Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

Hyper sleep

1K views 15 replies 4 participants last post by  9950899508 
#1 ·
Holy crap its been a while. I made it back to the forums after about 6 years. I sold my 96 obs and have had a company vehicle for a while. Not a bad deal, but nothing that was enjoyable to drive. Anywho I ditched the turds and picked up a 99 f350 XLT 4x4 dually. 6spd this time because I don't trust the ford autos, the guy I picked it up from had the trans rebuilt to take care of the synchro problem he wasn't having with second... interior is ok but not great. It was owned by a construction company at first. I'm getting a replacement carpet kit from stock interiors, driver seat bottom cushion, factory pull off seat covers from an upholstery shop on eBay that are an exact match, thank god! I have pulled enough dirt out of this thing to bring my front yard up to grade... I replaced the crappy cup holder, some missing trim parts, modified the door latched to get more adjustment so I don't have to use tubing or extra crap to get the doors to stop rattling. Replaced all the lock actuators for some actual security, installed the clutch rod mod, had to replace the parking brake cable, fixed some found issues in the wiring and other work arounds from previous owners... the bonus with this thing was the previous owner was getting rid of a flatbed with a hidden goose neck. It wasn't pretty by any means. I got some spray on bed liner and shot a coat that would rival line-x. Installed some new lights and will have this thing mounted for under $300 total including the bed. I don't have pics of the truck just yet I've been in grind mode to take care of the issues the wife has so it's not a fight to drive this thing on family outings. This is gonna be my daily and side hauler for some extra cheese. I'll post current pics so it's not just smoke, and update as I go.

Attachments

See less See more
#3 ·
Today's work... I also pulled the dash out (not as bad as people make it out out to be) and cleaned it. I then had a can of the ford med prairie tan that I laid onto the dash. Came out perfect! I wasn't able to finish the drivers seat because of the dash work but that's going to be tomorrow or Thursday. The center seat is going to get sent out because I can't find out how to disassemble that. All I'm waiting on now is my carpet kit and a headliner... Im starting to get keyless entry working again. I have to get a transponder key and a keyfob. I found a key from dorman and they only want 25.00, fob online is also under 30.00. So not too bad to get some of those creature comforts back. She's coming together pretty well and can't wait until the interior is complete.

Attachments

#6 ·
looks good man :thumb:
welcome back also :D
where did you get your seat foam from?
my seats are destroyed and i am preping to do a rebuild on them once things dry out around here a bit :nod:
carpet aint too bad, had to do that as well. just pull the pilar covers seats and back piece before you get into it and if it is not precut....
it sucks but is not that bad. I started at the back and worked forward but either way would be fine. be sure to work it in to place heat it up a bit with a heat gun or park it in the sun and line it up at the edges then close it up to heat it up so it forms on its own a bit...makes it easier.

I am terrified of doing my seats just because of the center jump seat and its complexities and working with the leather. then i will cover it with a quality cover from covercraft to preserve the leather and protect it from my retarded rescue dogs and special needs kid etc.
i really wish i had a garage to do it all in but... not this year :look:

anyway my foam is pretty shot as it was sliced up by vandals when i bought my truck. I have a one inch memory foam I was going to cut to fit after gluing the slices in the foam together but perhaps new foam would be the right way to go.
just not the budget way to go :rofl:

#7 ·
I got my seat foam from eBay for 130 and change. The upholstery is oem pull off so it has been stretched a little from factory and removal then reinstallation. They have some nice bounce back and is comfy again because my arse isn't leaning to one side. It's sitting in the sun and I did the rear before the front, the bottoms were a little tricky because of the tracks, and lumbar. Just extra bolts and routing stuff but nothing crazy.

#10 ·
looks good last couple pics wouldn't load due to my infamous internet :doh:
but looks good as a thumbnail :niod:
:rofl:

Reactions: 9950899508
#11 ·
I'm just anxious to get the bed on there. The pickup bed is beat to crap, it was well used. That will happen next Friday. There was some really bad welds holding the 5th wheel rails. Once the Ed's off I have to cut out the goose hitch and the fifth wheel rail welds. I'm not welding my bed on. Ford has enough provisions drilled into their frame rails that mounting will be bolt down. I just need to weld tabs onto the bed for the mounts.

Here's what I'm doing to get adjustment out of the door striker. GM backing plates to the strikers are captive and not welded in. Ford spot welded there's in place once they got them good enough. I ordered extra bolts in because the originals are boogered up. I'll have that done today and I won't have to add the extra crap everyone else is to get the rattling to stop.

Attachments

#12 ·
Carpet has arrived, and I'm impressed with the quality of the cut and color match. I let it sit out flat all night and will be transferring holes and installing on Sunday. Luckily I've had the seats out three or four times so it will be cake. Adjusted the door last night after I got my new bolts and it closes nice and doesn't rattle. Going to clean the rear pillar trim when the carpet out and the interior will be 98%. It's already smelling like a new truck again!

Attachments

#13 ·
I got impatient and ended up doing the carpet install today. I'm super happy for how it turned out. It is a brand new truck! On the inside anyways... I'm done for now, although the last thing is the headliner. I have a little over 700 in the interior at the moment. I'm going to put that off for a while. I need to save up for injectors... 3 and 8 are starting to go... I'm going to do a fuel bowl elimination kit and filter system like I had on my OBS.

Attachments

#14 ·
Ok, so after a pretty busy weekend I started the grind off pretty well. I was able to buy some time today to work on the flatbed and start blueprinting the install. I got my new tail lights and work lamps. Waiting on the reverse lights and license plate light. I'll have the bed wired and be a plug and play install before it's mounted so all I have to do is solder on the OE plug and be done. I need to move the mudflaps forward about 6", I need to fab plates that I can bolt to the chassis That I'm going to weld to the hitch area. I need to fab six shear plates to mount the bed to the chassis, and cut some 2"X2" square stock to space the bed high enough to clear the frame hump. I'll taper the end closest to the cab and angle the front shear plates @ 45* forward angle to alleviate stress between the bed and cab mounting. I will be using either 1/4" or 5/16" steel plating for my mounting provisions because I would rather lose a bed than screw up the chassis. Pics of todays light installation.

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.