weird driving the truck question? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-19-2009, 01:57 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
weird driving the truck question?

Let me see if I can explain this. When driving my truck 01 I am cruising along. When I turn the wheel to keep the truck on the road it feels as if i have the steering nice and tight as it should be. But approx a second later it feels as if the back of the truck has a delayed response then goes. Feels sort of like when driving with a bumper pull trailer attached and you are on the freeway and the wind catches the trailer and moves it? you feel it in the back end? I am not getting clunks or something. Sort of like the back end is on a 1 second time delay from catching up with what the front is doing. Did this on my excursion too. Feels weird. Like i am steering the truck then have to counter steer to compensate for what the back is doing? Nothing appears worn out? This truck has 117k on it. The excursion had 80k. Both were like the same. Has a sway bar(stock) on the back. The excursion did not.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-19-2009, 03:17 AM
Other vehicle is an F250

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Hmmmmm? Truck and Ex, eh? Could it be the loose nut behind the wheel? Just kidding. I hate it when something strange like this happens and you have to explain it to someone. Has an alignment/suspension tech driven it? I would do that and see what they think. These are big trucks. You're not comparing its handling capabilities to a small sports car are you? What else do you drive? Just a thot?
Old 11-19-2009, 03:25 AM

No, just diesel trucks. Dont drive any cars. It might be a ford characteristic.
I have driven dodges 04/05/06 it does not do it. Maybe its me(nut behind the wheel)
As a passanger I dont feel it. Seems to ride fine. I have bought fords new in 99 and in 01 and dont recall this feeling. Now i am poor and buying 01's. I may replace the rear leaf bushings with poly??
Old 11-19-2009, 03:28 AM
Other vehicle is an F250

Poor and buying 01s? Hey I drive an 01! Oh yeah, you're right about the poor part!

Good luck and keep us posted. I'm heading out the door to work and will feel for what you're describing. Heck there may be loose nuts behind more wheels than yours!

Have a great day and be safe out there!

Hank
Old 11-19-2009, 05:50 AM
Powerstroke Junkie

Is this a lifted truck? For the heck of it check your cab bolts, u joints, carrier bearing etc....

NCH
Old 11-19-2009, 07:01 AM

New U joints and carrier bearing. Cabs tight. I even solid mounted the front 2 under my feet an pass feet..
Its not lifted but thats how the back feels.
Old 11-19-2009, 12:23 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

My truck felt like the rear end was wandering around and not good responsiveness in the steering. Took it in for an alignment, and they found bad front ball joints and a little slop in the steering gearbox. Replaced the joints and adjusted the steering gear, and the problem went away.
Old 11-19-2009, 12:36 PM

I checked the ball joints, they are tight. I also adjusted the gear box and replaced the front leaf bushings with poly. I am wondering if its the rear bushings?
Real tight tie rods and drag links too. 4 new shocks and 6 new tires. The tires are made in china though. I did not buy them. My excursion drove the same way.
Old 11-19-2009, 01:21 PM

Do you have bigger tires thatn stock? It doesnt take much to make them road walk.
Old 11-19-2009, 02:03 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by melmount View Post
The tires are made in china though.
Chinese tires could definitely be a problem. I sold tires in the college days, and without a doubt crappy tires can cause all kinds of handling problems. Try rotating them and see if anything changes. Try changing the air pressure and see if that affects it. I seriously doubt you have a rear suspension problem. Not much to go wrong there unless you have a lift or other suspension mods.

By the way, when I first checked my ball joints I thought they were tight, but I was doing it wrong. The front of the truck has to be off of the ground, then a huge pry bar is necessary to pry on them hard enough to show the slop. My ball joints went out at 100k or so.

My truck drives precise and tight. No rear end wander at all and actually handles good for a one ton truck.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.