Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

Transmission inline filter

5K views 10 replies 4 participants last post by  sasq40 
#1 ·
So I'm going to be adding in my 6.0l cooler here in the next bit and doing a fluid change as well as internal filter. I see that I have the internal filter inline, what's the proper way to do it now as I've read conflicting info. Should I replace the online filter, or remove it?

Sent from my SM-N920W8 using Tapatalk

#3 ·
Stupid phone meant to put external filter.
I'll have to see if I can see a name on it everything in the truck is so covered in grease. It's not a can filter it's similar to the magline but I'll have check what it is.
The 6.0l cooler is a used on I pulled at our junkyard

#4 ·
ok so if it was mine
i would change the external and make sure it's on the return or at least after the used 6.0 cooler

i would also run a can of cooler flush through that cooler since the plate and fin coolers are all but impossible to clean
if the flush comes out clear and not silver you should be ok to go

the external filter used to be installed by ford on all their rebuilds but they have since changed that policy

if you were not doing a used cooler I would just remove the inline

#7 · (Edited)
I just did my 6.0 cooler and ace hardware has the brass adapters from 1/2 to 3/8 but they are barbed on one end and threaded on the other. I put some thread tape on and zero leaks. I was tempted to use plastic but was worried about temps getting to it. Great mod and you will love the lower temps, I cant hardly get mine over 140 after the cooler install. The magnefine filters are the last line of defense from very small debris that may pass through the cooler. I will install one when I get the chance however I dont think they are neccesary. When adding extra coolers or filters you should flow test the trans to make sure you still have proper return flow. There are write ups here on it but you should have a minimum of 32oz in 15 seconds from return line on back of trans after coolers/ external filters .Goodluck

Reactions: ZMANN
#8 ·
don't use a junk yard one. mine started leaking a few days after I cleaned it. if your strapped for cash go to xdp diesel and order one from the 6.0 section and ask for their price beat guarantee on one from rockauto. (grab the rock auto price). I was lucky to get my money back on the used unit but still wasted the gas and time cleaning.

I think it was like $176 shipped for my dorman unit. Rockautos is cheaper but shipping is $$$ so I found one on xdp diesel and used their $5 price beat guarantee and saved ton of money. it came in great packing. I put mine on a long time ago and zero leaks.

also used barbed metal fitting. only a couple bucks. if you really cant find any I can get them locally for your cheap and ship m etc. I used one piece units vs hobbling 2-3 pieces together etc.

*I have nothing against the oem ford unit but wow its pricey and I've contacted a few users here that have been using the dorman units for years and no leaks. there will always be a defective unit sometime but the people I contacted haven't had any issues.

#9 ·
I'll proably give this one a try and see how it goes. I'm up in northern Canada so between or dollar and shipping I'll be paying double that by the time it gets here! This one looks pretty good, definitely better then the one I have in it now!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.