Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

Inherited 2002 F250 7.3, maintenance?

5K views 10 replies 8 participants last post by  Lipka101 
#1 ·
Recently inherited my fathers 2002 f250 7.3 turbo diesel with a staggering 65,000 miles.

I am extremely novice to trucks. I am a honda guy, own a turboed civic track car, newer accord daily.

Anyways, I'm here to ask, what should I inspect, or what maintenance should I perform? I do not know of any maintenance he has done, besides brakes recently.

This truck was also stolen once time and the ignition system was destroyed, which cost $800 to fix. I am concerned about it being stolen. I'm familiar with kill switches... brake lock... but in reality, could a decent alarm be all that I need?

I plan to obviously check the oil and fluids.

Another question, any idea what this truck would be worth? Has a good looking grill in the front, aluminum wheels, but the bed has a dent in it, my father did buy a spare bed to eventually paint. KBB shows ~9500$ in excellent.

Honestly, I'm up in the air if I should even keep the truck or not. I understand the cost of maintaining it, but it definitely will not be a daily, likely a weekender with my wife and kids, and haul some snowmobiles.

Thanks for any input.

See less See more
#2 ·
I just bought a 2001, one owner with 98k on it, for $24k. Yep over NADA, paid cash for it. The 7.3L is a highly sought after motor. I would suggest getting the dent fixed if you want to sell it and you will get a premium dollar amount for it. I had been looking for a good clean PSD for quite sometime and I knew I would have to pay for it. Been doing some upgrades to it with more to come. My PSD was worth the cost to me. Just my 2 cents.

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk

#3 · (Edited)
Price has a lot to do with rust and location. Where are you located.

A good 7.3 with 65k miles around here (western PA) would sit on a dealer lot probably listed in the mid 20s, some dealer even higher, especially if it was a lariat and crew cab. People around here love to play off the 7.3 reputation. It's comical to say the least.

Don't worry about being a 'car guy.' They all have the same stuff, breaks, engines, etc. It's not a big deal.

#5 ·
Don't worry about being a 'car guy.' They all have the same stuff, breaks, engines, etc. It's not a big deal.
JUST WHAT HE SAID ^.....SERVICE IT THE SAME AS YOU WOULD ANY VEHICLE.....

CHECK FLUIDS.....CHECK BRAKES.....LOOK AT THE FRAME AND BODY FOR ANY RUST ON THE BRAKE LINES AND THE FRAME.....

WITH 65,000 MILES ON IT.....YOU SHOULD NOT HAVE A "LOT" OF THINGS THAT NEED ATTENTION.....UNLESS IT WAS CONSTANTLY IN THE RUST BELT.....SNOW / SALT.....OR THE OCEAN SIDE.....

ENJOY THE TRUCK.....

AND IF YOU WANT TO SELL IT.....IT WON'T TAKE LONG TO SELL.....

#4 ·
Oscar36, you got a nice looking truck that will last you many years.

travisbiggie, first off Welcome to PS.org. Sounds like you have a great truck
and I am sure there are a few on here that would be glad to give you the
$9,500 if you want to get rid of your truck. First thing you do is put a lock
on the tail gate.
Doug

#7 ·
wow! I'm shocked by the replies!

Oscar, $24k? WOW! I had a feeling these trucks with the 7.3L were highly sought after trucks.

I live 20 miles south of seattle. There is virtually no rust on the truck.

I appreciate the comments on maintenance. Agreed, its all the same, but bigger!

I greatly appreciate the responses fellas.

Honestly, as much as I love this truck, I may not be able to keep it, seems like too much truck for my needs.

Once the truck is in my name, it might be for sale..... Few months... Drop a private message if interested ;)

#9 ·
wow! I'm shocked by the replies!

Oscar, $24k? WOW! I had a feeling these trucks with the 7.3L were highly sought after trucks.

I live 20 miles south of seattle. There is virtually no rust on the truck.

I appreciate the comments on maintenance. Agreed, its all the same, but bigger!

I greatly appreciate the responses fellas.

Honestly, as much as I love this truck, I may not be able to keep it, seems like too much truck for my needs.

Once the truck is in my name, it might be for sale..... Few months...
Drop a private message if interested ;)
IF YOU DON'T NEED THE MONEY.....OFFER IT TO A FAMILY MEMBER FIRST AT A LOW PRICE.....

MIGHT BE GOOD TO KEEP IT IN THE FAMILY.....EVEN THE EXTENDED FAMILY.....

ASK THEM.....YOU MAY BE SURPRISED WHO MIGHT ACTUALLY WANT IT.....

JUST A THOUGHT.....

Reactions: WD40
#10 ·
In California, 2wd crew cab long bed with 226k miles. Just ordered new pickup. My dealer ran a "fair market value" dealer report on my pickup for me. Fair market range for mine is 8 to 10 thousand. It would need to be pretty cherry to get in the 20's. If it had no dents, no rust, and had maintenance records I could see $15k for yours. The most popular version of this truck is crew cab, short bed, 4x4. If mine was 4wd and short bed I think I could easily get 12k.

It's a great truck and solid engine. Well maintained will give you hundreds of thousands of miles. Good luck!

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.