Noob question: battery tender hook-up? also general ?s re: truck sitting for a year - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-15-2009, 08:53 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Noob question: battery tender hook-up? also general ?s re: truck sitting for a year

OK I will soon be picking up the truck listed in my signature below. This is from an estate sale and the truck has been started only intermittently in the last year. I've heard good things about Battery Tenders and I would like to have one for the long term, but I figure I could buy one now and have the current owner put it on the truck to keep the batts charged for when I go to get it.

So please school me a little on the electricals of the PSD. I've owned a diesel Toyota Landcruiser with NATO spec 24v electricals. I assume that the PSD is 12v with the batteries in parallel, not series like my old cruiser. Correct that if I'm wrong. If I'm right, based on the Battery Tender website, I can buy 1 12v battery tender and hook the positive to the positive of one battery, and the negative has to have some kind of wire? between the other battery and the tender to load balance the batteries.

My question is, if I'm a noob instructing a greater noob in how to hook this up (the truck is 4 hours from me), what should I tell them. I think I have to refer to the battery on the driver's side vs. the one on the passenger's side etc. So which battery should get the positive, which the negative, and the wire?

Also, any general other things I should think about for a truck that essentially hasn't really been driven for a year? It's been started, but I'm not sure if it's even gone around the block. My plan is to drive it straight to the Ford dealer and get all the fluids changed as well as a once-over before I drive it 200 miles home.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-15-2009, 08:59 PM
Banned

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Wish I could answer your question but im not sure there, Im just amazed toyota diesels are so rare to come by im jealous! haha. welcome to the .org! Im a former toyota owner...
Old 12-15-2009, 09:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dietoremain View Post
Wish I could answer your question but im not sure there, Im just amazed toyota diesels are so rare to come by im jealous! haha. welcome to the .org! Im a former toyota owner...
Yeah I had to import it from Canada, then had to sell it back to Canada after I lost my job lol

Based on my experience and international reputation, the most reliable and capable vehicles in the world have been Toyota and Mercedes diesels. I have owned both (still own a Mercedes). Based on all I've researched, the Ford PSD is the next great vehicle in this tradition. Can't wait to get into this one.
Old 12-15-2009, 10:20 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

I store my 2wd psd in the winter and hook a battery tender up while it is stored. I generally hook only to the drivers side battery but you should be able to hook to either one since they are both already connected together in parrallel with large battery cables.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.