Upgrade XL or save and wait for XLT? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-01-2009, 02:19 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Upgrade XL or save and wait for XLT?

Looking to buy a 99-03 F250 PSD. Short on cash though (who isn't?).

Some of the big used lots get white fleet XL worktrucks. They're pretty damn cheap in comparison.

In my area it appears I can get:

1999 F250 XL 7.3L with about 220,000k for around $5-6000
or
1999 F250 XLT with bells and whistles, same milage, for around $7500-9000.

Only thing that really bugs me about the XL is not having power windows and locks. I know there are kits out there, but never installed myself.
If I'm happy with having an XL work truck aside from the above, it it worth it to put in power window and door lock conversions? Is buying an ex-fleet XL work truck worse than buying the infamous ex-rental?

Should I just wait till I have the dough to do things right the first time??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-01-2009, 03:53 PM
Serving Our Country!

just wait and get truck you want
Old 12-01-2009, 06:09 PM

I'd have to agree. Even if you install pwr windows and locks I doubt the quality would be the same as OEM. Also, even though you say those are the only things you are worried about, down the road it will bug you that everyone else has a nicer truck than you. I'd be worried about someone ex work truck. I work at the dealer and see how SOME of those trucks are abused and neglected. Bottom line, there's a reason they are so much cheaper.
Old 12-01-2009, 06:25 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

mines an xl but its also a reg cab the only time it bugs me is when i have to try and lean over to put the window up if someone call cause i cant hear with the window down. other than that i don mind
Old 12-01-2009, 07:26 PM
Banned

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
I love my XLT. Minus the sticky door locks. Worth it IMO.
Old 12-01-2009, 09:38 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I think a work truck would be hit or miss depending on the company that owned the truck and, of course, who drove it most. Many fleets now-a-days have full time satellite driving monitors and superb maintenance programs.

Basically, when a vehicle is removed from a fleet, it is because it's maintenance and down-time exceeds the cost of a replacement vehicle. If a company's downtime for a truck is extremely expensive (Halliburton, Schlumberger, etc.), a truck may be sold much earlier with no signs of trouble. Large companies also typically use accounting formulas to decide when to remove vehicles rather than a mechanic's opinion. If a truck is removed from a small-to-mid-sized fleet that works in an industry where it can cheaply absorb some down-time (like a cable installer), then you can bet that they are replacing the truck because it is causing them major problems and is projected to do this in the future.

I know you can't always find a vehicle's history, but these are just some things to think about.
Old 12-01-2009, 09:41 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

mines an XL, did the locks and windows. wasnt hard at all. put an aftermarket remote start alarm w keyless. no big deal. but i do wish i had a lariat!!
Old 12-03-2009, 05:19 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Thanks

Thanks for all the replies.

Tyler325, you brought up some good points that I had never thought of. Thanks for the angles on that one.

We'll see what happens. I think most of you are right... get what you really want (within reason) and you won't be disappointed. Anyways the $2k extra to get the XLT is definietly worth it... but only if you have $2k.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.