vss ? my speedo not working abs on and o/d off swicth flashing and shifting ruff - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-27-2009, 09:00 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
vss ? my speedo not working abs on and o/d off swicth flashing and shifting ruff

o.k. you know the symtoms i'm having. was told to change the vss. looked up the vss in the repair manuel. said it was on top of the rear diff. went to parts store got vss. was nothing like i need. went back with the part from my truck. they said that was the abs sensor and that the vss is on the trans. so i came back home looked up abs sensor, and sure enough there was a picture with the removal info. but i changed the diff sensor. still doing the same bad stuff. so i go back and get the vss thats for the trans. took off what looked like the same sensor on trans but after taking it off it looks nothing like what i pull off the trans and i can't find nothing in the repair book about this sensor. does anyone know whats going on? i'm ready to sell this piece and get a turbo kit for my 6.9 f250 and be done with anything computer controled ever agin.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-27-2009, 09:14 AM

Send a message via AIM to ABoyAndHisToys
vss is on the rear.
Old 11-27-2009, 09:29 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Fuse 43? spedo, fuel pedal, o/d switch, etc...

My 02 350 7.3 had a similar prob.
Fuse was popping. #43 i think. It controlled the spedo/tach instrument cluster, o/d switch, fuel pedal, and somethin else. It was a wire in steering column. Worn insulation on top[ of gear shift. kept shorting out fuse. If different wires are grounding out for you, it may effect shifting and other crud. 3 screws, under steering wheel and the lock cylinder out. dark grey wire wrap with 4-5 wires inside. running above the gearshift housing/enclosure. 1 piece of tape solved all my weeks of grief and 79 blown fuses on the floor.
It'll get better. always does.
Good luck
Old 11-27-2009, 10:16 AM

found the fuse for the pcm abs and speed control. #15 on my truck. not blown. i have replaced the sensor on the diff took the ground off for the this system and checked fuse. still does this. i don't know if this helps but the speedo will go up to like 20mph then drop down, catch go up a little, drop then catch ext. and what is the sensor behide the bellhouseing that is connected to the shifter? the parts store is tring to tell me the vss is on the trans and that sensor on the diff is abs. my repair manuel sayes both are on the diff but they only show a picture of the abs sensor and what is pictured is the sensor right on top of the middle of the diff under the sway bar. if this truck was not worth so much it would be full of ak holes. never had such a problem on anything. i'm just a shade tree mechanic and never not been able to get fixed what needed fixed. oh, by the way i just went to auto zone cause they will read your codes for free, and they like my friends shop say zero codes. how can this be possible there is deffently something wrong with this piece of ****.
Old 11-27-2009, 01:14 PM

o.k. now that the sun is setting and i can't work on it any more and i'm a little clamer, i pulled the only sensor on the trans that looked like what they tried to sell me and had the nubers run on it and it came back as a speed control sensor. well on the print out they have a digital gear driven sensor which is what they tried to sell me. the 4r100 has a pluse sensor which is what i got on mine which leads me to believe i have the 4r100, but they don't have it. have to get it from the dealer. when i told him my speedo is acting funny, abs light on, and o/d light is flashing, BUT, the odometer is still working he siad the insterment cluster might be bad. i can understand the speedo, but could this effect my abs and o/d? if this can help anyone figure this out here is where i'm at. git an early 99 with i'm 98% sure is a 4r100 trans. speedometer act funny, abs light on, o/d light flashes (but the shifts fell normal now), but the odometer still works. i have a new pcm that throws no codes on two test in two different places. i changed the sensor on the rear diff which the part store called the abs sensor and nothing. 3 parts house said when i call that the vss is in the trans. can anyone help
Old 11-28-2009, 04:34 AM

well its a new day and just wanted to bump to the top by so some mericle someone has the answer. as for me with no new info i'm do with it. it'll be going to the shop on monday. (4 weeks without this truck and counting)
Old 11-28-2009, 05:03 AM

humm really sounds like your VSS. by the way you tell me what the spedo is doing, the VSS is worn out. if it was a fuse it wouldnt work at all! look online, their are i thing about 3 VSS (idk about your year truck) and a ton of abs sensors. i think they all help to make one speedo gauge reading some more that others

is your truck shifting bad?

good luck
Old 11-28-2009, 05:48 AM

It is a speed sensor on top of the trans. There are 2 of them your gonna need to figure out wich one. My truck did the same exact thing and it was the speed sensor on the rear of the trans.
Old 11-28-2009, 06:00 AM

when i first noticed it you would drive for 30-40min fine then the o/d strat to flash and in my opinion yes it started shifting bad. when i changed the sensor on the rear diff the o'd starts flashing a few second after i start to move, but it seemed to be shifting fine (but i was driving a little harder then normal. both now and before the abs comes on a few seconds after starting to move and the speedo starts to move at around 10-15 mph but will go to like 20 then fall and catch itself. sometimes all the way sometimes a little, and running down the interstate at 80 it bonces between 20-40 or so. i hav e had it on two different computers and both some no codes.
Old 11-28-2009, 06:08 AM

Hmmmm. My truck would start shifting badly after a few minutes of driving and the o/d light would start flashing a few minutes after i started driving. I didnt notice my speedo doing anything funny though. And I stopped driving the truck untill I got it fixed so I would not harm the trans. I think your problem may be with one of the speed sensors on the trans.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.