battery light on dash - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-08-2009, 06:51 AM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
battery light on dash

So I just recently have had the battery light on my instrument panel flash very lightly from time to time. Usually when I am accelerating. I just replaced my batteries so it shouldn't be them. The light did flash the evening before my truck didn't start and I replaced the batteries.
I am planning on the Stancor upgrade to my GPR next week. Should I be concerned with the flashing of the battery light?

Thanks
Shawn
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-08-2009, 07:52 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

mine did that right before my alternator went out. I ran for a few days with the light on before I started losing aux power to ABS, PS, stereo, wipers, windows, headlights, SRS, dash lights, and so on. It was actually kind of funny till i realized my windows didn't work. I could turn the stereo off and regain my power steering, i could turn off my headlights and get back the ABS.

lol, i barely made it home. it was summertime and my blower motor was bad so I had the window open. It started raining, it was dark out and i was about a mile from home. By the time I got home, the rain was pouring down and the windows were wide open. I was not happy.

Anyway, I digress. Your alternator has two sets of diodes, Typically, only one set goes bad, which puts more load on the other set. It still functions, but with lower output. Eventually, the other set of diodes will go bad since they were not built to handle the added load.

I would get it tested and start pricing out where to find the cheapest alternator with a lifetime warranty. I picked up mine from Auto Zone through a contact I have there. Cost me $170 for a 110amp unit with lifetime warranty.
Old 12-08-2009, 07:53 AM
Powerstroke Junkie

Heck Yeah!!!! It is either the ALT or a bad ground. Check output voltage, should be 14.3+ volts. My guess the alt is bad and that's why your batteries crapped out. Going to happen again if you don't fix it. The only alt I will use is DB Electrical. Forget buying the Cheapest Alt, because all you are going to get is a cheap alt rebuilt with the cheapest foreign parts they can find. I was desperate one time and bought a AZ lifetime warranty piece of crap alt for my old F150, I got real good at installing them because I did it for more times that year. Buy quality and be done with it. But hey that's my opinion, it's your truck do what you feel is best for you.

NCH

Last edited by NCHornet; 12-08-2009 at 07:57 AM.
Old 12-08-2009, 08:35 AM

Thanks for the help and advice. I will order a new alternator asap. NC do you have a part number for the alternator you recommend?

Thanks

Shawn
Old 12-08-2009, 10:47 AM

I want to clarify that I don't recommend buying the cheapest Alt you can find. I completely agree with NCH. Always buy quality parts (and tools) and you will not be disappointed. I was broke at the time and could not afford a new alternator, much less a quality one. So I just looked for the cheapest part that would get me to work and back for a while. This is why a said "cheapest alternator with a lifetime warranty". Cause you will be using that lifetime warranty, lol! (but not so funny)
Old 12-08-2009, 11:21 AM
Powerstroke Junkie

No problem Rohan, but give me a quality part over a lifetime warranty any day, because as you know you will be replacing often. They use the cheapest parts they can find on their lifetime warranty parts and I just don't trust them.
Back to the OP, I would simply call DB and they will set you up. They also sell on Ebay, if they have a high output alt I might opt for it depending on your usage and how much more they want for it. Their Starters are also top notch and will really turn these high compression monsters over faster than any starter I have seen!! DB isn't a whole lot more than the AZ crap either!!

NCH
Old 12-08-2009, 01:23 PM

I went through 3 alternators till I finally took it to a shop and had a guy rebuild the alt. for me with stock parts and I haven't had a problem since.

Thus, I would have yours rebuilt with OEM parts if possible.
Old 12-13-2009, 06:32 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

NCHornet / others *** many thanks for info on previous Posts
-My F450 Yr 2001 2wd 7.3L dually
-Just yesterday idiot Battery light / Icon on dash board came on
-After shutting off HAD to get a jump to start so could get her home
-Just sent DB Electrical an E-mail
-DB Electrical Details to follow as FYI:
Toll Free 1-800-753-2242
E-mail = dbelectrical@yahoo.com
Web Link = DB Electrical Starter-Alternator
Mailing address:
DB Electrical
5359 Kingsport Hwy
Gray TN 37615

Great balance of day to all
Old 12-13-2009, 02:46 PM
Powerstroke Junkie

DB Electrical are good people you will be very happy, their starters are even better, they have a gear reduction starter that will really spin a 7.3 over!!!

NCH
Old 12-13-2009, 04:28 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

My battery light did this months ago. I was on the road to getting a new alternator, but then I decided to see if I could fix it instead. I ended up taking the back of the alternator apart and cleaning the rotors with electrical contact cleaner and a toothbrush. There was a carbon build up from the voltage regulator pickups on the rotors. I also cleaned the carbon pickups on the voltage regulator as well. Before I cleaned everything, my voltage would float from 13.9 - 12.2. When I hit 12.7 / 12.5 the battery light would begin to flicker. After the cleaning I had 14.3 - 14.5, and it has been solid ever since. I haven't had a single issue since. It maybe be something to look into if cash is a little tight.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.