FUEL TANK QUESTION AND HELP!! - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-11-2009, 07:40 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
FUEL TANK QUESTION AND HELP!!

I have a 2000 CC 7.3 Powerstroke and I am having a problem with my Fuel Tank and I am needing some help!! For starters it has one tank and is a Short Bed, can anyone tell me how big the tank is?? I cannot put past 21 gallons in it but I know its bigger then that!! Here is the next Problem, I ran out of Diesel twice but its always running out at 1/4 of a tank and I dont know if the fuel gauge is bad or if something else is going on but I have never ran out of fuel in my life until I got this truck and it sucks I can only go to like 240 miles before I start having to push this BIG DAMN TRUCK!! I bought the truck from a 70 year old man and I am probably sure it never got under a half of a tank with him but I just dont like getting fuel that often plus I cant stand stuff that dont work! so I am sure someone else has had this issue!! Please let me know whats up...
thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-11-2009, 07:53 PM
Emergency Services

I have a 2000 EC Short Bed. We have the same tank and i can guarantee you it's either a 29 or 30 gallon tank. (I always get it confused)
Old 12-11-2009, 07:57 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

ok, Thanks now I just need to figure out why this damn thing keeps running out of Diesel when there is 7 or 8 gallons left!! thats another 125 miles I could be driving instead of walking and beging for a can to put diesel in my truck!
Old 12-11-2009, 08:11 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Send a message via Yahoo to F250 Fever
Quote:
Originally Posted by markiebud View Post
ok, Thanks now I just need to figure out why this damn thing keeps running out of Diesel when there is 7 or 8 gallons left!! thats another 125 miles I could be driving instead of walking and beging for a can to put diesel in my truck!
i know weird huh when i fuel up it usually says i got about a 21 22 23 gallon tank but after i fill it up and drive about 3miles its says ive already wasted about a quarter of a tank??????
Old 12-11-2009, 09:26 PM
Emergency Services

Quote:
Originally Posted by markiebud View Post
I think i know what your talking about. When i filled up today the needle had actually fallen below E yet when i filled up completely, even topping her off, It only put in 26 gallons. Clearly leaving 3 gallons in the tank. Maybe it's a good thing...keeps us from running the tank completely dry
Old 12-12-2009, 02:47 AM
Powerstroke Junkie

You have a 29 gal tank. Sounds like your pick up is bent upward or dislodged. Dropping the tank and pulling the inards out should make it obvious. I would do the Hutch mods while you have it down.

NCH
Old 12-12-2009, 02:52 AM
Other vehicle is an F250

Dropping the tank and doing the Harpoon mod allows me to get 35 or so gallons in my 29 gallon tank now. Well worth the effort. Clean the sending unit internal filter sreens while you have it out. Good luck.
Old 12-12-2009, 01:07 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

what are the Harpoon or Hutch mods?
I haven't heard of these.
my truck already has the larger 38 gallon tank, but I would like to hear about these mods.
Old 12-12-2009, 03:01 PM
Other vehicle is an F250

I've never heard of the Hutch mod? The Harpoon mod is simply cutting the yellow vent tube on the inside of the tank. It allows the tank to be filled to within one gallon of full before foaming. Dropping Fuel Tank
Old 12-13-2009, 06:28 AM
Powerstroke Junkie

It was called the Hutch Mod long before Harpoon Mod. Here you go.

Welcome to guzzle's In-tank Hutch Mod Web Page

NCH
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.