Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

weird driving the truck question?

1K views 10 replies 5 participants last post by  melmount 
#1 ·
Let me see if I can explain this. When driving my truck 01 I am cruising along. When I turn the wheel to keep the truck on the road it feels as if i have the steering nice and tight as it should be. But approx a second later it feels as if the back of the truck has a delayed response then goes. Feels sort of like when driving with a bumper pull trailer attached and you are on the freeway and the wind catches the trailer and moves it? you feel it in the back end? I am not getting clunks or something. Sort of like the back end is on a 1 second time delay from catching up with what the front is doing. Did this on my excursion too. Feels weird. Like i am steering the truck then have to counter steer to compensate for what the back is doing? Nothing appears worn out? This truck has 117k on it. The excursion had 80k. Both were like the same. Has a sway bar(stock) on the back. The excursion did not.

#2 ·
Hmmmmm? Truck and Ex, eh? Could it be the loose nut behind the wheel? :hehe: Just kidding. I hate it when something strange like this happens and you have to explain it to someone. Has an alignment/suspension tech driven it? I would do that and see what they think. These are big trucks. You're not comparing its handling capabilities to a small sports car are you? What else do you drive? Just a thot?

#3 ·
No, just diesel trucks. Dont drive any cars. It might be a ford characteristic.
I have driven dodges 04/05/06 it does not do it. Maybe its me(nut behind the wheel)
As a passanger I dont feel it. Seems to ride fine. I have bought fords new in 99 and in 01 and dont recall this feeling. Now i am poor and buying 01's. I may replace the rear leaf bushings with poly??

#4 ·
Poor and buying 01s? Hey I drive an 01! Oh yeah, you're right about the poor part!

Good luck and keep us posted. I'm heading out the door to work and will feel for what you're describing. Heck there may be loose nuts behind more wheels than yours! :hehe:

Have a great day and be safe out there!

Hank

#5 ·
Is this a lifted truck? For the heck of it check your cab bolts, u joints, carrier bearing etc....

NCH

#7 ·
My truck felt like the rear end was wandering around and not good responsiveness in the steering. Took it in for an alignment, and they found bad front ball joints and a little slop in the steering gearbox. Replaced the joints and adjusted the steering gear, and the problem went away.

#8 ·
I checked the ball joints, they are tight. I also adjusted the gear box and replaced the front leaf bushings with poly. I am wondering if its the rear bushings?
Real tight tie rods and drag links too. 4 new shocks and 6 new tires. The tires are made in china though. I did not buy them. My excursion drove the same way.

#10 ·
The tires are made in china though.
Chinese tires could definitely be a problem. I sold tires in the college days, and without a doubt crappy tires can cause all kinds of handling problems. Try rotating them and see if anything changes. Try changing the air pressure and see if that affects it. I seriously doubt you have a rear suspension problem. Not much to go wrong there unless you have a lift or other suspension mods.

By the way, when I first checked my ball joints I thought they were tight, but I was doing it wrong. The front of the truck has to be off of the ground, then a huge pry bar is necessary to pry on them hard enough to show the slop. My ball joints went out at 100k or so.

My truck drives precise and tight. No rear end wander at all and actually handles good for a one ton truck.

#9 ·
Do you have bigger tires thatn stock? It doesnt take much to make them road walk.

#11 ·
I used a 4 foot long snap on pry bar. Lifted one side and pulled. I have replaced ball joints lots of times. Just did it on my wifes with wheel bearings too. Mine are tight.
the tires are stock sizes. Its a dually too. You would think the back would be stable.
I did tie rods recently too. I will have the alignment checked again.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.