Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

Should i be useing 2cycle in fuel

5K views 25 replies 12 participants last post by  RJC2 
#1 ·
Should i be using 2 cycle oil in my fuel. How important is it if at all. And how much per 29 gallon tank.????

#2 ·
I add a quart when i Fill up. It adds a little bit of lubricarion.

#3 ·
Ok cool i think ill start doing that also i add 8oz of diesel kleen now but i have no idea if its making a difference or not the 2cycle im sure will help. Thanks for the tip.

#4 ·
FWIW, I use Stanadyne lubricity, you get the added benefit of demulsifying any water in your fuel. Another good one is Opti-Lube XPD

Reactions: 73L444/power
#5 ·
This topic comes up every few weeks to say the least. It is generally recommended for a 200:1 mix ratio so you could use 1oz of two stroke oil per gallon of diesel that's about a 128:1 ratio or basically 20 oz of two stroke oil per tank. Ashless two stroke oil is designed to add lubrication to a typical two stroke, I'll wager it will even improve emissions results depending on how its tested. I did some research over the last few months and found some interesting articles with some UK, German guys using it in volvos, BMW and Mercedes. I am now convinced for our 7.3l it will only help.

I noticed a big difference in my 6.0s with the two stroke oil and loved it. for my 7.3l I am still testing the waters. I didn't notice the injector noise go down as much but Iam pretty convinced that it will help with two things:

1.adding some (very minor) lubricity enhancements to the US based ultra low sulfur diesel (it didn't help lubricity in UK diesel fuel testing)
2. Increasing fuel economy slightly.

Is is the single best additive out here? NO
Is it the cheapest, most likely safest additive for the pre 2003 7.3l YES WITHOUT A SHADOW OF A DOUBT.

just buy thw tc-w3 two stroke oil at walmart with the supertech name. I run 20oz if im down to 1/4 tank or if im under i put a whole quart

#7 ·
My truck loves the 2 stroke oil, it runs so smooth, it's quieter, and I get my best fuel mileage when using it. I add 1qt per fill up and I have a 29 gallon tank:wink:

#9 ·
Is may sound dumb but I use about 16 oz of each mixed up in an empty diesel clean bottle.........diesel clean, opti lube xpd, and TC-w3. Seems to run great.

#11 ·
I add whatever I have laying around lol. Two stroke oil, Lucas, transmission fluid, marvel mystery. A local guy has a 2000 7.3 with 400+ thousand miles and runs a 50-50 mix of used filtered motor oil/trans fluid and diesel still on stock injectors just yesterday the factory fuel pump finally went out and I just recently put one of my hutch mod kits on his truck. It's quite impressive to see one with that many miles running on what it runs on

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#13 ·
It has to be highly filtered! Just because t-ray-4ray knows somebody who's doing it, I personally wouldn't run it, (no offense intended) Almost all the auto parts stores will take your used motor oil. I'd stick with diesel additive or maybe 2 stroke oil :twocents:

#14 ·
This is Such a common question, been discussed a hundred times here already, now that this one too has gone on so long, Somebody should link to this -> http://rivrdog.typepad.com/files/copy-of-diesel-fuel-additive-version-3.pdf

IMHO, 2-stroke is a Poor choice, there are Much Better alternatives that are actually designed for this purpose and give you other benefits as well...

#17 ·
While the report does shed some light on lubricity enhancement we need to consider the following:

the number 1 improver- aka biodiesel is not available everywhere. Heck Nazifornia got rid of their public access bio diesel stations and this new hpr crap by propel fuels took its place.

number 2,3 are above $2.60 a tank and not available through most local retailers

number 4,5,6 are interesting... the summer blend is only $.68 a tank while winter blend is almost $4 a tank...

I go with number 7-two stroke oil because as much as I don't like the people or business practices of walmart they are literally everywhere...

so yes you could order your fuel additives online and just carry extra no biggy but your paying for the product, shipping and then waiting, or... You could risk getting stabbed at walmart to save a buck :wink: I guess I just like to have fun hahaha.

#19 ·
the number 1 improver- aka biodiesel is not available everywhere. Heck Nazifornia got rid of their public access bio diesel stations and this new hpr crap by propel fuels took its place.
Justin - I have to disagree with your assessment of the DieselHPR. I run HPR regularly while in town. My truck loves this stuff. Runs smoother and it feels like more oomph. The fuel specs (available @ propelfuels.com) show it has a cetane rating of 75 & its HFRR rating is 460, which puts it beween #4 & #5 on the list by itself. Per gallon price is usually on par with ARCO ULSD. I buy it @ a 76 station. Their ULSD is usually .15 - .20 cents higher than HPR. I do wish it was available in more locations.

Just My Opinion....of course.

#20 ·
Hmmm I may have to try it again then. I ran two tanks maybe 3 months ago when I was driving the truck a lot more often and I didn't feel any difference. But I know your an objective man so I'll give it ago again :).

I typically fill up at the little hidden propel station right next to hwy 65 in Roseville. And I'll be going there again this weekend so I'll try to be a little more observant after the full up.

#21 ·
^^ I've been by that station a few times. I think it's a 76 also, IIRC. I get mine @sunrise/Cirby, also in Roseville.

If I had ULSD in my tank when I filled up, I couldn't tell too much difference either. I assumed it was because it was mixed fuel. I noticed the difference after I'd filled up successive times so only HPR was in the there.

If you want to try it again, it's up to you. I didn't write my previous post for that reason, I was just want to share my experience.

Next time you come down this way, give me a heads up. Perhaps we could meet up....even if it's for only a few minutes.

#22 ·
On that study Super-Tech 2-stroke oil came in 7th , so it was still at the upper level, plus its cost is low. So if you want best of the best, you go with #1, I'm more of a functionality vs cost kinda dude, that and factoring ease of finding it.

If I were to use the 2-stroke, how much should you dump in the cash tank? I think mine is 40 gal.

Re, the used oil. I know (once upon a time) truckers were regularly dump used motor oil in the tank.

I know it's probably a totally different subject but what are opinions on Sea-Foam as an additive?

#23 ·
I'm more of a functionality vs cost kinda dude, that and factoring ease of finding it.

If I were to use the 2-stroke, how much should you dump in the cash tank? I think mine is 40 gal.
So that's' the whole thing with this.... There are guys who regularly add a Qt to every tank! NOW what happens to that "cost" issue? ;) If you use it at the 200:1 ration (and only get 1/2 the lubricity improvement of a proper additive and no additional benefits) you're saving money, but it's kinda Apples & Oranges...

#24 ·
All good points.

It's not recommended for 2007 and newer. I run an 02, so that's not a factor for me.

My analysis is that as number 7 it beat a bunch of so called diesel specific additives, so it's still a viable player.

I do agree with you on the fact that it will not have the benefits of other additives, as it is not designed for the specific use.

However, say I don't need the other benefits and am only looking to lubricate the moving parts in the fuel system, then it remains still a contender.

#26 ·
I remember seeing a video where a guy ran his 12 valve Cummins on straight TC-W3. It ran well too. I add a quart to every tank full. Maybe its just me, but it seems quieter. My old 24 valve Cummins definitely ran much quieter on it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.