Towing Capacity... Is this too much trailer for my truck? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
 6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 27 Old 04-19-2017, 07:52 AM Thread Starter
SJB
Compression Ignition Addict

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Towing Capacity... Is this too much trailer for my truck?

I have a 2002 F250 Crew Cab 4x4 w/ the 7.3 all stock except leveling kit, F350 blocks and 34" tires. I'm looking to possibly purchase a 5th wheel toyhauler. It is around 36 ft. in length and I guess around 10,300 lbs dry weight and around 17,000 GVWR when loaded (toys, etc). I started to google what my truck's towing capacity is, and I read something that stated a 12,500 lb towing capacity. Is that correct? Once I read this I told the seller that I was concerned the trailer was too much for my truck, and he said that I should be fine. He said he tows it with his 2006 F250 w/ the 6.0 liter (which I know has more power than mine).

Anyway, is this too much trailer for my truck? Or should I have no problems with it? I'm a little worried about having the power to pull it up grades because my truck has never really impressed me with my previous trailers that weighed less.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Towing Capacity.JPG
Views:	62
Size:	33.0 KB
ID:	616258  

2002 F250 XLT CC 4x4
- Isspro EV gauges (Pyro, Trans temp, Boost)
- Walker BTM Muffler
- 6.0 Liter Transmission Cooler
- '08 Kool-Vue tow mirrors
- Tuff Country 2.5" leveling kit 22962KN
- Factory F350 blocks in the rear
- Readylift 67-2094UB u-bolt kit for the rear
- Moto Metal 970 18x10's w/ -24 offset
- Cooper Discoverer S/T Maxx 295/70-18's
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 Old 04-19-2017, 08:01 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Man don't sweat it. I read this type of posts all the time. I'm no expert but I've seen this done all the time - hell the one working at my house right now driving 20 pilings into the soft Florida sand is driving a srw dodge 5.9 and pulling a 30' gn with a bobcat and them 20 poles. Uhm I have a 26' gn and I pull some chit with my Tundra. The 7.3 is being worked on right now lol. Again, I'm no expert but all this chitnive seen and what I've done could better be suited behind an M2 Freightliner.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #3 of 27 Old 04-19-2017, 08:46 AM
DMc
Premium Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 193 Post(s)
Your truck is rated at 12,500 for towing a conventional trailer and 12,800 for a fifth wheel so not much difference there. We've all seen overloaded rigs out on the highway and some of us have pulled them ourselves. My biggest concern is liability. Odds are, you won't be involved in an accident and everyone will live happily ever after. But god forbid you get into a crash and someone gets killed. Your insurance company investigates and finds the truck was overloaded and decides not to honor your liability insurance. You get sued and lose everything you've worked so hard for.

Disclaimer - My family and friends always tell me I worry too much so take that into account when you read this!
john galt likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2004 F250 4X4 CC SB

post #4 of 27 Old 04-19-2017, 09:01 AM
Serving Our Country!

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 521 Post(s)
Garage
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
check your local laws too. States seem to vary ALOT more lately with towing. Even with a fifth wheel Id like air bags in the rear at the VERY MINIMUM. Also you might want to consider doing the 6.0l transmission cooler or the true cool kit from diesel site. It will drop your trans temp 20+ degrees easy! mine was almost 30 empty/towing 8500lb trailer/cargo.

currently-1999 F250 SBRB 4X4 7.3, 6.0 trans cooler, 08 mirrors, AIS Intake, Hydra, Level kit, 33s.

-2004 F350 CCLB 4x4: Sinister Race solutions kit, CAT ELC Edge CS, SCT SF3, PHP Ficm programmer, Procomp, Rough country, and Nitto goodies.
-2004 excursion, banks exhaust, 03 turbo, aem intake. 4in lift, 35in kumhos
-2006 f350 king ranch, aem intake, 10 in fabtech, 40in tires, sct tunes.

Interested in learning something new?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Justin,
2F071 USAF 2008-2014
The Following User Says Thank You to JustinOOO9 For This Useful Post:
JeffPowell (04-20-2017)
post #5 of 27 Old 04-19-2017, 09:24 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 154 Post(s)
I have a 36 Ft 5th wheel that I pull with my truck. I pulled it when the truck was stock. I would say do not pull it without upgrading the trans cooler. I pulled over multiple times on grades to let the trans cool. The truck pulled it fine. You aren't gonna race anyone. I did a long steep pull on some highway in California and I could only do 45 but it made it up. Mine is 10,300 dry. It is not a toy hauler though so loaded the trailer Is probably under the 12,500

2002 F350 7.3 4x4 SRW CCLB. GTP38R w/WW2 D-66, PIS 175/80 injectors, Sam Wyse Stage 2 Trans, 6.0 cooler, Banks Intercooler, 4" Turbo back Exhaust, PHP tuned TS 6 position chip, CNC 4 Line feed, HPOP and HPX Lines. International bellowed up pipes. AFE Stage 2 Intake w/ Dry filter. Banks exhaust brake and smart lock. Hutch/Harpoon mod, 910 Valve springs, Billet intake plenums. Firestone airbags. Trailready full guard front bumper. PIAA Driving and Fog lights. Micky Thompson Wheels.

