5W-40, WOW! - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-02-2009, 12:41 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
5W-40, WOW!

I have spent the last few days getting my '01 7.3 (182k) ready for a harsh North Dakota winter. Although replacing a completely dead GPR gave me perhaps the most noticeable difference, 5W-40 motor oil is a close second!

I finally got to fire her up nice and cold (not plugged in) this morning after sitting for days. The temp was about +14 F and she didn't even chug or bounce RPMs once! It was almost like it was 80 outside. I can't wait to get new batteries and better glow plugs so I can laugh at -30!

The oil I used was a Cenex synthetic since I couldn't find the shell. Cenex pretty much controls everything petroleum up here (downstream anyhow). The oil cost me $16/gal and is worth twice that IMO.

The downside to 5W-40 though is that although it offers full SAE40 protection when warm, it will break down sooner than 15W-40 because of all the added supplements. I would imagine that it should be good for at least 5000 miles though and that is my typical interval anyway due to debris and what not.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-02-2009, 12:49 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

I think i am going to try it this winter to ! Was yours smoking blueish on start up... did it fix that ?
Old 12-02-2009, 12:59 PM

the blue smoke at start up in cold weather is due to the block being so cold the rings cant seal good but after it warms up the smoke should go away.
Old 12-02-2009, 01:02 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I did notice less white smoke (unburnt fuel), but I'm really not that good at determining smoke color unless its black.

I would highly recommend it if you live anywhere remotely cold. Just make sure that it is formulated for diesel engines. There are a couple 5w-40 blends out there that are really just for worn-down gas engines. The stuff I got had an 18 wheeler on the bottle and was rated CJ4, CI4, CH4, CG4, CF4, etc. so it should be OK.
Old 12-02-2009, 01:08 PM
Serving Our Country!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyler325 View Post
I can't wait to get new batteries and better glow plugs so I can laugh at -30!

Never ever laugh at -30!
Old 12-02-2009, 01:45 PM
Dieselis' Maximus

-30 = plugging in the truck for me.
Old 12-02-2009, 03:00 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I will be plugging it in even at +15 to +20, but it would be nice to know that if worst came to worst (I go out drinking and don't always make it home with my truck), I can still get the thing started in rough weather.

My 08 Cummins (company truck) has started at -17 cold with 15-40. My previous 03 silverado (4.8 gas) started at -21 once, but it was not a pretty sight (that truck didn't have a block heater since I didn't live in ND at the time).
Old 12-03-2009, 04:33 PM

Good to hear about the 5W-40. I live in South Lake Tahoe and often times we loose power during the night with heavy snow storms (plus Sierra Pacific Power sucks *** because they are out of Reno) and have to start my truck up without the block heater in single digits. I've been running 15w-40 for a while and was wondering how the cost to benefit ratio was to buy the Rotella 5w-40. Sounds like I'm going to give it a try.
Old 12-03-2009, 07:12 PM

I am even thinking about running it yearlong ...
Old 12-11-2009, 02:05 AM

synthetic oils are always better than non. i have been in the auto fluids industry for years and in the long run synthetic kicks butt. im in northern illinois and i run Mobil 1 5/40 syn formulated for diesels. Mobil makes that weight for both unleaded and diesel. GREAT STUFF
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.