questions from a NEWBIE - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-08-2009, 05:31 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
questions from a NEWBIE

I bought a 2000 Powerstroke 4x4 CC with Automatic and 230,000 miles and the truck had never been touched in any way!! Well a week with me and I have gone mad!! I have put a 3 inch level kit, 20 inch Helios with 35 tires, DIY Intake, Straight exhaust and the biggest mod I did was tonight and that is the TS Performance chip with Stock, HI, 50, 80, 100, 140 setting and all I can Say is OMG!! but this is where the questions come to play!

I put the truck on the 100 setting and I looked back when i left the drive way and its the first time I have seen smoke and the power was unreal, I thought I was in my vette that was in the garage but when I got to the stop sign I decided to let it run threw the gears and I am a big drag racer and could swear the valves were on the verge of floating so is this a concern with these motors? I know now for a doubt why people go through transmissions so I better start saving, after that I put the truck on the 80 setting and I am sure thats where I will leave it. Especially until my gauges come in. I have never even heard it suck air real hard or the Turbo that much until this chip and its unbelievable and I cant even start to describe how much more this truck has improved and to smoke 35 inch tires on the 80 setting in second gear is amazing... so is there a fear of valves floating?? I didnt think they would let the RPMS go that high with the chip thats what is concerning me?
Thanks

Last edited by markiebud; 12-08-2009 at 05:58 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-08-2009, 05:40 PM
Banned

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Dont worry bout the engine.. the 7.3 is solid. but get a built tranny ASAP.
Old 12-08-2009, 06:02 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Thats what I here but it really does concern me, I have never heard it go that high in the RPM range and i really feel like it was on the verge of floating the valves but maybe because I am just not really use to the truck and the Diesel aspect but I did drive one for 7 years when I was a MEDIC and I guess I can tell on myself now because I tried everything in the world to Blow one up and I never could!! LOL, and I even would do Neutral Slams and hold it in Low Gear floored forever! Well I have done alot of growing up since then but it was FUN!!
Old 12-09-2009, 05:50 AM
Powerstroke Junkie

No valves floating are not a issue with the 7.3, and the 7.3 is a great engine, but they fail just like everything else so don't buy into "they are bullet proof" because I can put you in touch with lots of people who will tell you they aren't and have the CC statement to prove it. I don't see gauges in your mods, running tunes without gauges isn't smart!! So get gauges now!!!!! I would also support the auto trans with a tuned valvebody. You need to do the supporting mods before you add more ponies!!! Adding 100HP to a powertrain that wasn't designed for it is going to cause failure eventually, I don't care who built it!!
So slow down and do this the right way, the first time!!

NCH
Old 12-09-2009, 06:44 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

I totally agree and understand, I am going to start saving for the the tranny for sure! I have gauges on the way and I didnt leave it on this setting more then a 1 mile but I was just shocked that there was that much power just sitting there hiding. I am used to Gasoline stuff and I never had any idea that just a chip would do so much. I did the exhaust and seen no improvement, I then did the DIY airfilter and I still seen little to no improvement and I have to admit I just assumed that was going to be the case with the Chip but I was for sure dead wrong!! I just didnt think there was that kind of extra power just sitting there, I think I am going to leave it on the 80 setting and check fuel mileage and see where I am at. This truck was a DOG on the interstate and this morning all the lugging and lack of power was gone, I felt like I was driving a completely different truck then I had bought. I know they are not bullet-proof because that statement will get you into big trouble!! Plus I see alot of people who say in their Sigs and when they are selling the trucks that the motor was rebuilt at 100-150,000 so that shows me that they are far from bullet proof. I just hope mine stays together and continues to run as good as it is right now, I am not the hot rodding type when it comes to my trucks but the extra power is great for interstate and all the lugging gone..
Old 12-09-2009, 07:16 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Your also going to need to do a Wicked Wheel or your going to have extreme turbo surge under load.
Old 12-09-2009, 07:19 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Yeah this truck is starting to be like my Wife!! I can already see that it never stops does it?? Once you think this is all I need then there is something else lurking around the corner!! LOL
Old 12-09-2009, 07:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by markiebud View Post
Yeah this truck is starting to be like my Wife!! I can already see that it never stops does it?? Once you think this is all I need then there is something else lurking around the corner!! LOL
Yeah but it doesn't talk back.
Old 12-09-2009, 07:46 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Isnt that the damn truth!! I do feel like once you get the tranny done they are pretty much bullet proof as long as you take care of them from that point forward. I need to spend a little money in some areas and I feel like I will do front u-joints and a few other little things thats just maintenance. I have a friend who says he can build the tranny and make it bullet proof for 2000 and thats him pulling it and relacing it so it looks like I will be saving. I am going to buy a valve body and torque convertor next month and just start widdling down the cost and then take it to him and let him go from there. I guess I should have bought one with a stick...... but these slush boxes are great for talking on the phone and eating a burger...
Old 12-09-2009, 08:03 AM

If your going to pickup your own trans parts check vendors and see about a rebuild kit or check racerxautomotive.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.