Pulling someone out of snow...what gear, what point to tow from? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-13-2009, 05:11 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Pulling someone out of snow...what gear, what point to tow from?

OK, here we go...
Today in PA we had a freakish freezing rain this morning. Everyone was sliding off the road. I had a few buddys call and ask to be pulled out of ditches. Was fine because of ice melted but they slide off the road good.
These were all just lightweight cars so wasn't a big deal. I just used my tow strap and pulled them out with my front hooks.

Questions:

1) What do you use to pull? chain, tow strap, something else?

2) Where do you tie to when pulling someone out? front hooks (I don't think you get as much traction), put something into the reciever (2" ball, pintle hook, something else), anywhere else?

3) What gear do you use? I put it in 4x4 low and 1 on my automatic.

4) I now have a TW chip with Daily, Tow, heavy tow, street, extreme. I usually drive in daily. Should I put it in something else to help get more torque to pull someone out of a ditch?

I have seen videos of guys using their f250 and f350 pulling out a semi with a trailer that just slid into some mush and was stuck. That is the kind of stuff I want to be able to do. Just would like to know the gears, hookup point, correct chip setting, etc. before the situation ever comes up.

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-14-2009, 05:22 AM
Powerstroke Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by mick883 View Post
OK, here we go...
Today in PA we had a freakish freezing rain this morning. Everyone was sliding off the road. I had a few buddys call and ask to be pulled out of ditches. Was fine because of ice melted but they slide off the road good.
These were all just lightweight cars so wasn't a big deal. I just used my tow strap and pulled them out with my front hooks.

Questions:

1) What do you use to pull? chain, tow strap, something else?

Always a strap, if you have to use a chain put a blanket in the middle or at both ends, not a pretty sight when a chain breaks.

2) Where do you tie to when pulling someone out? front hooks (I don't think you get as much traction), put something into the reciever (2" ball, pintle hook, something else), anywhere else?

Tow hooks front and tow hitch rings in the back

3) What gear do you use? I put it in 4x4 low and 1 on my automatic.
Depends on how heavy the other vehicle is and how they are stuck, sometimes just 4 high, sometimes just D, sometimes 4 low and 1 st gear!!

4) I now have a TW chip with Daily, Tow, heavy tow, street, extreme. I usually drive in daily. Should I put it in something else to help get more torque to pull someone out of a ditch?

Shouldn't be needed, but going back to stock may be easier to keep traction on slick roads.

I have seen videos of guys using their f250 and f350 pulling out a semi with a trailer that just slid into some mush and was stuck. That is the kind of stuff I want to be able to do. Just would like to know the gears, hookup point, correct chip setting, etc. before the situation ever comes up.

Thanks.
Have fun and be careful.
Old 12-14-2009, 05:59 AM
Serving Our Country!

Send a message via AIM to 1tonpower
imo.. its not a good idea to be pulling out real heavy loads in revers. the front axle takes on a lot of extras weight when you do it like that. though it does help with traction. things like axle joints, ring and pinions brake a lot easier in these conditions..
i hook to the rear or my truck when ever possible.

i use straps and d-rings and a chain as a lost resort.

soft metal chains well stretch before they brake grade 8 and better brake with out warning, what ever you do, don't put a shock load on a chain, like having 5 feet of slack and mashing the gas. yourll be buying a new rear slider or tail gate will have battle scars

be safe and make a lil extra $$$ on you joy rides
Old 12-14-2009, 08:33 AM

I don't really worry about it. I use a 15' hooked strap rated at 12.5K and a looped 20' strap rated at 18K. I use a D ring hitch on my truck or the front tow hooks depending on where their car is. I never use both straps together though. I hook to their tow points under either bumper. I normally try in Drive in 2WD and if I need a little more traction switch to 4WD HI, but of course I don't currently have 4WD at all but 1000 pounds on the axle work ok in 2WD. Hope it helps.

oh, IMHO going into 2 or 1 on your auto isn't going to make any difference. All it's gonna do is force you to stay in that gear, but you shouldn't be going fast enough to need to change gears. 4Lo seems over kill, but would work.
Old 12-14-2009, 08:58 AM

I'd say recovery strap because it's meant to RECOVER vehicles. It has stretch built into it. So if you really needed to, you could give it slack and hit the gas and yank on it. But only when you need to. I got one of the 30' 18k lb rated recovery straps with extra padding on the ends from Tractor supply for 30 bucks. Then a drawbar to go in the receive hitch and a shackle to connect to that.
Reese Farm & Ranch Class III Interlock Ball Mount, 2 in. Drop - 1891501 | Tractor Supply Company
1⁄2 in. Anchor Shackle with Screw Pin - 3522190 | Tractor Supply Company
Something like these.
Old 12-14-2009, 10:23 AM
Powerstroke Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1tonpower View Post
imo.. its not a good idea to be pulling out real heavy loads in revers. the front axle takes on a lot of extras weight when you do it like that. though it does help with traction. things like axle joints, ring and pinions brake a lot easier in these conditions..
i hook to the rear or my truck when ever possible.

i use straps and d-rings and a chain as a lost resort.

soft metal chains well stretch before they brake grade 8 and better brake with out warning, what ever you do, don't put a shock load on a chain, like having 5 feet of slack and mashing the gas. yourll be buying a new rear slider or tail gate will have battle scars

be safe and make a lil extra $$$ on you joy rides
Better not get caught. Most states have laws about pulling people out for money without a wreckers license!!
Old 12-14-2009, 10:31 AM

Well just be nice about it and maybe they'll offer you a gift, legally speaking of course
Old 12-14-2009, 10:58 AM
Serving Our Country!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCHornet View Post
Better not get caught. Most states have laws about pulling people out for money without a wreckers license!!
i only except tips or phone numbers
Old 12-14-2009, 02:26 PM

Ok so far I think the following;

1) use a tow strap and not chains (I would really like to find that 30' 18K strap from tractor supply)

2) tow from the hitch in the back (helps to give better traction pulling down on the rear end)

Still not sure what to use in the hitch. Will the open ball mount and an anchor and screw be enough to pull? Other suggestions to use or is that safe?

I prefer to have overkill. I am not saying that I am going to be out pulling every day, I just want to have the knowlegde and right equipment for when it does happen.
Old 12-14-2009, 02:39 PM
Serving Our Country!

get a pintel hitch for your truck.. or get a d-ring stet up. it slides right into to your hitch.

Cabela's -- 30' Recovery Strap with Sewn Loops

here yea go. its worth the money if your going to be using it alot. take care of it and it will last a long time.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.