Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

7.3 Powerstroke VS 2016 F-150

4K views 19 replies 9 participants last post by  Horizon122 
#1 ·
Hello!

I just joined this forum the other day as I started looking into some more research on the 7.3. I have been around Ford and a couple 7.3s throughout my life but I have never owned one. To be honest, a 7.3 was my dream vehicle while growing up. I am no stranger to how forums work as I am on a couple of others from previous vehicles of mine.

So here is the dilemma. I am currently in middle of a lemon lawsuit with my 2014 Ram 1500 (Yes, I know my first mistake was buying a Ram. I came from a 2004 F-150 5.4 with all the spark plug and cam phaser problems when I looked at the Ram lol.) Depending on the outcome, I will hopefully be looking for a new vehicle. Originally I had been tossing around the idea of leasing a 2016 F-150 XLT with the 2.7 Ecoboost - very impressive truck to say the least. I like the thought of getting a new vehicle every two to three years and it always being under warranty. I've had mixed feeling from other people who have agreed with my logic and others who say I'm nuts because I would never have equity. I just purchase my first house a couple months back and have a wedding date set for next October. Because of this, I started thinking about going back to an older truck to lower my payments which is where I started thinking hard about getting my first diesel - the 7.3. I have been around long enough to know the history of the 7.3 and how it is arguably the best Ford engine and diesel engine ever made. I also know how sought after a clean 7.3 is as well as the value the truck holds because of it. I have found 3 that appeal to me with only one being somewhat close to me (Southwestern PA):

2002 F350 7.3 Diesel XLT Super Cab 4WD - This one is the closest to me, just a couple hours away. I like the Toreador Red as it is very close to Ruby Red which is what I was looking at for the F-150. I also like the 133,000 miles. From the pictures it looks clean but I know that can be deceiving, especially up here in PA. One big concern is the stainless steel flares. I know its a common accessory but it is a good way to hide the typical Ford rust. I would remove the decals and most of the chrome trim and replace the front bumper which I found is pretty cheap on eBay.

2002 7.3 powerstroke 4x4 - This is almost identical to the one near me but is instead in Kentucky. I don't mind driving and I have no problem going south for a mini vacation to pick up the right truck lol. I'd actually prefer a southern truck so that it isn't rotted away like vehicles up here tend to do from all of the salt. At 155,000 miles, I have know I'd have plenty of life left in this truck.

https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/detail/675247146/overview/ - This last one is the furthest away but I believe is my favorite for a couple reasons. #1 it is a Lariat which the added amentities of Leather Heated Seats and Parking Sensors are welcomed with open arms lol. #2 I am normally a SuperCab Short bed kinda guy but this long bed is growing on me fast and I can really see it in my driveway. #3 I like the color combo. I have always liked the Dark Shadow Gray but I have noticed it is not all that common to find it with a black two-tone. The black two-tone appeals to me A LOT. Should this truck ever start rusting due to the salt up here it would blend really easily with bed liner or black fender flares. I would also replace the front bumper on this one as well as it looks like that is the only sign of major damage to the truck. At 157,000 miles this one has a ton of life left as well.

I don't really want to pay much over $14,000 for any of these three trucks but I know how much the prices vary across the board depending on location. What would you pay for each one? Which one seems like the best deal?

Using the search function, I complied a list of mods that I would need to do ASAP to help prolong the reliability of the truck, especially the transmission:
  • 6.0 Transmission Cooler
  • PHP TS 6-Pos Chip
  • Triple Pillar Pod w/ Exhaust Exit Temp, Transmission Temp, and Boost
  • 6637 Air Filter
  • Spare CPS Sensor

If there is anything I am overlooking or missed, please feel free to let me know.

Sorry for the extremely long post, but I am trying to get the most feedback as possible. I tend to get a new vehicle every 2-3 years and the F-150 is probably all that I need at the moment as I don't haul much or tow anything - yet. I would like to purchase a boat in the coming years but that is something the F-150 can handle. With that said, my fiance has horses at her dad's farm. I'd say within the next 10 years we will be looking for our own piece of land and she will want horses there which means I will need a truck and trailer. I was thinking maybe it may be wise to purchase the 7.3 now as it is already hard enough to find a lower mileage truck that is straight and clean. This way I can pay it off and hold on to it as it seems they are not depreciating fast at all. Although I have a track record of not keeping vehicles long at all, none of the previous trucks where my dream truck.

