Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

05-07 brake controller swap in 99. Agh...

9K views 7 replies 4 participants last post by  zukgod 
#1 ·
I know it hasn't been done and is "impossible" to do and it's not worth the hassle.

But I have 3 of these controllers and parting out a 05 and can't seem to get this stupid thing out of my head.

I would like it to work just as a standard brake controller, I know I can't get it to work with the trans.

I can't seem to find a wiring diagram for it, I know the 4 wires (blue,red,white,black)are for but not sure about ALL the others..

Would like to think it will be as easy as swapping master cylinders, run power and hook up the normal 4 wires...but we will see.

#2 ·
its been done if i remember right....(cant find the person or link that talked about it)

but you have to use the 05 Master because it has the sensor in it the controller and
the other extra wires should go to the can bus(ecm) and aren't needed for it to function.

atleast that was my understanding when i read about doing it.

i would try wiring it up to a test bench and see if it works/(cut the ecm wirings in the 05 and see if it can send power to the trailer brakes when you press the brake pedal)

#4 ·
Why is the pcm needed for basic functions?

You have a link to the diagram??

#5 ·
2005 F-350: need a wiring diagram..tow

looks like white and black are the ones for the ECM/Guage cluster
W/R and R/W are the master cyclinder

not sure on the other ones and cant find the link i saw

i think the ecm is needed for the gauge cluster messages, engine braking and the rest of the system, but i think without the communication and with the mc sensor it functions as a normal controller.(might be wrong, was only 1 person on the interwebs i saw that said it actually worked....)

Reactions: ZMANN
#6 ·
Awesome!!

Thanks for finding that.

I guess realistically if I just disconnect the two for the ecm on the 05 I can test the controller and see if it sends power to the plug.

Reactions: ZMANN
#7 ·
Okay went out tested the brake controller as is in the truck and works fine.

I then cut the two pcm wires and tested it again and got a TBC fault and tested it and it still works!!!!

I will need to find 6.0 master cylinder because the V10 has a vacuum booster and the master cylinder is way different but so far I don't see why it won't work.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.