Considering first PSD - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-28-2009, 08:34 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Considering first PSD

Hey all~

First, thanks for a effing great site! I use forums as a DIY homeowner/handyman and VW enthusiast and I have to say this site is really informative and the members are very responsive and knowledgeable.

I'm would like to pick up my first PSD and have determined the 7.3 is really the best option and platform for me. I would like my next truck to last a very very long time. I currently have a 90 Nissan reg cab 4x4 and while this has been a great truck I've just out grown it. Based on the research I've done seems fuel efficiency will be about the same, ironically enough. I've been wrenching since a teenager and this would be my first foray into the auto diesel/turbo realm (some experience with DD marine turbo diesels) and I'm excited about owning one.

Ideally, I wanted to find a 7.3 extended cab 4x2 with a manual tranny. I've found this exact model except with an auto and low miles (91,972). I saw the auto to manual forum- perfect. It's at a private dealership and I plan getting them to spring for a Ford dealer look over.

Aside from the normal checkpoint items and pulling codes any other items I should have them check while there? I surfed this forum and the amount of info is dizzying. What I've learned so far--- I plan on checking the turbo impeller for wear, using test strips to check for possible cavitation, type of air filter in place, and a close look at the trans. Do they do falling ball (fuel oil to oil ratio) test on these types of trucks?

Initially, this truck will not see daily driving as I don't plan on using it as grocery getter knowing this will actually tear it up faster, but as my business builds it will see more daily driving and with a trailer.

Thanks in advance
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-28-2009, 08:39 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 1 reviews

You sound like your well on your way, I have nothing to add, but good luck and good choice on truck!

I'm sure the more knowledgeable will chime in shortly!

-Cory
Old 11-28-2009, 09:04 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Check the oil pan for any signs of rust. Very well known problem with these trucks. Especially if you live in an area were they salt the roads when it snows.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.