Leveling Kit questions - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-11-2009, 01:25 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Leveling Kit questions

All, I'm new to this diesel world but not to the world of 4x4's.
I've recently purchased an '01 250 Crew cab and absolutely love this truck in the 3 weeks that I've had it although I've only put 350+ miles on it thus far.

The truck came with 265/75/16's on the stock 16x8 polished wheels and are
going to need to be replaced some time after the 1st of the year.
I've been doing my homework and found that I can run up to a 305 with minimal rubbing without any type of lift. I probably will end up with a 285 or 295 tire for now.

My question is I'm sick of "driving down hill" all the time. I'm looking to put a leveling kit on the front of this rig and I'd like to do it before I spend $ on a new set of tires. I've looked at all the different manufacturers and we all know that everybody has the best thing since sliced bread out there on the market.

What I'm trying to do is narrow it down between a few brands that I've found to be better (IMHO). I want to keep the stock ride so I've been leaning towards the hanger systems instead of add a leafs (I've had those and I know what that does to ride quality).

So my question out of all the manufacturers out there which one is the best? I've looked at ProComp, Rough Country, Icon, Fabtech and a couple more that I can't remember the names of. Now let's face it some of these kits look like complete crap! They look like they've been pressed out of sheet metal.

I like the Icon stuff but man they're proud of those babies. Top Gun has the Pro Comp 3" w/shocks for $300+ which isn't too bad.
How about the Rough Country stuff? Is anybody running that kit? Fabtech how is their stuff?

I'm not going to be taking this thing into the hills to go wheelin' a whole bunch but as I mentioned I want to keep the stock ride as much as possible and hopefully someday I will be pulling a 5th wheel with toys in the back to get away from all the madness.

Believe me if it were up to me this thing would have at least at minimum a 4" kit and some 35"s but the boss says no way Jose! So I'm just going to get the thing level and run a set of 285/295's and be "happy" with that I guess?

Your thoughts on the hanger systems and why, good, bad or indifferent.

BADFXD
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-11-2009, 02:02 PM
aluminum tubing engineer

ebay leveling kit...less than 100 clams and will do everything ya need, its what we ran until the 31's wore out
Old 12-11-2009, 02:08 PM
aluminum tubing engineer

here what the kit looks like...

and heres what the truck sat like with them on...

keep in mind thats with a 35" toyo MT...which didnt fit right, but it s the only pic i can find of her before the lift

Last edited by wingnut; 12-12-2009 at 07:42 AM. Reason: wrong pic :)
Old 12-11-2009, 02:18 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Leveling Kit

Were there any other things to adjust or change with the leveling kit added? Thanks, Fred
Old 12-12-2009, 03:29 AM
Powerstroke Junkie

Those are just extended shackles, they can be used but you need to use a modified trac bar bracket or an adjustable trac bar, or both, to keep everything centered up. Many don't do this correctly and when they are done the axle sits 3/4" off center, it's basic geometry!!! So to answer your question the best is the mini spring pac by DR , not sure who DR is now? That is what I will be using when I finally get around to picking the front end up where it belongs!!!

Please don't post how you used the stock trac bar and everything is good. You may think so but it isn't. Ask anyone who does suspensions for a living and they will tell you.
Old 12-12-2009, 04:11 AM

Leveling....

When you say "mini spring pac" are you talking about the added arched leaf spring set-up? thanks, Fred
Old 12-12-2009, 05:17 AM

Send a message via MSN to 03_Turbo7.3

i think this is what he is referring too
Old 12-12-2009, 05:18 AM

Send a message via MSN to 03_Turbo7.3
99-04 Ford F250/F350 2 or 2.5 Leveling Lift Kit on eBay.ca (item 200414166156 end time 14-Dec-09 14:51:09 EST)

i think this is what he is referring too[/QUOTE]
Old 12-12-2009, 05:47 AM

That ebay link is kinda funny. He is selling a leveling kit for a 99-04 truck yet he has a pic of an 05-07 truck to show what his kit does.... Those two trucks have a totally different suspension.
Old 12-12-2009, 07:35 AM
aluminum tubing engineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCHornet View Post
Please don't post how you used the stock trac bar and everything is good. You may think so but it isn't. Ask anyone who does suspensions for a living and they will tell you.
easy killer...you assume much...as a matter of fact, i DID have an adjustable bar on so i cannot speak from experience of running without it

FORD SUPER DUTY F250 F350 FABTECH ADJUSTABLE TRAC BAR:eBay Motors (item 220524203470 end time Dec-18-09 18:52:45 PST)

so, theres one on ebay for 179 clams...in my defense i clean forgot about it as it sold within 24 hours of pulling it off in favor of the Donahoe kit
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.