Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

Low ICP & IPR readings

7K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  NoRalPh 
#1 ·
Hello everyone. I openly admit that some of this diesel stuff is over my head when it comes to ask these sensors and parameters. Today (randomly) my 2000 Excursion 7.3 would not start after I'd been driving it for about an hour. After several minutes and a LOT of cranking it finally fired up. I checked the codes and one was a P1211or something like that pointing to the ICP. I cleared it and it hasn't come back or done it again. But I plugged in my Bluetooth OBDII adapter and used the Torque Pro app to look up my ICP and IPR. These readings were at idle. As I understand it, they are both lower than what they should be. I have no idea what that means, or do I need additional testing my a mechanic? Also, my boost reading was -2.23 psi? I use my old Edge Evo for gauges and it was reading 0 psi at idle. Although it has read -2 psi on the Edge in the past, but that goes away after I restart the motor. Any help would be appreciated. Thank you.

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
Well in my experience long hot crank times a lot of times are linked back to IPR valve issues which soon become no start all together if left to worsen. I couldn't seem to pull op the pictures but you can pull the icp sensor connector off and check for oil inside. If it happens again unplug the ICP sensor and then try to restart, if the computer is not receiving any ICP sensor data it will default to a known IPR valve setting that will start and run the engine. If the struck suddenly starts then that sensor is bad. There is other causes as well but since you think the value's are low that's were I would start. Ive also read quite a bit that there is a nut on the IPR that can work its way loose causing valve issue's as well so check that.

#3 ·
ICP was 472.53 and the IPR was 7.73. And I did just replace the ICP with a Ford unit in December.

#4 ·
Those reading wouldn't concern me, they don't reflect any issue I see. What you have to remember is that the PCM is perfectly happy with your ICP pressure or it wouldn't be telling the IPR % to be that low. That is, the PCM is commanding the IPR to be bleeding-off pressure by having it "open" 92% of it's cycle. If it wanted to see higher pressure all it would have to do is to close it a bit more and the ICP would rise.

But you're not using the app properly by looking at the hot idle readings. What you want to do is to monitor both those sensors while is doing the Hot, Long-Crank to know if this is HiPres Oil related.

How many miles are on your Injectors?

As for boost, without an actual boost gauge the app is using Map sensor readings, it's not something to be concerned with either (that -2). Get real gauges if you want boost readings you can rely on.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.