Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

How to ruin a Sunday oil change

1K views 5 replies 6 participants last post by  NoRalPh 
#1 · (Edited)
The following is a journey I took through a What turned out to be "3 week oil change" on my 01' 7.3.

Nice Sunday morning had went to wal mart and gotten about 8 gallons of oil and 2 filters for just about $118 on sale! Life is good!

Get home drain my oil into the pan. Punch a hole into my filter let that drain. All is well. Throw my self tightening claw thingy onto the bottom of the filter and turn and turn. turn some more. Now I'm stuck?! Get a breaker bar and really crank that sob and.... snapppp. My little three legged claw thingy is busted and I'm confused. My oil filter won't come off?! I put it on hand tight?! How could this be?!

On to the google for answers. A ha! Screw driver trick. Throw a larger screw driver in there and with all my damn might I pull and pull and nothing. Continue with this until my filter looks like this now

What the ****?! How did I get here. Now it's dark and I throw in the towel. Trucks dead in the driveway. Next weekend. I buy strap wrenches oil filter wrenches. Even the vicegrip harbor freight job. Nothing will turn this. Now. The filter is just the top. The Can is destroyed and I'm ready to remove the whole oil cooler so I can get this off on the bench. Laying Under the truck on a new creeper I got just for this damn job alone. I do one more google search. Watching as this guy spins his filter off so effortlessly! How?! I replay. Again again. Then. I see. The past 2 weeks I've been tightening this thing....... ****. So the fun begins. I'll save you the read but everything above again tried backwards.

What worked. A propane torch and a custom tool I made below.

Yea that's what the top of the filter of. 7.3 looks like. The sheer joy when that thing spun CLOCKWISE was euphoric. My new filter is littered with "spin clockwise idiot" in sharpie. Thought you would all get a kick outta this.... lesson learned [emoji22]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

See less See more
#2 ·
Damn. Well, good thing you got it off

#3 ·
"Righty-Tighty" "Lefty-Loosie"

I chuckled. We've all done dumb things. What is cool about posting experiences like yours is that some peep in the future that is having "trouble" getting his filter off may remember having read this and think "hey remember that dummy that was tightening his filter instead of loosening it? Oh $hit, that's me!"

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.