Surprise under the truck today - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-16-2009, 04:22 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Surprise under the truck today

It was a balmy 2 degrees this morning when I tried to start my truck. On the sixth try, it was either going to start or have dead battries. It started, but was not happy. Before it turned cold, i replaced the GPR & GP's, had the batteries tested and did an oil change with Rotella 10-30. Last year, the truck would start when it was -10 degrees without plugging it in. I did however park it in the garage. With the hard start, I decided to change the oil again to Rotella synthetic 5-40 this weekend. Anyway, while the truck was warming up in the driveway, I thought I would shovel some snow. That is when I noticed something on the ground under the truck. I looked a little closer, and it was engine oil. It looks like it leaked from up above the back side of the lower radiator hose. I'm guessing it was spitting it out while I was cranking the engine. It is currently not leaking any oil. Would anyone have an idea where this would be leaking from and why?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-16-2009, 04:24 PM
Electrical Ogre

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
You're talking in the lower rad hose/below p/s pump area? Have a look at the oil cooler, the o-rings let go as they age.
Old 12-16-2009, 04:30 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

When I opened the hood, I could see some oil on the back side of the lower radiator hose. Directly below was the oil on the ground. If it is the o rings, would they leak all the time? The truck has not had a leak before, and it is not leaking at this time. Not sure if it will leak if I was to start it again today.
Old 12-16-2009, 06:25 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Yep..Oil cooler o-rings probably the front one but you might as well replace both sides..just did mine..$70 for the parts & 3 hours for the labor.
Old 12-16-2009, 07:41 PM
addicted to diesel

ya definatly oil cooler, mine would quit leaking after the oil was warm. i literally just did mine, but mine only cost $40 for parts cause i went to the international dealer(ford had quoted me 70) youll spend more time getting it in and out because of its location than actually replacing the oring. its 4 orings and 2 gaskets that are needed
Old 12-17-2009, 03:49 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Thanks for the input. It's back under the truck I go.
Old 12-17-2009, 05:01 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Also Note..... The hard part of the job is actually sliding the cooler pipe back into the elbows with the new o-rings on better to have a press then tapping with a hammer or mallet...the front elbow is made of a pop metal and will break easily..that will cost you about $100 if you break it.
Old 12-17-2009, 05:26 AM
Powerstroke Junkie

The thinner weight oil will find any potential leak and find a way out. What 10w 30 oil did you find? Was it approved for diesels? The cold causes everything to contract, it could be it was just the coldness, but I would still replace the O rings.
Old 12-17-2009, 09:39 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

I have always used Rotella T 10-30 in the winter and Rotella T 15-40 in the summer. Never had an oil leak before. After the truck started, the leak was gone. It does not leak while it sits or while it is running. It is like it just pushed the oil out while it was cranking. I'm going to switch the oil tonight and watch and see if it leaks while I crank the engine.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.