post #6 of 27 Old 04-19-2017, 10:19 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
You can check the inside sticker on the drivers door or back door it will give you the GVW for the truck. If you are over this you can be ticketed. Also you will want to make sure you are insured for the proper GVW or as said you could be liable in an accident

Sent from my LG-H831 using Tapatalk
post #7 of 27 Old 04-19-2017, 11:33 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by SJB View Post
I have a 2002 F250 Crew Cab 4x4 w/ the 7.3 all stock except leveling kit, F350 blocks and 34" tires. I'm looking to possibly purchase a 5th wheel toyhauler. It is around 36 ft. in length and I guess around 10,300 lbs dry weight and around 17,000 GVWR when loaded (toys, etc). I started to google what my truck's towing capacity is, and I read something that stated a 12,500 lb towing capacity. Is that correct? Once I read this I told the seller that I was concerned the trailer was too much for my truck, and he said that I should be fine. He said he tows it with his 2006 F250 w/ the 6.0 liter (which I know has more power than mine).

Anyway, is this too much trailer for my truck? Or should I have no problems with it? I'm a little worried about having the power to pull it up grades because my truck has never really impressed me with my previous trailers that weighed less.
Your truck is going to be illegal, but it'll get it done. Make sure that there's nothing wrong with the brakes on that trailer. At 17k lbs, your life is dependent on them in an emergency.

Your truck is the heaviest variant of our truck, and it should weigh 600-800 more than mine: a 2000 F250 XL 7.3 SC SB, 2WD, 6-Spd, with a tool box, a 5th wheel, and a full tank of diesel weighed 6,660 lbs w/o driver (curb weight).

I'm guessing you'd scale at least 7,200 lbs. A 5th wheel will put around 20% on its tongue, so around 3400 lbs at full weight. That puts your truck at 10,600 lbs on 4 tires, when it's GVWR is only 8,800 lbs. That said, an identical F350 has a GVWR of 9,900 lbs, and you're only a little above that.

Your total gross combine weight will be 17k + 7,200, or 24,200 lbs. That's a lot of weight, brother! Like I said, it'll pull it. You better just make sure it can stop, too. Good luck.

Chris
djmaguire likes this.
post #8 of 27 Old 04-19-2017, 11:45 AM
Serving Our Country!

Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by markowinnipeg@yahoo.com View Post
You can check the inside sticker on the drivers door or back door it will give you the GVW for the truck. If you are over this you can be ticketed. Also you will want to make sure you are Registered for the proper GVW or as said you could be liable in an accident

Sent from my LG-H831 using Tapatalk
false.
the gvw 8800lbs is the Manufactures Suggested weight rating.
it carries no legal bearing, i corrected your statement.

as for to much
17k + 8K is 25k over GCWR by 5k. BUT even a dually is only 20k

17k pin weight is 3400 (20%)
which will put you over the axle rating/tire ratings even for the highest rating on the 10.5 in a f350 SRW. i have had 2100 on my ball and i was right at the GAWR
djmaguire likes this.

2002 F250 7.3/JW Tow master 4r100 212k miles
Mods:explorer heater valve, WR GP relay, RiffRAff boots, lariat overhead console, Hydra chip, 6637 mod, 6.0 cooler, AIH delete and isspro2 trans, egt, and boost gauges. 92 gallon aux tank with a total capacity of 130gallons, 1800 mile range
, 4" MBRP straight Piped. 2" Warrior shackles, Redhead steering box

post #9 of 27 Old 04-19-2017, 11:55 AM
The Silent Service

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
The weights and limitations alone should be enough to provide your answer. Its too much trailer for an F250 with a 7.3L under the hood.

The ratings hold a lot to the decision, but what concerns me more is the statement the truck hasn't impressed you with trailers that weighed less. If you aren't comfortable with this set up, don't get that trailer.

SRW trucks weren't rated for 24,200# until the 6.4L came out, even the 6.0L F350 Dually's (TowBoss excluded) were kept to 23,500#. Without the larger brakes of the '05 and up trucks, I strongly advise against this configuration.

Another note, the guy telling you you'll be fine overweight, isn't the guy that is going to be found liable should something happen - he's just trying to sell the trailer.
ToyMan and djmaguire like this.

2007 F-350 XLT 6.0L PSD Dually 'Jezebel'
TorqShift 4x4 CC/LB 4.30LS - Tow Boss Package

post #10 of 27 Old 04-19-2017, 12:03 PM
The Silent Service

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by alaskan155 View Post
false.
the gvw 8800lbs is the Manufactures Suggested weight rating.
it carries no legal bearing, i corrected your statement.
You are incorrect here. Where following it may not have a specific stature on your local laws, the GVWR and GCWR has legal bearing when it comes to criminal and civil liablity when something happens. DOT registered commercial vehicles for commerce must follow these limits along with others to avoid issues.

2007 F-350 XLT 6.0L PSD Dually 'Jezebel'
TorqShift 4x4 CC/LB 4.30LS - Tow Boss Package

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode