Mods needed to run Edge Evo at level 1, 2, or 3 - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-18-2009, 09:19 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Mods needed to run Edge Evo at level 1, 2, or 3

I just bought a 00 F-350, and it has an Edge Evolution programmer already installed on the dash. The programmer was in level 1 (tow) when I bought the truck, but I set it back to stock right away to avoid damaging anything. The former owner said he never ran it in level 2 or 3.

I want to run the truck in level 1, 2, or 3 but I don't want to break anything or cause the truck to be unreliable. The truck is stock right now other than the programmer. What modifications/upgrades to the truck do I need to make in order to run it safely in level 1? Level 2? Level 3?

Thanks,
Jamdallen
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-18-2009, 01:11 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

I ran mine with just the DIY intake on 3 and the EGTs would hit 1200 in no time! once I got a BTM I ran 3 for a while till I started pulling and needed better tunes and better shifting then I got a custom(ish) chip

as long as you keep the EGTs low you can run3. It will be no fun since it will hit 1200 before you get up to speed! spend the money on a BTM or exhaust and run with it! BTM = $75 or exhaust = $300 to more?

My evo2 in level 1 empty was no fun because it shifted so hard. 2 is where I kept it most of the time.
Old 11-18-2009, 01:16 PM

Get some gauges... an intake and exhaust. If it is an auto stick a valve body and a larger tranny cooler (6.0 one), then get ride of the edge and stick in a custom chip from DP, TW, Swamps, etc.. //
Old 11-18-2009, 01:19 PM

I guess I figured it was a evo2 with the gauges since he says its mounted on the dash. If you do not have gauges, GET THEM!

I think the edge is ok for some. It depends on the application. empty daily driver its ok, but for pulling it stinks. if you pull, get the trans cooler. The 6.0 one is massive and works well!
Old 11-18-2009, 03:35 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by layson View Post
Get some gauges... an intake and exhaust. If it is an auto stick a valve body and a larger tranny cooler (6.0 one), then get ride of the edge and stick in a custom chip from DP, TW, Swamps, etc.. //
It is an auto. I am planning on a 6.0 cooler, but which valve body should I look at and what will that do to increase reliability? Can the stock TC hold up? Why should I ditch the Edge? It seems to work, because I notice a good drop in power when I go from level 1 to stock.
Old 11-18-2009, 03:46 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubular031 View Post
I guess I figured it was a evo2 with the gauges since he says its mounted on the dash. If you do not have gauges, GET THEM!

I think the edge is ok for some. It depends on the application. empty daily driver its ok, but for pulling it stinks. if you pull, get the trans cooler. The 6.0 one is massive and works well!
It is the EVO2, and it does have the gauges (which to me is a nice feature). I don't really want to install new gages if I don't need to...it has the EGT sensor installed already also. I primarily use the truck to pull a 7k lb. trailer (in the Rockies), and the Edge makes a huge difference in mode 1 which is all I've tried. It pulls great in mode 1, actually, as I could easily do 65mph all the way up I-70 to the Eisenhower tunnel! It will do 55mph in the stock setting. A buddy of mine (ex diesel mech) told me that I'd tear stuff up on the truck if I don't upgrade some parts before running it anything other than stock tune. So now I'm afraid to use anything except the stock setting for fear of breaking something and stranding myself. That's why I posted this thread - I want to know what to updgrade.
Old 11-18-2009, 03:58 PM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor

I suggest an intake and exhaust to help the engine breathe. There are several options out there for each so make sure you do plenty of research before you choose. Let me know if theres anything I can help with.
Old 11-18-2009, 04:09 PM

We have the Edge on ours for now. So far it has worked good for us, however as soon as you get on it our EGT's are up at 1200.
We have the following mods done to ours so far: we have the wicked wheel, ram air cold air intake, big head waste gate, Turbo back exhaust, and a CFM + air intake manifold.
We did just order a Dp tuner to replace our edge, and we a ordering a Snow Perfomance injection Kit as well. Then an intercooler will soon follow.
We like our edge except for pegging the EGT's when you get on it. Just our
Old 11-18-2009, 07:07 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Okay, I think I need to restate the question in simpler terms. My truck is a 2000 F-350, Auto, all stock except for an Edge Evo2. I only use the truck to tow a 7,000 pound travel trailer through the Rockies a few times per month. More power is great, but I don't want more power at the expense of reliability. First things first, let's start with level 1: If I want to run the programmer in level 1 all the time, which component(s) on the truck cannot hold up? Maybe the answer is that the truck can handle level 1 with no issues, I don't know. But if there is a weak link, I'd like to know what it is so that I can decide whether or not it's worth it for me to invest in an upgrade. Now, the second and third questions are the same, but for level 2 (race) and level 3 (extreme). What are the truck's weak links for these two levels? Thanks in advanced for your opinions.
Old 11-19-2009, 05:27 AM

the stock drive line should be ok with stock hard parts and tuning. I would upgrade the trans cooler to a 6.0 cooler or atleast a trucooler like diesel site sells. Plently of people blow up a trans on stock tuning, mostly because of over heating them.

get a BTM and a diy intake and you will be fine on level 3. just watch the egts. 1200 is the limit to run at. a few seconds over 1200 is ok (getting on the freeway etc) but dont hold it over 1200.

I pulled 4 and 5 k lbs many times with my evo2 on level2 with the BTM and the DIY intake and was fine unless I was standing on it. I still use the evo2 for gauges but that is it. I went with a flip chip because the evo did not do well when I started pulling my 12k 5er.

I would look into a valve body for the trans. That is probably my next mod. I like BTS from all that I have read about them and will probably go to them for it.

Last edited by tubular031; 11-19-2009 at 05:31 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.