QUESTIONS ABOUT HUB LOCKING??? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-08-2009, 10:56 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
QUESTIONS ABOUT HUB LOCKING???

hey guys, it snowed a good 6 inches tonight and i was driving home from my girl friends house and i put it in 4high while it was in neutral.

this is my first 4x4 and i have not really used it yet except for when i pulled a chevy out of a huge ditch using 4low hahahahaha....

anyways.... can yall inform me on the 4 wheel drive.... do i need to lock my hubs or is it automatic? how fast can i go in 4high?? any other tips or facts??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-08-2009, 11:58 PM

locking should be automatic (if you have shift on the fly) it is possible it they will not work- if you have a vacuum leak.

55mph max speed in 4high only. 4lo is slow speeds only, I forget, but I think less than 20mph suggested.
Old 12-09-2009, 01:20 AM
Banned

If you have the switch on the dash, and your vacuum lines are good, switching it into 4hi (any time below 55mph) will automatically turn the hubs, after the tire has gone 1 rotation.

If you have the switch on the dash, and you are stuck while in 2wd, you will need to manually turn the hubs because it will not be able to rotate the tires 1 rotation.

I don't know about the manual t-case, you probably have to lock the hubs manually but idk.
Old 12-09-2009, 02:32 AM

I have the shifter on the floor and have to lock my hubs in manually. I don't think think that a manual lock transfer case has manual hubs. Either way I like the manual lock hubs for the security reason that I know when there locked there locked
Old 12-09-2009, 02:46 AM

If you have manually locking hubs can you leave them locked or do you have to unlock them the reason I ask is that I want to get some rims and I dont want the center caps that are cut out if I can leave them locked I will (without hurting anything) and get rims that have a full center cap
Old 12-09-2009, 02:51 AM

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
leaving them locked causes the front axles to spin all the time. I would unlock them. No u-joint noise or wear on them for no reason
Old 12-09-2009, 04:16 AM

Thanks for the info well maybe Ill still get the complete center caps with the rims and take my chances I dont go 4 wheelin
Old 12-09-2009, 05:10 AM

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
it will also steer funny at full turns when the 4wd is engaged(just axles)
Old 12-09-2009, 05:19 AM
Powerstroke Junkie

Hold on, some bad info in this thread!!!! Dude look on the back of the drivers side visor, if you have a 4x4 it will be printed exactly how to drive a 4x4. Since you have ESOF system the lock on the hubs is a back up in case the electronic system fails, usually this will happen due to a vaccum leak at the back of the hub because nobody performs proper maintenance and inspects these lines for cracks and splits. 4 Hi as already said can be shifted into at speeds less than 55, I like the slower the better, but thats me, no need to put the trans in Nuetral. For 4 low you must be at a dead stop and in Nuetral!!!!! Don't try and shift into 4 low while moving or you will do serious damage!! If you ever have problems with 4x4 unlocking back up 20 ft and see if that takes the bind out. But read your visor and your owners manual!!!

NCH
Old 12-09-2009, 07:17 AM

Jump on em NCH! lol

He's right though. I found out al this info by reading my owner's manual. This is the 1st 4X4 i've owed and it has ESOF. If you don't have your owner's manual or your truck was purchased used and didn't come with one, you can go to genuineservice.com and get a pdf version for free. (My truck didn't come with one either)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.