Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

Help with installing 6.0 cooler

1K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  97powerstroker 
#1 ·
Alright so I purchased the 6.0 cooler and before I start this project I need to clarify a couple things. I have the radiator which the transmissions lines hook up to already and upon inspecting the install it appears one of the lines from the stock trans cooler hook up to the radiator. All of the installation instructions I have read do not discuss this issue, or maybe they did and I didn't comprehend it correctly.
The instructions mention two 3/8 lines that splice into the 1/2 line from the new cooler but what am I supposed to do with the line going to the bottom of the radiator?

#2 ·
i don't have a 7.3 but the jist of it is you want the 6.0 oil cooler to be in line with the cooler fluid path

if you have a Rad-cooler you want to retain it also so you just need to have the 3/8 line interrupted and the 1/2 cooler tied in to each end to make a complete circuit

i bet there are some full DIY articles online

#4 ·
That link you had is the one I am referencing from and its a great write-up, but I think you helped me get the fuzzies out of my brain. If i follow the drivers-side line that goes to the radiator cooler I see now where I need to splice in, which is before it hard-lines going into the radiator. Thanks for your help ZMANN. Much appreciated.

Reactions: ZMANN
#7 ·
I just recently install mine and you install it directly in place of the 7.3 cooler. I pulled my stock cooler out and install my 6.0 cooler with the 1/2 lines attached and routed them by the frame back for hook up. The line that comes out of the lower radiator cooler is the first line to tap into it. So fluid will flow through lower radiator and then through the 6.0 cooler. Once it flows through that then you hook up the other 6.0 cooler line the the trans return hard line. Hopefully that makes sense. If you lower radiator isn't plugged you don't want to bypass it, its there for low speed operation(low speeds around town, traffic jams, plowing , construction etc..) where airflow is low. It seems to me you said you were gonna hook up before it and bypass it. I wouldn't if it is in working order.

#5 ·
I've never inspected a 7.3 with the radiator cooler. You'll probably have to lay out your hose routing so it is possible to make connections with proper radius and attention to chafe, etc. BUT if I had a choice and could do it cleanly, I would route the hardline coming from the forward position on the transmission to the 6.0 cooler, then to the radiator cooler, then the radiator cooler to the hard line to the rear position on the transmission.

My thinking is that the transmission heat would first go to the 6.0 cooler and be dissipated in the air flow rather than to radiator coolant. This routing would keep some heat out of the coolant under extreme conditions. It will also help keep the transmission temperature more stable in low ambient conditions.

Again, it kind of depends on what your routing situation is. Making it clean, chafe-free, and leak-free are the priorities.

#6 ·
I didn't hook up the radiator cooler. I just left it open and went in and out the 6.0 cooler

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.