Christine attacked my truck!! DASH FIRE DASH FIRE DASH FIRE NEED HELP! - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-17-2009, 03:49 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Christine attacked my truck!! DASH FIRE DASH FIRE DASH FIRE NEED HELP!

Long post, sorry guys....

Hey guys, i know i havent been here in awhile, but my trucks been running great since march, so i havent needed your assistances...

Its a 2000 reg cab 4x2 PSD auto.

So, we have had alot of RAIN in the past week, constant rain.

The ONLY thing ive added to the truck was a 2.5 inch front lift a few weeks ago and here is what has happened. I suspect a leaky windshield or firewall???????

Yesterday, started the truck and let it warm up, it was 30 outside.

Get back in the truck 10 minutes later, and notice the ABS light has illuminated. Flash forward to the recall 09s09 didnt fix the light..

Drive and hit 3rd gear and now the O/D light on the shifter flashes

This truck has been running perfect, never had a light come up on the dash.

So this is the part when CHRISTINE attacks my truck.

I was outside working on a 135' jlg boom at work, and hear this A-HOLE blaring his horn. Then he lets off after about a minute!!! This proceeds for about 30 minutes, horn on and horn off, horn on and horn off for odd amounts of time...
I thought someone was in distress so i round the corner to everyone at work trying to figure out wtf is wrong with MY truck.
They all start laughing and are disturbed at the same time.

WHEN YOU OPEN THE DOOR, THE HORN STOPS BLOWING
Shut the door and when the dome light turns off, it turns on the damn horn??

So i found the relay for the HORN big relay on the front of the fuse panel. Problem 1 temp fixed for the time being.
Problem 2 raised its head when i pulled the truck out and parked it for about 1 hour, THE WIPERS STARTED WORKING BY THEMSELVES with the keys in my pocket.

So problem 3 is the dinger dinged for key in the ignition when it was in my hand, and problem 4 was the radio was on key was in my hand and problem 5 is the fan motor for the HVAC was blowing and works normal, and the key was in my hand.

So.. all the problems relate to the fuse panel, and either backfeeding power into the steering column, or the fuse panel or some wire burning......

I get home tonight and sizzle sizzle... Poked around and its dry up under the dash as far up as i can see. It almost sounds like a wire is burning to ground, but is not fused on that side, as in power coming towards the fuse panel and since its not fuse its not blowing.

Once i hit the brake pedal it got super loud and i had to disconnect the batteries because it sounded like a hot dog sizzlin'

Once i did that, the noise went away, so i know it wasnt the water on the exhaust.

Im going to open the dash up thursday, but has anyone had this problem?
The dealer wont give me a schematic for the wiring harness, is there one online?
The dealer also said that there was a smart junction box that it happens to all the time, then they did some research, and told me my 2000 psd did not have this and it would be my fuse panel.

The fuse panel that is the furthest down that i could see didnt seem to be wet at all and it was raining pretty good, the noise almost seemed to be coming from the ECM??? by the parking brake, or the wires leading thru the firewall.

The box (mounted the same length wise and direction as the doors on the truck) under the dash seemed to be HOT.. and could have been the source of the noise. I jiggled every wire and disconnected them all, but non made a difference, except for the brake pedal harness looked like it had been slightly hot in the past, but not any time recently

I thought it may have been 09s09 recall, but that didnt fix it, nor did them locking my keys in my truck for over a hour

Well, if you have any advice i would appreciate it gladly.

Wipers now shut off with the key, but the HVAC still blows.

Thanks
BW
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-17-2009, 03:56 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Wow... interesting. Best of luck to you! That sucks!
Old 11-17-2009, 03:56 PM

Mine did that exact same thing with the horn.
The windshield does leak and I think it was actually a big problem with these trucks. I sealed it with silicone and STILL had some leaks along the top and sides I think. Mainly driver side. I would take it somewhere and have them reinstall/seal the windshield. Just a fresh install.
Old 11-17-2009, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jesilvas View Post
Mine did that exact same thing with the horn.
The windshield does leak and I think it was actually a big problem with these trucks. I sealed it with silicone and STILL had some leaks along the top and sides I think. Mainly driver side. I would take it somewhere and have them reinstall/seal the windshield. Just a fresh install.

Did yours shut off when you opened the door? By rolling the dimmer switch up to turn on the dome light would shut it off too...

What did you do to fix yours? Clock spring?
Old 11-17-2009, 04:10 PM

I had had a problem with it revving at a stop light or two and a few times after I put it in park. MIGHT've been CPS but don't think so. Then the horn went off a few times and opening the door helped. Did it while just sitting there. Can't remember if it did anything else but I think we replaced the hot side battery cable. Think it fixed it. But I also think it had to with the water coming in.
Old 11-17-2009, 04:18 PM

hmm well when i first started to diagnose the issue yesterday, i drove into the shop and while driving the dome light shut off, and the horn started blareing .

I did hear sizzling under the dash, i will take a look at the bat cable, ill just use a jumper cable from positive to the starter to illiminate the factory battery cable.

Any more help would be appreciated
BW
Old 11-17-2009, 07:12 PM

Its my daily driver, where are all the helpful people?
Old 11-17-2009, 09:15 PM

Send a message via AIM to nccatfan
First time I've heard of this problem. Curious to see what fixes it. Here's a bump for ya
Old 11-18-2009, 05:34 AM
Powerstroke Junkie

When things get wet all sorts of strange things can happen!! I would place a heater in the truck and try and dry everything out as best as possible, pull all electrical connections and apply dielectric grease to all the connectors and reapply. Of course get the windshield resealed at a good shop before you drive again in the rain.

NCH
Old 11-18-2009, 10:37 AM

I know its not the same but I had this same issue happen on my mustang (99 GT) everything would go off by itself like it had a mind of its own. It ended up being wet from condensation on the windshield that made it under the dash. I unhooked the battery and let the whole car sit in a heated garage (turned up to 90) with the doors and trunk open overnight. The next day i replaced a few blown fuses and the problem was solved and hasn't happened since
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.