fuel additive - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-25-2009, 06:32 AM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
fuel additive

i know this has been talked about befor, but was wondering on the 7.3 what additive are yall using i have used lucas and thinking about switching to diesel kleen cause it is so easy to get here in texas. also one more question what do you think about the lucas oil additive my truck has 124k figured a quart would not hurt anything. thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-25-2009, 06:54 AM
Super Moderator

I use Diesel Kleen in every tank. Seems to work pretty well. I've used it for a while.

Don't know anything about the Lucas additive. Hopefully, someone else who is can shed some light on it.
Old 11-25-2009, 07:43 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
I've been using Opti-Lube XPD after theat report came out saying it was the best but, how would I know? I mean how would anybody really know it was working?

Pick something and use it because I guess the ULSD alone isn't good for our injection system. Lots of people use Diesel Kleen I think because you can get it anywhere and buy it as you need it. I ordered 3 gallons of Opti-Lube XPD and they double sent the order so I've got a LOT of it to burn-up!
Old 11-25-2009, 08:09 AM

RBP additive is the route to go... far better in every way than anything else on the market....

where as normal bottle of additive are 15-18 dollars and they treat 60-80 gallons... the RBP additive is 24-29 dollars and treats 500 gallons

Quote:
16oz - RBP’s High Performance Diesel Fuel Additive Enhancer

•RBP’s High Performance Additive is a total fuel system cleaner and lubricity enhancer with an added 5% cetane increase for all types of diesel engines.

•One 16oz bottle treats 500 gallons. 1oz treats 32 gallons of fuel. Ultra concentrated formula. 1 bottle lasts an average of 16 tanks of fuel. Leading competitors average 1 oz. of additive per five gallons of fuel.

•Improves the performance, fuel efficiency and longevity of diesel engines while reducing deposits, black smoke and emissions.

•Improves fuel economy by cleaning dirty injectors and allowing proper fuel atomization, keeping the injectors lubricated so they last longer and operate more efficiently.

•Compensates for the variances in quality of different fuels (including biodiesel) and the deficiencies of today’s Ultra Low Sulfur Diesel fuel (ULSD) for better engine operation.

•Increases mileage by approximately 10%.

•Restores horsepower by cleaning and improving the efficiency of injectors.

•Designed for use in heavy-duty diesel engines.

•EPA Approved.

What is Cetane?
Generally, diesel engines run well with a Cetane Number (CN) from 40 to 55. Fuels with a higher cetane number which have shorter ignition delays provide more time for the fuel combustion process to be completed. Hence, higher speed diesels operate more effectively with higher cetane number fuels. The national CN average is 45.

Disperses Water
When outside weather changes dramatically from hot to cold, diesel fuel tanks sweat, creating condensation. Water damages both injectors and the enterer fuel injection system.

BioDiesel
Biodiesel properties increase the likeliness of moisture accumulating in the fuel tank, creating rust and other deposits. When outside weather changes dramatically from hot to cold, diesel fuel tanks sweat, creating condensation. Water damages both injectors and the enterer fuel injection system. RBP’s regular additive is recommended when using Biodiesel to reduce risks of rust and metal contamination.

Lubricates Fuel Injectors and Pump
Standard low sulfur diesel fuel contains 500 sulfur parts per million (ppm). Ultra low sulfur diesel fuel reduces sulfur content to 15 ppm. Because of this sulfur reduction, ultra low sulfur diesel fuel has significantly reduced lubricity – a critical property in controlling wear in fuel pumps and injectors. RBP’s Diesel Fuel Additive adds back all the lubricity properties needed and more, without adding sulfur. Fuel pump and injector service life is extended, saving time and money on maintenance costs.

Waxing and Gelling
Fuel degradation causes waxing and gelling, which in turn increases deposits and the chance of filter plugging. RBP’s diesel fuel additive contains an anti-gelling detergent combined with our water dispersing formula which controls walling and gelling.

