what do you guys think? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-13-2009, 11:19 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
what do you guys think?

so im going to try to make this short and sweet....

i took my truck in the other day to the ford dealer to get the safety recall done. i had been hearing a poping noise from the front end for about a week or two. so i asked them to check that out. they showed me what all was wrong instead of telling me. heres the list...

ball joints
inner tie rod passenger side
sway arm bushings
trac arm

about $1900 worth of repairs... so heres my delima i just had them do my ball joints about 10 months ago at the ford dealer. they told me the warranty was only 12 months 12,000 miless and im past the mileage part. the truck had 118,000 when they did the ball joints and 148,000 when it was in the dealer for the recall. the mechanic told me that once you replace ball joints in these trucks you shouldnt have to do it again since they have come up with a new ball joint design.

so what actions do you guys think i should take? is this even right? cuz im pretty upset about the matter but i didnt have any time to sit and argue the other day.

thanks in advance for the help
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-13-2009, 06:28 PM

bump anyone?
Old 12-13-2009, 06:56 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
My past experience with dealers is that unless you have warranty in writing what the mechanic had told you does not carry an ounce with them and in court.

Almost every dealer I've dealt with was a crook. Over the years I learned to never buy an extended warranty especially the one where I did not have time to look through line by line and fully understand its meaning.

In your case, the written agreement is 12 months or 12K miles and you already passed that 12K limit. The dealer is no longer on the hook to do anything for you. YOu can quote the mechanic's verbal statement all day long and it would not make any difference to dealer or to the judge if you take it to small claim court.
Old 12-13-2009, 07:03 PM

there wasnt even a warranty at the time of service 10 months ago. i was unaware of any kind of warranty.

but the reason im mad is because they did the service then 10 months later they tell me once you do them once you should never have to do them again. but they need to be replace??? thats the part i dont understand. i hope this is making sence its kinda hard to type out
Old 12-13-2009, 07:10 PM

Basically you got taken by trusting the honor in their verbal expression. Unfortunately in today world unless it is in writing or you had it audio recorded to prove they did tell you so, you do not have a leg to stand on when you go to court. Sorry to hear about it but that is the world we are living in today. Don't ask me how I know about it. I learn to view dealers as crook when I deal with them, which is rare nowadays. I usually take my vehicle to a shop where I had good experience and felt comfortable with the owner's integrity.

May be it would make you feel better to know that I am working in white collar world where people I deal with are 90% college grads, but yet there are quite a few whom I would not take their verbal statements as binding. I always demand a written contract, be it a memo or just an email, but has to be written in order to have an audit trail to refer to.
Old 12-13-2009, 07:29 PM
aluminum tubing engineer

i seriously doubt you need ball joints...
Old 12-13-2009, 07:46 PM

im going to take it to my gfs parents mechanic tomorrow to have them check it out. her parents own a company and have many company vehicles and they have a great relationship with this guy. so im going to see what he thinks about it. and im just going to be straight forward with him and tell him what all ford has said.
Old 12-14-2009, 05:03 AM
Powerstroke Junkie

My best advice to you is learn to turn a wrench, it will save you thousands!! I am being 100% serious, you wouldn't believe the stories I hear, but not all dealers are bad. One of the only people I would ever let touch my truck works at a Ford dealer as a diesel tech. So it depends on the tech. It is very easy to check for BJ's, jack the front tire off the ground, stick a 6ft 2x4 under the tire a lift up while some else is looking at the BJ, if there is movement up and down it is a bad BJ, grab the tire and pull out and push in, if there is movement in and out you have a bad wheel bearing. BJ's can go bad really quick and they have to be shot to start making a noise, but for all you know the tech could have used a 3lb sledge to install them, see how important doing the work yourself can be. FWIW all Ford parts come with a 12/12 warranty, your warranty is expired, sorry but why should they replace them? What BJ's did they install? Do they have greaseable zerk fittings in them? That is why the stock BJ's don't last, there is no way to lube them. That is why the only BJ's I will use are MOOG joints. If they did use a joint with zerks did you lube them at all in 30K? The noise you are hearing could very well be just the sway bar end link bushings. It takes 10-15 min to drop both end links and just tie the swar bar up so it doesn't drag. See if the noise goes away, if it does you can replace just the bushings ( a real pain) or order two new end links , $45 each, and be done with that dealer, and be glad you did it yourself. There are plenty of people on this forum that will help you get'r done!! You can PM me anytime.
Old 12-14-2009, 12:28 PM

NCH im not trying to be an *** but i know how to turn a wrench. i also do as much work as possible on this truck. but i had heard the ball joints were a huge pain so i didnt wanna screw something up. as for the greese points i do not know. i just didnt think i would go through another set in 30K. thats kinda why im upset. as for the noise i do plan on doing the bushings and what not here in the next week or two im just waiting on a few checks from some jobs. (im self employed so i dont get a steady pay check every two weeks).
Old 12-14-2009, 04:28 PM
aluminum tubing engineer

as usual, good tips from NCH...ill add some of that to my file-o-stuff

check em out nbo...again, id be seriously suprised if you need ball joints again
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.