8 Pensacola Diesel injectors / running worse - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-17-2009, 09:47 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
8 Pensacola Diesel injectors / running worse

Got a 2001 F550 truck with 235,000 miles on original injectors. Motor has had that "whipped" feeling too it for a while and this winter has began to start hard. Took it too my diesel mechanic (he works on 7.3's and 6.0's all day long in ambulance's) and he said 2 or 3 injectors at cold start up were not firing when cold and we decided it was best to change out everything. Reman injectors, new oem glow plugs, new wiring harness and gasket.

I did not tell him where i was going to buy the reman injectors. I ended up buying them from Pensacola Diesel in Florida for around $989. Got the injectors and gave them to my mechanic to install. He had the truck for two days. Called me back and said it was done and to come pick it up.

When I went to get the truck it was warm outside. Started it and was not to impressed. Didn't seem to act any better. Still had the "whipped" feeling to it. Started driving it down the road and it seemed the same as before. Except now it was acting like it had less power than before and had an occasional "surge" in power.

Drove the truck all day. Came home, parked it and decided i would try it in the morning. When morning came it was 18 degrees outside. Went out to start and turned over and sounded like it was fireing so i quit cranking and it died. Tried a couple more times and would not stay running. So i held the pedal to the floor and cranked. Now it was running and sputtering around and i slowly let off of the throttle and it barely stayed running by itself. Then it starts rolling out white smoke like a freight train and fills up the driveway.I let it warm up for 15 minutes and go to move it and when i put it in gear it almost dies, then it surges and takes off.

Drove it all day and it did an occasional surge here and there. Felt like it was running worse than before. Went back and told the mechanic and he said it sounds like ****ty injectors. I trust his work as he has a very good reputation. So I started doing some searching on google and I type in "Pensacola Diesel" and google fills in the rest by itself, "Pensacola Diesel Problems" This has led me to this site and I think I have made a terrible mistake by choosing their rebuilds. Truck is def running worse than before the injector swap.

I started reading on here about their terrible return policy and decided that I was not going to send my cores back into them just yet until I see how they handle this situation.

So now I have two sets of whipped injectors and about $2000 invested in a truck that runs worse than before.

Was thinking of buying all brand new injectors for $1900 and re-paying my mechanic to install them and then calling Pensacola and inform them of how their injectors performed against brand spanking new ones.

By this time I'm going to have about $4500 in this...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-18-2009, 01:12 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Install the injectors yourself... Its not hard at all and it will save you a ton of coin...

You missed the boat with those jokers...
Old 12-18-2009, 06:55 AM

Yeah, Pensacola doesn't have a great reputation and I'm sorry you had to learn the hard way. Best bet might be to do like you said -- swap out for factory injectors and then go after Pensacola diesel for your money. Small claims court and the BBB if needed.

--Snake
Old 12-18-2009, 07:05 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Well my mechanic charged me $315 to change the injectors plus the price of the oil change. At that price i don't think its worth the headache to do myself.
Old 12-18-2009, 07:32 AM
back in the saddle

Quote:
Originally Posted by kblazk View Post
Well my mechanic charged me $315 to change the injectors plus the price of the oil change. At that price i don't think its worth the headache to do myself.
I can understand that. More often than not these days my time is worth more than my money. Back in my younger single days I wouldn't think of paying someone to do something for me I was capable of doing myself. A wife and two young kids changes all that. No such thing as a day in the garage without being bothered every 15 minutes anymore...

Sorry you didn't find the org before you spent money with pensacola. I've never heard a good thing about them.
Old 12-18-2009, 11:31 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by shu873 View Post
Sorry you didn't find the org before you spent money with pensacola. I've never heard a good thing about them.
I will be sure to keep the forum update here as with the results of my dealings with Pensacola on the refund.
Old 01-06-2010, 11:02 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Ok everyone, heres the update...

I've got the 8 brand new Alliant Power injectors installed and running great. Truck seems starts on a dime now, first time, everytime. It also idles better and seems to have more power.

Now back to the Pensecola Diesel injectors.... I called them and explained what happened. The guy said he would take them back minus a 10% restocking fee. I told him I would be willing to do that but I said "whats stopping you guys from not giving me the refund once you get the parts back?" I said "would you be willing to send me a check before I send the injectors back?" He said "no". He didn't wanna do any kind of refund until he got the injectors first. I told him straight up "I don't trust your shop or your guys after what I've been reading on the forums."

So i then said, how about I do a chargeback on the original ammount with the credit card company and then I'll send them back to you? He said "you just go ahead and do that and see what happens, I'll contest it and I always get my money back." I said, "Oh, you mean this is a common thing that people are chargeing back for your injectors???" He said NO! I said "well sure sounds like it."

By this time it was close to closing time and I said I would call back tomorrow. I did some thinking and decided that if he needed the injectors before he gave me a refund then a UPS COD would be a win-win for both parties. I called back down and told the original guy again that I would be willing to do the COD. He said that he couldn't make that decision and that I would have to talk to the manager. He put the manager on and I explained everything to him. He said that they WOULD NOT do a COD at all. I said why, and he said that because then I could make a chargeback claim on the credit card and he would have no way to contest it. He still wants me to send the injectors to him first and then they will issue a credit card refund. He even gave me a RGA number to send back to their shop.

I still don't trust that they will give me the refund so I'm gonna hold back on sending them anything.

Anyone have any idea's? I'm thinking of talking with the card company about posibility of doing a chargeback right now.
Old 01-06-2010, 11:11 AM

I'd call your credit card company and tell them the situation you're in. Let them know that your intentions are to mail the injectors back expecting a refund from the company. Get tracking numbers, delivery / signature confirmation, and anything else you can do to prove they were shipped back.

Ask for something in writing, SIGNED, from the manager stating that you're supposed to get a refund minus 10%. An email is not acceptable.

If you don't get a refund, call your credit card company about the chargeback. They'll already have some heads up about what's going on and you'll have a better chance of getting your $$ back if they don't issue a refund.

AND DOCUMENT EVERYTHING. Write down who you spoke to, what the conversation was, the date, time, etc... Not just for PD, but with your credit card company too.
Old 01-06-2010, 07:50 PM

Man-thanks for the heads up!I know who to avoid now-sounds like a total nightmare!
Hope it all goes well for you!
Old 01-07-2010, 07:39 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Angry

I bought a 215 hp P pump from them But the code on the Pump was for 185 hp, Then I went to time it and the reading was way off called them back and they said they time all there pumps at 17 degrees.( when the pointer is locked its at 17 instead 12 )So I guess they call 185 hp pump timed at 17 degrees a 215 hp.I should have sent it back but I needed my truck, So I installed it ran fine the first month Then started hanging at 1000 to 1100 rpm at first it would only do it once month ,a year later does it once or 10 times a day. The smart a@# says the linkage is miss adjusted or the tp cable is frayed but you can take the linkage totally off and still does it. I tried to adj the low idle but when it unhangs it will idle to low to keep running(also when you try to adj the low idle ,it does nothing while its hung up) But revs fine, kind of weird , I wish I had sent it back. But I guess you get what you pay for. I would not let them rebuild a carb on a lawn mower.

Last edited by Talmadge; 02-12-2010 at 04:56 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.