HELP! - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-05-2009, 10:32 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
HELP!

Just filled up my 2000 Excursion (new to me) and am only getting 11 mpg. I can't believe how low it is. I also have owned a '97 F250 powerstroke since new with the same 7.3 and get 18 mpg like clockwork since day one. When I got the new truck I changed the oil. fuel filter and new K&N air filter - what could possibly be going on? Truck runs fine? Thanks for any ideas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-05-2009, 11:51 AM
Powerstroke Junkie

First of all fill out your signature so we can see what all has been done to the EX. How are you figuring the mileage? If going by the overhead display and you are running a chip it is always way off. The only way to compute mileage is by hand. So give me some more info and we can go from there. Mileage threads are one of the most common threads on this forum so the SEARCH feature will give you a lot of info as well.

NCH
Old 12-05-2009, 12:26 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Pretty much stock - with a 4" lift and 315 tires. No idea if it has any program in it, I would guess not. I calculated the mileage by hand at 11.05 and the overhead read 10.5 mpg. I have the tire pressure at 50 which is max on the side of the tire. Most of my driving is very short trips to work at about 5 miles each way. I have read most of the fuel economy threads and felt like I covered the most obvious issues that could be addressed. Just thought maybe I have missed something. Would a bad glow plug relay cause poor fuel mileage? It starts and runs fine in the cold, but I do park it inside.
Old 12-06-2009, 07:01 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Anyone have any suggestions?
Old 12-06-2009, 08:13 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

I have a 95 powerstroke and a 99 powerstroke. I always get around 20 mpg out of my 95 and always get around 15 mpg out of my 99. Both of them have the same mods (str8 pipes, edge EZs and, K&Ns). I just assumed the newer powerstrokes (99-03) got worse mileage than the 94-97 powerstrokes.

I have owned several other powerstrokes of other model years and the first generation powerstrokes always seemed to get better mileage. I figured it to be the smaller injectors and smaller power outputs in the first gen's.

After some time I have found some interesting things about the powerstroke and fuel economy.

Some of the early first gen trucks have the 203 degree thermostat and that helps them get better drivability and mileage. The newer powerstrokes have been outfitted with the 195 degree thermostat and that makes them run cooler. I have heard that makes them run slightly too cool. My 95 has the 203 degree thermostat and my 99 has the 195. That could be why my 99 gets worse mileage.....or at least one of the reasons. I am going to put a 203 deg stat in my 99 and see if I can get any better numbers and will post the results!!!

When I first bought my 99 it had 305 size tires on it and I would get around 11 mpg. It also had a cat and muffler. I put stock size tires and deleted the cat and muffler and got the mpg up to 15 just by doing that.

I know this is long winded but.....
My mpg seems to get worse toward the last thousand miles on my 5000 mile oil change interval. I will get 12-14 mpg on the last thousand miles or so and then I change the oil and filter and will get back up to 15-17 mpg range.

I cant say this for sure but, I wouldn't try anything else until you have changed your oil, oil filter, and fuel filter. If you want to delete your cat converter and/or muffler or at least think about a exhaust upgrade to a high flow cat/muffler, I would do that too. When I cut my cat conv off and looked through it....I couldnt believe how big of a restriction it was. Also, changing to a stock or closer to stock tire size would help in mpg as well. Short trips to work and in and around town will kill the mpg numbers as well.

Also, you said you have a lot of 5 mile trips to work and back. In five miles the motor doesnt spend very much time in optimum operating temperature which is where it is most efficient. That could be a factor as well.
Old 12-06-2009, 08:26 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

I just saw that you have a 4" lift on your truck and that could be hurting your fuel mileage as well.

I could give better advise if I knew what other mods were done to your truck but, I would say that if you take a stock truck which is only good for around 17 overall mpg, 19 mpg on the highway, and 15 mpg on short trips and in town.....and then add a lift kit, big tires and do most of your driving on short trips, 11 mpg might be about right.

The good news is.....

There are PLENTY of things both cheap and expensive that can get you A LOT better fuel mileage though.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.