New here! - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-21-2009, 03:32 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
New here!

Hey guys, new here to the site. Here's the deal, I'm a Firefighter and fulltime student, just turned 19. I run a mowing company and i've been pulling my 14' trailer with my 99 F-150. Well I bought another stander this year so now im pullin 3 standers on my trailer and im goin through gas like there's no tomorrow. The ford has 175,xxx on it which im surprised it's lasted that long. I maintain all my vehicles, oil changes, brakes, all that good stuff.lol. I've always wanted a diesel and a buddy of mine from the FD would sell me his 01 F-250 w/ the 7.3 for $7k. It has about 210,000 on. He does all his maintaince for it himself. He has had 0 problems with the motor. He just dropped in a brand new tranny(larger than the stock one) and a brand new larger cooler for it. He's runnin 5" exhaust with a 6" tip. It's a very nice truck from what i've seen while were working @ the FD. I am new to this and I was just looking for some insight on this. Thanks!

Jeff
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-21-2009, 03:35 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

The only diesel expierence i have is drivin the fire trucks.
Old 11-21-2009, 03:52 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

id say go for it. Its seems to be a good price and the 7.3s are getting harder and harder to come by.
Old 11-21-2009, 03:59 PM

an 01 for 7k...if its clean and all checks out mechanicaly ud be crazy not to buy it...once you tow with a diesel you will never go back to a gas truck..for loads under 8k i rarely ever see a decrease in my fuel millage
Old 11-21-2009, 03:59 PM

Go for it! Knowing that owner did good maintanence is VERY important, so you have a major advantage over buying from a stranger. Sounds like a great deal...I would definitely take a close look at it, test drive it, and seriously consider buying it!
Good luck!
Old 11-21-2009, 04:05 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Thanks guys. I will test drive it and tow some with it before i make the purchase. I've got an uncle who is a diesel mechanic so i might have him tag along and have him go over the truck i don't know yet.
Old 11-21-2009, 04:12 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I forgot to mention that almost all those miles on that truck are highway since he works all the way down in the southern portion of the county. We all go dirtbike riding in OK and we used his truck to tow the 24' enclosed down there which is one of the main reasons he replaced the tranny. The pic sucks. I'll to put some more up.
Attached Thumbnails
New here!-n1195201723_30825262_5456.jpg  
Old 11-21-2009, 04:14 PM
<< Representin with INK

7 grand for a good running non problematic 7.3 is a steal! Especially a Super Duty, The Old Body Styles still can get a pretty penny if takin care of nicely. I bought mine from my own father and didnt get that good of a price and he had it paid for before I bought it lol. Id say go for it man, I promise once you get into the 7.3 you will never want a gasser again unless its a car. Even then you wont want the gasser lol, Diesels do tend to cost a little more maintence wise but you will get more power-cheaper per whp vs gas motors, longer reliabilty. 300k miles is nothing if takin care of and not modified extreme. You can see a million miles if your really good!! Seen it in person with an Old Body Style! You will get better economy while towing, and maybe while not too! You can pull alot more weight safely and not worry for the most part. All in all a diesel is a working mans best friend! lol for that price tho, I wouldnt pass it up. I payed nearly double that less than a year ago, not complaining I got a really great and babied truck, but I sure wouldnt have minded 7K.
Old 11-21-2009, 04:19 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grease Monkey View Post
7 grand for a good running non problematic 7.3 is a steal! Especially a Super Duty, The Old Body Styles still can get a pretty penny if takin care of nicely. I bought mine from my own father and didnt get that good of a price and he had it paid for before I bought it lol. Id say go for it man, I promise once you get into the 7.3 you will never want a gasser again unless its a car. Even then you wont want the gasser lol, Diesels do tend to cost a little more maintence wise but you will get more power-cheaper per whp vs gas motors, longer reliabilty. 300k miles is nothing if takin care of and not modified extreme. You can see a million miles if your really good!! Seen it in person with an Old Body Style! You will get better economy while towing, and maybe while not too! You can pull alot more weight safely and not worry for the most part. All in all a diesel is a working mans best friend! lol for that price tho, I wouldnt pass it up. I payed nearly double that less than a year ago, not complaining I got a really great and babied truck, but I sure wouldnt have minded 7K.
Yea thanks! All our engines and tankers are cummins so i know what those are like. But i've heard stories about their pick-ups. I was told that these 7.3's will last up to or past 400,xxx if you take care of them, ie: not flooring it off the ling, changin the oil and all the good stuff. Is that true?
Old 11-21-2009, 06:34 PM
Banned

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Firefighter1990 View Post
Yea thanks! All our engines and tankers are cummins so i know what those are like. But i've heard stories about their pick-ups. I was told that these 7.3's will last up to or past 400,xxx if you take care of them, ie: not flooring it off the line, changin the oil and all the good stuff. Is that true?

oh come on.... that cant hurt a diesel.. gotta keep it runnin good and get the crap outta it!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.