Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

Buying 03 7.3. Any problems to be aware of

2K views 11 replies 7 participants last post by  jwestbrook 
#1 ·
Found an 03 7.3 50,000 miles. Everything looks great as far as the body is concerned. Are there any major problems with this year model trans or engine I should be aware of.

G
#3 ·
Geez

I wouldnt care if there were problems with it to find a 7.3 with that low of miles. The 7.3 is rock solid. You should even have a lil bit of warr left on that one so thats a plus. If you have a buddy at the Ford dealer have him warrenty you a cam sensor for it.

#4 ·
Thanks for the advise. I dont have any pics as of yet. I'll be buying the truck tom if everything checks out. It almost seems to good to be true to find a truck with that low of miles. It a 4x4 CC Lariet. I'll give it the best look through that I know how. Any sug what to look for other than the normal?

#5 ·
Sounds like a good find to me, congrats.

Jim

#6 ·
If its a 4x4 id say get yourself a set of better than stock hub locks if you plan on using 4x a lot. The stock ones are kinda weak...but if you don't plan on using 4x don't worry about it. They are solid trucks...just keep an ear out for squeeky u-joints...fords like to eat u-joints for some reason...probably all that power! :D

G
#8 ·
'03

With that kind of miles you really havent got much to look for. You should still be ok on ball joints. Maybe check brakes. Other then that its a brand new truck. If they dont have records I would take it to get the tranny flushed first thing.

#9 ·
The only thing that was wrong with the truck is that the paint started flaking on one of the doors & rear panel. He brought it to a touch up guy and got it fixed. Dont know what cause it to happen. Is there a problem with paint flaking on those trucks. Hope it was not a cheap patch up job that will start having paint flaking off in 6 months. Never been wreaked so it has me guess as to what caused it.

#10 ·
Just buy it! LOL

Only problem with the 03 motors is the PMR rods that were put in them that DON'T have an issue until you start adding a bunch of power.

Good find! It's got at least another 300k in her so the truck is dayum near new!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.