Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

Early '99 Coolant

12K views 18 replies 9 participants last post by  ars5147 
#1 ·
Hi Everyone,

I have a F250 Early 99' manual transmission. I've looked online and see a lot of conflicting information. I want to flush out my coolant system and put new coolant in. Wanted to know what is the proper coolant to use for an Early '99.

Thanks in advance,

Cyc.

#4 ·
Thanks I just bought this truck a few months ago so not at all familiar with the type of coolant and additive, do you have any links or description of the coolant and additive so I can order it?

Thanks

#6 ·
Not mine. They look at you like your stupid when you ask for coolant additive.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

#7 ·
If you can find sons fleet charge coolant should work on your truck.

Reactions: Fordprobs
#8 ·
Stay away from ELC coolants with the Early 99, they don't play well with the Loctite used to seal the injector cups. Jokersace is right, Fleet Charge is an excellent, NON-ELC coolant. I got mine from Napa, the P/N was something stupid simple like FC1 as I recall. Just make sure they don't tell you to use Final Charge, it is not the same, it IS an ELC and will be a problem for your early 99. Memory serving, they offer it in a 50/50 premix. Being in Alaska, I have to mix 70/30 and just got the full strength stuff and mixed my own.

SCA Heavy Duty Coolant & Antifreeze - Fleet Charge | PEAKhd.com

Reactions: Jokersace
#10 ·
I found full strength fleet charge pink coolant at advance auto. Searched 3 days to find it local.

#12 ·
I was always told by my pops to never add filtered water to a radiator. It increases the boiling point and can blow due to pressure. Is that incorrect? I know tones have changed since then though.

#17 ·
That guy who looked for 3 days was I. I also spent a whole month scrubbing my motor with a tooth brush size wire brush. And spent 2 months going through everything I could to ensure everything was/is the way it's suppose to be. My truck is like a puzzle, just without a clue as to what type of puzzle it is, what's it missing, what wasn't done or have been done, and when was something replaced. So my 3 days looking didn't effect my driving. And now I know who carries it locally. It's what I was told by fellow members here to use. So that's what I did.

Oh thanks for the shout out. Much appreciation partner.

#18 ·
I think the Ford additive I bought was "FW-15". About $7.50 a bottle. I used two bottles and the coolant tested PERFECTLY on the test strip 1,000 miles later for SCA concentration. I check the coolant with a test strip every oil change which is about one a year. I have a coolant filter with the SCA charge in it. While I haven't changed the filter yet, my intention is to replace the coolant filter every other oil change. I drive the truck about 12-15K a year. I first addressed the coolant and SCA thing about two years ago. So far I'm very pleased with my strategy and results. The test strips are very important. I bought a jar of 25 for about $35.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.