Does this ever happen to you? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-24-2009, 08:02 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Does this ever happen to you?

So went to NTB today to get my tires rotated and balanced. After about an hour of waiting the store manager came out and said that they couldn't get my truck on their lift because it is "Over Sized". I told him that I have been here multiple times and have never had an issue.

He came back moments later and said, "No, my technician does not feel safe working on your truck, I'll call around and find another store with a lift that can accommodate it".

Growing very impatient and feeling like I was surrounded by dumb*****, I replied with;

"Look, the last time I was here there was a Dodge that was sitting on 37's on that lift rite there, he was having new tires put installed". "If you don't put my truck on the same lift or at least try, I'm going to put it on there myself". "Like I said, I've been here 3 times in the past year and have never had an issue".

Within 5 minutes they had my truck on the lift. Do ya'll ever run into similar issues? I know our trucks are big but people look at them like their too much work or something. I'd much rather work on a 3/4 ton truck than a foreign compact any day of the week. Yes, our engines alone may weigh as much as a Honda but with the correct tools their way easier to work on. Opinions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-24-2009, 08:24 PM
Premium Member

I know guys that used that exuse all the time
it sucks to rotate and balene large tires.
there equipment could handel it fine.
Old 11-24-2009, 08:30 PM

Why did they need a lift to rotate your tires?? all they need is a couple jacks in the front and a couple in the back. How do you remove tires when they're sitting on a lift???
Old 11-24-2009, 09:32 PM
<< Representin with INK

No way on the easier part, my miata right now and all of my own hondas I can literally have the motor and trans out of the car in like 30 minutes give or take how many snacks i have while doin it lol but yes people do look at these trucks like they are rocket science or somethin lol. I got pulled over the other day and had to argue with him to prove that my stack was an actual muffler and it was legal here!!! It was rediculous, he had to call another highway patrol guy to come look and make sure it was an actual muffler and not just piping. My first dumbass remark was do they honestly make 10" straight pipes that drop back into a 5" tip? lol people need to hit the books and get some brains, whats the point in being alive if your too dumb to see past your own nose?
Old 11-25-2009, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalton1 View Post
I know guys that used that exuse all the time
it sucks to rotate and balene large tires.
there equipment could handel it fine.
The worst part is..... they will sell you those tires... that lift you have installed.... but now they won't work on it... ... well until you need new tires...

When they swap tires on mine they just stick (2) jacks under the front and (1) under the rear diff... No lift necessary...
Old 11-25-2009, 09:50 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to carnival owner mikey
i brought m travel trailer (36'' TAGALONG) to GOODYEAR of all places to have new tires on it. the tech asked me to take it off the truck i said fine but dont you think its safer on a truck instead of a wobbly hitch. so we leave to walk next door to the mall and return one hour later to see the original tires on my tt and 4 brand new ones in the bed of my truck. it seems they had no specs on how to jack up the trailer so they didnt.i laughes and showed em how to pull one axle on to a pile of blocks and how that lifts the other one in the air.they STILL were afraid to touch it so i removed my own wheels they swapped rubber and i installed em back myself. it seems like if these guys (some not all there is NO replacement for a good ol boy who knows his stuff) cant find it in a manual or on a computer the wont do it.
Old 11-25-2009, 11:46 AM

The local NTB bought a new alinement rack a few years ago... smaller than the old one, and now can't service most of my trucks. I have to go out of state (just across the river) or drive an hour north to get alinements done.

However, they have done all my tire work on my trucks/vans over the years, and take good care of me. But then, we still have a nice few 'good ol' boys' behind the counter and in the shop, most of who I've known since childhood. They've never needed any other lift than the 3 or 4 floor jacks mentioned a few post back...

I'd be willing to bet that most of us here could have the truck jacked up and the tire off before they could look up "proper jack usage' in the computer... if you gotta re-assure yourself with a computer to feel safe jacking up a truck, should I feel safe of you working on my truck? Not bashing anyone, but where's the old guy at the counter that knows what you're talkin' about with out hitting a key? That knows where to find it in the books (when they still have them)? That knows the next step even if they can't find it in the books...
Old 11-25-2009, 12:05 PM

all that time they spent arguing they could of had it up with jacks..some people are just lazy
Old 11-25-2009, 12:10 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by layson View Post
The worst part is..... they will sell you those tires... that lift you have installed.... but now they won't work on it... ... well until you need new tires...
I saw that happen to a guy. I was in for my 5K rotation. They were telling a guy with Chevy (I think) they couldn't do whatever he was in for. He climbs up in the truck, grabs his paperwork and almost sticks it in the guy's face. I heard the truck owner ask, "Who's company name and address in on the top of this paperwork and do you see the lift and tires on there?" The service tech had that "oh crap" look on his face. He excused himself and went inside the shop. A couple of minutes later, the tech and the manager came out and told the guy they'd get right on it. They put it in there and raised it up just fine...

My truck looked like a Ranger compared to his. They just used a couple of floor jacks up front and one under the diff on my truck.
Old 11-28-2009, 05:25 PM

i actually work part time at a walmart tire and lube and i happen to be one of those good ol boys even tho im only 21 theres a lot of dumba$$es there they will go oh we cant work on that for such and such reasons i say fine then ill do it myself and show you how you can infact do something you said we dont have the correct tools or lift or what ever reason they say

ive even put tires on cars that have had the airbags deployed and ducktaped back into the steering wheel ive put tires on cattle trailers and 5th wheel travel trailers etc

they always say hey thats not a trailer tire we cant put that on there i say why a 235 85 16 that is load range E is actually heavier than the dumb over priced ST tires

the other thing i do that pisses them off i dont know how many of you guys know but there is speed ratings on tires also and some cars will call for a higher speed rating and that means a more expensive tire well the lowest speed rating we have is an s rated and that is good for 112mph i think and they get mad when i put these on cars that say they need higher speed ratings i just say well if it blows up because they were goin over 112 then thats there prob and most cars are governed at 98-110 anyways

sorry so long i just had to rant a little and let people know there are certain people in most of these places that actually know what there doing
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.