17Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 48 Old 05-08-2017, 05:07 AM Thread Starter
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Question Need help finding a new truck, please

I just totaled my 2000 f250 7.3. I am devastated. I loved my truck. Now I have to replace it and realize how lucky I was when I purchased it. I know nothing of the things I've read about in this blog. I don't know what a tuner is, or anything else. I just know my truck pulled my 4 horse trailer safely and dependably.

I would appreciate any advice on what to look for in finding another 7.3. I would also love to be directed where I could find one near Atlanta, GA. I'm running into some difficulty finding one with the specs I already know I want and that is without knowing anything about tuners and such.

Any and all advice is much appreciated!

Rita
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 48 Old 05-08-2017, 12:45 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 333 Post(s)
Garage
Hi Rita - to the ORG.

Sorry to hear about your truck!

A couple of links for you.
What to look for when buying a USED 99-03 PSD

'99-'03 7.3L forum
Ford Powerstroke 99-03 7.3L Forums - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

As far as finding a truck in your area, try websites like Craigslist.com or Cars.com. Also check your local dealerships or independent auto lots. See if any specialize in trucks. Good luck in you search.

Here's a link to the Georgia member area: Georgia Members - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum - You may find members around you who may have some pointers.
Jeremy@TDA and Beerbait like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Owner | Operator: Darryl
My Truck Garage:

Tow Toy Garage :

United States Navy - IC2 - '76-'80
post #3 of 48 Old 05-09-2017, 01:45 PM Thread Starter
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Thank u so much! i have already done some of your suggestions and will follow up on the others

post #4 of 48 Old 05-09-2017, 01:59 PM
U.S. Army 68 - 71

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Garage
Don't be afraid to go outside of Georgia to find and buy another good truck. There are still many 7.3's out there.

The Good Old Days

1999 F 350 work trucks 7.3
5 speed 2 wd dually
post #5 of 48 Old 05-09-2017, 02:29 PM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Don't be afraid to travel. I lucked out and found a barn baby 2 hours away. Was willing to fly to TX to get a decent truck. TX trucks don't get the rust issues we have up here in MN and or the hard cold starts. Good luck
post #6 of 48 Old 05-10-2017, 08:01 AM Thread Starter
Powerstroke.org Rookie

thank you so much. very good suggestion.
post #7 of 48 Old 05-10-2017, 08:03 AM Thread Starter
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I'm so glad you both responded this way. My husband doesn't believe in travelling to buy something so I will be able to show him this. Anyone else with good/bad experiences in travelling for the truck they wanted would be greatly appreciated!!
post #8 of 48 Old 05-10-2017, 09:09 AM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
I was in south TX for a couple months and was told to check out Garcias Truck sales in Mission. They had a lot of nice clean pickups. Jr does a lot of traveling to get trucks. Now I need to find a paint shop in the area to touch up the clear coat someone buffed off Harlingen is #1 the US center for insurance repairs of vehicles. Cheap labor.
post #9 of 48 Old 05-10-2017, 09:30 AM Thread Starter
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Why do I keep hearing about '99-'03 7.3l

Hey guys,

I just discovered Ford made the 7.3l engine bf '99. Is there a reason that I keep hearing 99-03? was the engine upgraded during that time. I am looking to purchase 7.3l f250 4wd and found a 97 that fits the bill, but I am concerned about the year. Any comments or advice, please?
post #10 of 48 Old 05-10-2017, 09:32 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Quoted: 152 Post(s)
a la wiki...

The 1995 to 1996/97 DI Power stroke had "single shot" HEUI (hydraulically actuated electronic unit injection) fuel injectors and ran a high pressure oil pump (HPOP) to create the necessary oil pressure to fire the fuel injectors. This generation of Powerstroke utilized a HPOP with a 15 swash plate angle. 1995-1997 trucks used a cam driven fuel pump, whereas the 1999-2003 trucks used a frame rail mounted electric fuel pump. The California trucks in 1996 and 1997 had split shot fuel injectors; other trucks didn't get split shot injectors until 1999. Single shot injectors only inject one charge of fuel per cycle, whereas the split shot injector releases a preliminary light load before the main charge to initiate combustion in a more damped manner. This controlled injection helps reduce the sharp combustion 'knock'.
It utilizes a single turbocharger with a turbine housing size of 1.15 A/R. In 1999, an air-to-air intercooler was added to cool the charged air from the turbo for increased air density. With the new cooler, denser air would increase the horsepower potential of the engine, while also reducing exhaust gas temperatures (EGT). Eventually, the turbine housing was changed to a .84 A/R housing and a wastegate was added. With larger injectors, the HPOP output was increased by utilizing a 17 swash plate angle to meet the requirements of the new, higher flowing injectors.

02 joke
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to elephantrider For This Useful Post:
horsnaround (05-10-2017)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode