What does it take to make a cummins transmission strong? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-04-2009, 05:38 AM
Banned

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
What does it take to make a cummins transmission strong?

No dodge jokes please, just curious what is needed to make a cummins transmission from the '99 model year vp44 24valve strong enough to not pop
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-04-2009, 06:08 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Jokes aside, the single most reason I am now a ford man is the one thing I could not get over with the dodges.....the transmission. I have had the tf 727 in the old body style and the getrag both take a dump on me. I then went to a 24 valve 02 that had a six speed manual trans because I was sick of the transmissions going out and the clutch went out at 32000 miles. My 94 twelve valve five speed had the fifth gear go out after just a couple of miles. On top of all that I have several friends that have had nothing but trouble with their dodge transmissions of all years standard and automatic.

Talking to several mechanics to include dodge certified techs and guys that have put several thousand dollars in their transmissions only to have them go belly up things were not looking good. But boy did I love that cummins power.....

Then one day I had had enough and started looking at my options.....

I can buy a ford diesel for a smaller up front cost.
...saving money.
I can use a ford diesel at factory power levels and it not be a turd.
...saving money...have you ever towed with a stock 24v cummins....awful.
I can trust the factory ford transmission at the stock power levels.
...saving money.
I can maintain and repair my ford diesel (7.3 DI) easily.
...saving money.
I can use my truck and not replace the entire front end every other year.
...saving money.

Finally, It seems to me when a person buys a cummins especially a 98-02, there is a laundry list of mods that basically HAVE to be done in order to make the truck even usable.....ie. upgrade LP fuel pump, exhaust, intake, fuel pressure gauge (so that the precious VP44 doesnt crap itself from lack of pressure), almost certain front end maintenance, screw back together the front bumper plastic, the endless list of transmission upgrades, and of course some sort of power chip or box to make the powerband at least usable.$$$$$

...or you can buy a ford diesel, change the oil, change the belt tensioner, and DRIVE IT.

but, to answer your question on how to keep the dodge automatic from popping....the number one answer that no one is going to tell you is keep the power levels in the mighty cummins stock. You can save money and that is no dodge joke.
Old 12-04-2009, 06:34 AM
Banned

I appreciate your insider info big time. I didn't know the 5/6spds were pieces of **** too. That kind of blows, I found a nice 4x4 lifted/tires cummins 24v that I like and am considering. Funny enough, it has exactly all the mods/work done to it above that you mentioned, including a air dog 150. Thats funny. But it also has some twin disk billet torque convertor or something or other he mentioned

Last edited by 85_305; 12-04-2009 at 06:45 AM.
Old 12-04-2009, 07:48 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

I do have experience in this but this is just my opinion. I would stay away from this truck and hold out for a 01 or 02 with a NV5600 six speed manual and put a good clutch in it. That combination will by far be the best way to go trans and motor wise. The 99 dodge cummins specifically also had problems with the blocks cracking.....I believe they have become to be known as the "E blocks". Stay away from a 99 cummins in my opinion. Between the reputation of the trans, block, and early VP44 you could end up buying the truck again in repairs!!!!!!!

If you are stone stuck on getting a cummins....which is alright with me, they are well engineered motors.....maybe the best overall motor ever put in a production pickup truck. I would, in my own opinion, advise you to be picky with which one you buy.

This is just my opinion but..... here is a list of the dodge cummins that I would recommend buying....after careful shopping around you will find these models to be more expensive....but that is because they are worth it. I would recommend buying the....

94-97 with NV4500 five speed standard
....weak points...fifth gear coming apart, low stock power output, fuel shutoff solenoid, restrictive stock air box and exhaust, front end parts are weak, extended cab has only two doors.
....strong points....MOTOR WILL RUN FOREVER, strong resale value, P7100 injection pump

02 with NV5600 six speed standard
....weak points...low pressure fuel pump, front end parts are weak.
....strong points...usable stock power, have seen many of these trucks with 500,000 plus miles, extended cab has four doors, four wheel disk brakes, foldable heated tow mirrors, good fuel mileage, very nice tow vehicle for heavy loads.

05-06 with G56 six speed standard
....weak points...high initial cost, hard to find
....strong points...usable stock power levels, have heard of many of these with 400,000 plus miles, stronger front end parts than 94-02 models.

Now for some Dodge models (based on reliability, power and, relsale) I would have no further interest in buying, ever....

99 with the E block
98-02 24 valve with four speed automatic
03 with 5 speed standard
89-91 all models
91-93 with automatic
07-10 with 6.7L all models (I am still not sure about this one but, so far I am not impressed.)

Remember that this is just my opinion but, I believe right now at this moment in time the best bang for your buck in the used diesel truck market is the 99-00 Ford F-250,350.

I hope this helps.
Old 12-04-2009, 08:32 AM
Banned

I love my F250 and I LOVE Ford dont get it confused. But this is just a truck that popped up and for a good price.. plus it's got the sky jacker lift kit and tires, which is a huge plus for me. Leather interior, 5k miles on trans and new front end Moog suspension, etc. Plus it's got the air dog and a few other items so it SEEMS like a decent truck. The paint just isn't the shiniest.
It's not that I'm dead set on a cummins (as I really cannot stand dodge), its just what came up and came to mind for the money. Plus I cant stand owning the same exact vehicle twice lol. Maybe if I find a decent dually 350 or something I'd pick it up, i really dont know yet.

Thanks for the input though, I'm going to keep this all in mind
Old 12-04-2009, 08:44 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

ok now since the cummins bashing is done, lets actually answer your post.... everyone say go with the manual transmission which is fine, you can do a southbend and pretty much be done... but the autos will work better if you are looking for high power, but yes they are weak from the factory... not as bad as the ALLY but still weak... there are a few companies you can go with, ATS being my favorite, suncoast is also a good one.... but there are companies making some killer dodge trannies for them like NADM and Goerend... If you decide to go with the dodge and you want the built trans, let me know and I can get you some good pricing...
Old 12-04-2009, 09:09 AM
Banned

well I messed up.. I was actually looking at a really nice '99 5spd, and was only considering that auto '99 thinking it was an extended cab, but it's not an extended cab, so it would be silly to get that one. I'm thinking I'm going to stick w/ the 5spd '99. Those are decent transmissions as long as you stick a healthy southbend in there then?

Edit: apparently that auto '99 has valve body work done aside from the dual disk billet converter

Last edited by 85_305; 12-04-2009 at 09:13 AM.
Old 12-04-2009, 09:19 AM

well let me know if you need the clutch and I can get you a deal on it...
Old 12-04-2009, 09:44 AM
Banned

Sounds good to me! I'll let you know.

out of curiosity, what kind of price range are we talking here?
Old 12-04-2009, 10:04 AM

why the hell would you ask this on a ford forum?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.