Engine blow-by - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-15-2009, 04:13 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Question Engine blow-by

Okay, so yesterday I was pulling into my driveway when I got a very strong odor of something burning and I lifted the hood with the engine still running and I saw smoke pumping from underneath the intake tubing of the CAI. I looked into it further and I found a disconnected hose. It was the very short hose that runs from the top left engine cover into the bottom of the intake tube closest to the turbo.

Is this tube designed for something like the crankcase ventilator? Whether it is or not, is it normal that there is white/bluish smoke to be coming out of that hose? I know these are high compression engines and the engine has to breathe, but does it sound like I have blowby? Or maybe excessive blowby??????

I reconnected this hose and no more smoke and the truck seems to run fine, and runs strong still. But now I'm worried that there is smoke getting sucked in along with the air from the intake.

Thanks

Last edited by E'sStrokr01; 12-15-2009 at 04:26 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-15-2009, 04:36 PM

eh, it's ok. with it running, take off the oil cap and see how much "wind" you get out of the hole.
Old 12-15-2009, 04:48 PM
Powerstroke Techie

Quote:
Originally Posted by E'sStrokr01 View Post
But now I'm worried that there is smoke getting sucked in along with the air from the intake.

Thanks
This is one of the reasons to do the CCV mod
Old 12-15-2009, 04:51 PM
Shaking the Bush Boss

yea, CCV mod! Get with Raul or NCHornet about one....
Old 12-15-2009, 04:57 PM
Powerstroke Techie

Or do the DIY style for free if you got a piece of hose laying around.
Old 12-15-2009, 05:29 PM

DIY CCV Mod

anyone have a write up on the DIY CCV mod? please tell me
Old 12-16-2009, 05:18 AM
Powerstroke Junkie

I wouldn't do the DIY version, running a hose out the back is messy, stinks, and looks like you are driving a piece of junk. But more on that later. Back to the OP.
Yes, this was part of the CCV system on the 7.3, not a very good design but there is a correct way to do this mod that will not change that flow of air, but keep all those oily vapors out of your intake. I am sure your intake boots look very crappy and may even be leaking oil down into the valley, if it isn't now it will soon be. That is why every PSD, 7.3 TO THE 6.4 should do the CCV mod, but do it correctly. I did mine in 2003 and have never touched my intake boots since. You can see what they look like, I believe I still have pics in my sig. Chuck has seen my engine and can tell you they look like new!! Chuck also runs my CCV mod as do many members on this and other forums. Over 400 sold and on the road. Now let's talk about blowby. All 7.3's have blow by and have quite a bit. I have seen so many replies over the years where a member sees a fine mist coming out of the oil fill tube and people will tell him he needs a new motor!!! Every PSD I have ever seen from brand new to 800k+ miles all have this. I have heard if you can set the cap on top of the oil fill tube and it blows off it is excessive, but I really don't think you can check it this way!! If you are worried have a compression test done, but these engines are made to last a long, long time. As for the correct way to do the CCV Mod here is a link. PM me with any ? you might have.

CCV Mod
Old 12-16-2009, 06:15 AM

Thumbs up

Good stuff Hornet. Did I read that correctly that all I need to get seperately is the hose? And can you recommend a place to mount the canister and about how much hose I'd need? Thanks
Old 12-16-2009, 07:17 AM
Powerstroke Junkie

Drivers side frame rail as close to the engine as possible. 12-14ft will be more than enough. Get 3/4" with ID of 5/8, step by step instructions will be included with the kit, just make you sure you order for the correct year. I can get one out this afternoon if you place the order early enough, will ship USPS Priority Mail.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.