•Controls waxing and gelling

•Inhibits wax crystal growth

•Reduces pour point

•Reduces Cold Filter Plug Point
•Keeps fuel filters free of wax

Fuel Stabilizer
RBP’s Diesel Fuel Additive significantly improves the oxidation and thermal stability of diesel fuel and overcompensates for ultra low sulfur diesel fuel’s potential stability loss caused by extra processing and sulfur removal. Diesel fuel treated with RBP’s Diesel Fuel Additive easily meets the requirements of the National Council of Weights and Measures (NCWM) Premium Diesel Fuel Specification for resisting diesel fuel degradation.

Improved Fuel Economy
As diesel engines are used, they become less efficient over time. Fuel injector deposits interrupt spray patterns, causing poor fuel atomization, incomplete combustion, excessive emissions and smoke. Tests prove that RBP’s Diesel Fuel Additive cleans dirty injectors, disperses water, lubricates injectors and improves fuel economy by up to ten percent, restoring horsepower and performance.

Improved Mileage and Longevity
RBP’s fuel additive is the most concentrated product on the market today and can pay for itself in two ways: mileage and longevity. If mileage is increased by 5%, RBP’s additive pays for itself. In diesel motors with electronic injectors, mileage is increased by approximately 10%. Mechanical injectors may experience an approximate 5% mileage increase. Results vary depending on road and weather conditions.

Use one 16 oz bottle to treat 500 gallons of diesel fuel. Average use is 1oz of additive for every 32 gallons of fuel. To improve poor fuel mileage, add ∏ bottle to 1 full bottle at first use to clean and lubricate the fuel system.

Minimized Soot Loading
RBP’s Diesel Fuel Additive is a powerful cleaner that cleans fuel injectors and piston rings for improved combustion and better sealing. It minimizes soot generated from incomplete combustion and helps keep soot out of the crankcase. Reduced soot loading controls soot related wear and increases engine oil viscosity.

http://www.rollingbigpower.com/images/conoco.pdf
Old 11-25-2009, 10:39 AM

You asked what we're using and I'm using the two stroke oil with great results. I know it is working because the injectors became much much quieter within 2 miles of adding it. one ounce per gallon. I discovered it by reading that same lube study referenced above and then by searching and it turns out that many folks use it in many diesel engines.
Old 11-25-2009, 11:01 AM

yes you can use two stroke oil... but that raises the emission released and raises the amount of smoke you will produce.... and that is what we dont want... now that prius owner that drives next to you on the freeway writes his congressman with his feather pen, and pink boa (LOL, sorry had to) and get emissions regulations for diesel... plus one per gallon costs more money than the one ounce per tank of the RBP additive I sell...
Old 11-25-2009, 11:34 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by DunesRunner08 View Post
yes you can use two stroke oil... but that raises the emission released and raises the amount of smoke you will produce.... and that is what we dont want... now that prius owner that drives next to you on the freeway writes his congressman with his feather pen, and pink boa (LOL, sorry had to) and get emissions regulations for diesel... plus one per gallon costs more money than the one ounce per tank of the RBP additive I sell...
So....looking at the RBP site, there is the:
High Performance Diesel Fuel Additve Enhancer - $29.50
Regular Diesel Fuel Additve - $24.50
I see the HP version gets 5% cetane boost. I'm a mostly daily driver, bolt on intake and exhaust kind of guy, who occasionally tows my 12Klb 5th wheel. Which of the two do you recommend?
Old 11-25-2009, 11:37 AM

i still recommend the HP version for everyone... its all I run and I am a daily driver.. the added cetane will always help... and I run a nice special if you buy the additive by the case... there are 12 in a case.. so that is roughly about 6000 gallons of fuel you get to treat... PM me if you are interested
Old 11-25-2009, 11:37 AM

stanadyne here, i buy it in lewisville! just north of you
Old 11-25-2009, 11:39 AM
Super Moderator

Okay then...Making myself a note that when I'm done with my bottle of Diesel Kleen to order some RBP HP diesel additive.

That's a mighty tempting offer, but with things the way they are...I'll have to do one at a time.

Thanks for the recommendation.

Last edited by SuperCrutyPS; 11-25-2009 at 11:42 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.