My limited slip rear has become a one wheel peeler.. will changing fluid fix that? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-20-2009, 05:49 AM
Banned

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
My limited slip rear has become a one wheel peeler.. will changing fluid fix that?

I have a 373 limited slip rear, but 95% of the time only one wheel will spin (seems like the pass side) and it's driving me nuts! 500+lbs of torque plus a 6spd and only 1 wheel turning bites ballsack.

Somebody on here recommended changing the rear gear fluid and adding less friction modifier than is suposed to be in there. Will this work? I am pretty certain the truck has the stock fluid back there right now. But if this will help I'll be much more motivated to change it out lol.

Matt
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-20-2009, 08:12 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

It's worth a try because it might help and it is alot cheaper than pulling your differential out!
The friction modifier lets the clutches slip so you get a nice smooth ride when turning but then your limited slip won't grab and you end up with one wheel spinning.
If you clutches are too far gone then it won't help. Mine was doing the same thing so I changed my fluid and added no friction modifier to it, but it didn't help, mine still spins one wheel

My next plans are to put in a Detroit locker and not ever have to worry about it again
Old 11-20-2009, 09:00 AM
Banned

How many miles till the clutches wear out? Thats kinda poohey.. i only have 143k miles I dont care about a foofoo ride. It's a SUPER DUTY dammit.. key word SUPER- DUTY
Old 11-20-2009, 09:09 AM

Mine only has 60k mi. and has not been working for a long time!
Old 11-20-2009, 10:55 AM
Banned

damn seriously?? Thats nuts. What is involved in putting in a detroit locker? A whole new rear end or just internals or what? I'm not good when it comes to rear end parts and whatnot.
Old 11-20-2009, 12:11 PM
Powerstroke Junkie

The Ford LS gets a bad rap because they don't work as they should because Ford calls for way to much additive to be used. This is no secret, it has been known for a long time. I replied to your questions in the other thread and don't feel like retyping everything, but to sum it up, changing the fluid correctly will make a huge difference and allow the LS to work as designed.

NCH
Old 11-21-2009, 09:05 AM
Banned

Well I'm just making sure I'm not going to drop the money and time to do this and just end up pissed off because it didnt work lol
Old 11-21-2009, 09:14 AM

Whenever I took my vehicle in to those oil and lube stations, I think they used same fluid on every vehicle. No one ever said anything about friction additive what not. It appears this is one area where an owner has to get his hands dirty and do it himself.
Old 11-21-2009, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mas360 View Post
Whenever I took my vehicle in to those oil and lube stations, I think they used same fluid on every vehicle. No one ever said anything about friction additive what not. It appears this is one area where an owner has to get his hands dirty and do it himself.
Yes, in fact these people should not be allowed within 50 feet of any vehicle, lol
Old 11-21-2009, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 85_305 View Post
damn seriously?? Thats nuts. What is involved in putting in a detroit locker? A whole new rear end or just internals or what? I'm not good when it comes to rear end parts and whatnot.
Your going to pay about 500 bucks for a detroit, and another 300 to 500 for an install.

the gear oil is about 3 bux a qt. the XL-3 friction modifier is less than five. it would take less than an hour to change it out. only install HALF of the XL-3. go drive, problem solved for less than 25 bucks. if that don't work, GM makes a posi rejuvenator fluid, dont remember the part #, but parts dude will know. put that in there, works every time unless the clutches or springs is tader'd, now get after it, lol
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.