A few general questions... - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-23-2007, 09:22 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Send a message via AIM to CamTom12
A few general questions...

Hi!

Well, here's an issue I get...

At around 1500rpm and part throttle I get a surging, but without the trailer. Is this the same turbo surge ya'll have talked about?

Also, I'm pretty handy with the SI motors (I've got a TA I've built that should run mid 11's on the new set-up), but I've never had much CI or FI experience. I'm trying to make the beepbeepbeepbeep thing as efficient as I can so I can save some money on fuel as it's my daily driver... So far I put a B&S airbox on it and it seems that's helping considerable (hard to tell, I keep leaning into the right foot more now just to hear the turbo spool and the airbox suck the air as it does, haha), but I tend to shift at 1500rpms to keep fuel consumption lower. So far I tend to get around 20mpg bone stock with mixed highway/city on a stock set-up. I haven't run a tank through with the air box yet to see any mpg gains on that guy. I want to run a turbo-back exhaust to help in that realm, but I know in the naturally aspirated world that as you open up the exhaust torque peaks shift higher in the rpm band. That's great and all, but I want to be driving around my torque peak so it takes less pedal to maintain my normal level of acceleration for less fuel burn. Would stepping up to a 4" system raise my torque peak and make for a slushier bottom-end or would it help the turbo spool faster and make for a torquier bottom-end?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-23-2007, 10:26 PM
Premium Member

With the turbo diesel, you will find that opening up the intake and exhaust will give you better low and mid range torque. I have the AFE stage 2, and 4'' turbo back Magnaflow duals . When I put them on at the same time, it woke up the bottom end nicely, the DP F 5 chip turned it into a screamer. As far as the surge goes, it's usually noticeable when pulling a load more than empty. What you have could be a problem with the fuel injectors, perhaps 1 not quite up to snuff. But I am not a tech, just going by my experiences.

Gord.
Old 03-24-2007, 07:10 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

I was hoping it wasn't injectors, haha

I was thinking about getting some new injectors and sending them off to Dynomite Diesel Performance to get them extrude honed and balanced. I know they're not a sponsor but I saw their ad in Diesel World... are there any sponsors that perform that mod? Would it be worth it for fuel mileage/power/reliability? I had my injectors flow-matched for my LS1 and that really balanced out the afr helping keep me from running a lean bank/cylinder, but then again that's not as important in the diesel world as there's no such thing as detonation, hahaha

Thanks again for any and all help!
Old 03-24-2007, 10:29 AM
Premium Member

If you look on the home page of the forum, you will find a blurb stating that Dynomite Diesel is one of our sponsors, just go to the sponsor page and there will be a link for them, make sure to mention that you are a member of the forum here, could be good for a better price.

Gord.
Old 03-24-2007, 10:36 AM
BIG TRUCK, SMALL DRIVER

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamTom12 View Post
I was hoping it wasn't injectors, haha

I was thinking about getting some new injectors and sending them off to Dynomite Diesel Performance to get them extrude honed and balanced. I know they're not a sponsor but I saw their ad in Diesel World... are there any sponsors that perform that mod? Would it be worth it for fuel mileage/power/reliability? I had my injectors flow-matched for my LS1 and that really balanced out the afr helping keep me from running a lean bank/cylinder, but then again that's not as important in the diesel world as there's no such thing as detonation, hahaha

Thanks again for any and all help!
Detonation is GOOD

If you have hgih miles, it should help alot to get the injectors matches and cleaned up. It should also help with just rebuilding them. I just removed my 175Kmile injectors, and the nozzles were pretty dirty, even after running Diesel Kleen for the last 3 years. It had 145K on it when I got it, so who knows how it was maintained and if it idled alot. I hope my mileage picks up a little. We'll find out!
Old 03-24-2007, 07:33 PM
Premium Member

You may want to consider the DIY injector kit out there as well.

Performance Injectors for 7.3L Ford Power Strokes

HEUI-Injector-Teardown-and-Assembly

The first link is the injector kits, and the second link is an article on tearing down and puting them back togeather. Hope it helps.

Gord.
Old 03-24-2007, 09:24 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by straycat View Post
If you look on the home page of the forum, you will find a blurb stating that Dynomite Diesel is one of our sponsors
...and I'm retarded, haha

Thanks!

So it does sound like that surge is an injector issue?
Old 03-24-2007, 11:49 PM
Premium Member

I am not a tech, so I don't want to say yes and possible lead you in the wrong direction, your best bet is to do a buzz test and check the contribution on the injectors to find out if they are the problem. This is just very similar to a problem I had on my truck, and it turned out to be a bad injector. You have not mentioned whether you have pulled any codes off it yet, might be a good idea, give you more to work with.

Gord.
Old 03-25-2007, 12:27 AM
The Fat Mod

yeah, what he said...
Old 03-25-2007, 01:10 AM
Premium Member

hahahaha thats funny.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.