Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

4r100 went boom

3K views 46 replies 10 participants last post by  cletusjermal 
#1 ·
Well little background on the trans

Rebuilt 100k ago, transgo tugger and rebuilt converter.

Was leaving a stoplight on the freeway when it went 2-3 shift then truck went boom.

No forward gears, and no reverse either.

What do you guys think?

I'm guessing converter or input shaft broke?....

Fluid in full and not black. Haven't drained the pan...

Happy birthday to me.....

Reactions: SparkyF250
#3 ·
perfect time to hit up corey and get one of sam's

#4 ·
Ya Supercruty it's going to come out...

I would love a Sam wyse. Unfortunately too many bills from my wedding lol

Any other thoughts?

#5 ·
If you weren't on the opposite coast I would give you mine :/

Reactions: blue99stroker
#7 ·
Thanks Corey.

I thought about that later too.

Does it usually send shaving through the rest of the trans when it strips out/breaks?

#9 ·
Hey Justin. I Was going to text you but didn't know if you were home yet lol

I'm going to go talk to a shop in town after work.
My uncle has known them for many years so hopefully they can help me out.

#10 ·
Well since the truck was down I changed the driver side uvch..

Drained all pulled the pan.

No chunks or crazy amount of shavings.

Shop quoted me 1800 for a full rebuild if I bring it to them or just a couple hundred to fix what broke

#12 ·
Thanks Corey. I figured it was just a basic part swap.

I'm hoping all the hard parts besides what broke are still within spec. They were all new 100k ago with regular fluid changes.

I'm looking at ordering either the raybestos stage 1 clutches or gpz. any thoughts?

#13 ·
I'd only do the clutches that look bad and patch it. Save for a quality built trans like BTS, JW, or the one I carry. John is obviously much closer to you, but his prices have increased significantly. Even with shipping Sam's STG1 will be less money.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

#14 ·
John woods stuff is outrageous... I could be slightly misinformed, but his website doesn't tell you a whole lot for the money, I like to read more about what I'm getting for the price, but not sure how much someone would save shipping a whole transmission etc...

I sent him an email yesterday so we'Ll see what comes up it, his phone was busy when I tried calling 3 times

#15 ·
Ya John woods is really high.

His tow master is basically the same as a 4r100hd from ford for an extra 1500 bucks.

#16 ·
its really hard to beat BTS's warranty.. JS :)

JW, BTS, etc. theres a lot of them that are good though OH also Sam's tranny.. from what corey says he likes how Sam's tranny shifts over BTS's

#18 · (Edited)
I know you do corey I remember you telling me you talk to him on the reg ;)

His warranty is 2yr 24k miles but as stories show in the past he will honor it even past the warranty date.. there was a guy not to long ago who had a built BTS that he beat up on the drag strip and he said Brian honored the warranty even though it was long after it stated... I know its not on a legally binding document so brian could tell you to mess off LMAO but from time to time it shows that he doesn't.. and I appreciate him for that :)

You are right tho

#24 ·
Oh okay I was unaware of that.... you told me more about my warranty that I didn't even know... Thank you :)

Reactions: Corey@CNCFAB
#20 ·
Why in gods name did ford put a half splined front drum in the 4r100 but the E4OD has a fully splined drum.

Thanks ford lol

#22 ·
Haha ya I figured it was money. That extra 2 dollars to machine it right is too much

#25 ·
Got it pulled out and dropped off at the trans shop.

Input shaft was still intact. Drained the tq it was fine.

Guess we'll see after it's torn down

#26 ·
Trans shop called. Corey was right! Stripped splines in the front drum!!

Other then that and a weak bypass they said it would have been good for a long time. Stock borg warner clutches were in good shape too

So new E4OD fully splined front drum and a few other parts, along with new raybestos gpz clutches and I'll be back in business.

After all said and done it's costing me 1250 bucks.

#28 ·
No I dropped it and will reinstall as well.

Parts are so expensive here. Also, shop price for labor is super high in California. If you take your vehicle in to get fixed labor usually costs more than the parts.

#29 ·
Well thought I'd add an update.

The raybestos GPZ clutches showed up 3 days early so they started on it today.

The mech found a few more minor issues.

The rear bushing was a little worn, so they removed both bushings and installed a oversized one piece bushing.

The center support had a little bit of wear so he machined it and added a snap ring and steel shim.

One of the transgo steel valves in the accumulator body was stuck.

I also ordered a trucool cooler to add on in place of the aftermarket cooler already there.

And they also informed the reman converter from ford had a billet cover. So I'm guessing it's a triple disk as well.

He showed me the stripped front drum. I surprised it lasted as long as it did.
All in all I should pick it up tomorrow.

#30 ·
Glad to hear you got out with nothing too major, hear ya on the labor prices, they are nuts especially here in chico!
Let me know if you ever need a hand with anything

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.