Thanks in advance!

See less See more
#2 ·
Your list of mods is correct. The 7.3 is a great base engine, but the newest one is going on 14 years old. I have owned 4 with mileage ranging from 97k to 240k. I recommend planning on an additional $1000 or so above and beyond your mod list. More than likely you will discover the truck needs sensors, o-rings, etc............

#4 · (Edited)
Thanks for the input. I will keep that in mind should I decide to go this route.

I feel there are a couple of better mods and some will/wont agree...

the 6.0 trans cooler: It is a great cooler option for the trans but around $325 from most vendors it is a little unnecessary. The tru cool 40k trans cooler does just as great of a job for around $150 add a few $ for an install kit. Just my opinion. I installed one on my friends 97 f350n and saw 25+ degree cooler temps empty. most see 20+ degree difference and almost half the price why not?

the pillar post guages are great however... for a bit more you can get an edge insight cts or cts2 and have a much greater monitor that can read codes, help you diagnose issues by reading your icp, ipr, idm values etc. and you can get an egt probe kit for it. it is little more $ then a pillar but much more ability by far...

the ts 6 pos chip is great however there is another better option...
The php hydra for corey@cncfab... they both plug into the computer by your left foot on the kick panel but.... if you every upgrade your truck and need tunes changed you have to pull the unit off and mail it in... with the hydra you can changes/upgrade tunes through email and usb cable... plus it has so many more options and variations to experiment with and a handy feature that both have is anti theft mode, however the tune selector once switch to anti theft mode can be removed and carried with you.
I'll admit no one is gonna figure out the ts selector is on anti theft mode but being able to change tunes via email versus removing the whole unit has my vote any day.
Thanks for the info! I was actually just looking at the Edge Insight CTS2 and thinking I would probably have more use going that way and then I can get the dash pod to mount it to make it look clean.

As for the trans cooler, I didn't get a chance to research an aftermarket one but if it offers the same benefits as the 6.0 cooler and is half the cost, then I'd gladly go that route.

I was actually on Corey's website and have been comparing the PHP TS 6-POS vs the PHP Hydra. I do agree that I like that I can have tunes emailed over instead of sending the chip back in the mail but I really don't think I will modify my truck all that much should I get one. For the price and functions, I think the PHP TS 6-POS would suit all my needs. Originally I had no desire to add a chip to the truck if I were to get a 7.3 in fear of screwing something up and causing additional wear on the truck. After reading some threads on here I am getting the impression that this will help with the shift points on the transmission and help prolong its life which is the sole reason for me looking at chips. All I was thinking about doing Performance wise I was this:

• TS 6-POS Chip
  • Upgraded Trans Cooler
  • 4" Turbo Back Exhaust
  • 6637 Air Filter

I don't need to roll coal to get my rocks off - I don't know many other 24 year olds that would say that lol.
I don't need to race every truck in sight - Again, I might be the only one different from my age group.
I don't have a need for the extra power for towing.
I'm just looking for ways to keep the truck reliable as much as possible. I have bad luck when it comes to trucks it seems lol.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
New question now. What exactly is the "turbo surge"? I will be completely new to diesels and I think this is something I want to look out for if I am on a test drive and getting ready to buy.

I see that if I were to look into getting a Wicked Wheel or KC Turbo Billet Wheel from Corey, it corrects this issue. Should this be something that would be good to replace off the bat so I don't have the issue down the road or wait until the "turbo surge" starts?

#3 ·
I feel there are a couple of better mods and some will/wont agree...

the 6.0 trans cooler: It is a great cooler option for the trans but around $325 from most vendors it is a little unnecessary. The tru cool 40k trans cooler does just as great of a job for around $150 add a few $ for an install kit. Just my opinion. I installed one on my friends 97 f350n and saw 25+ degree cooler temps empty. most see 20+ degree difference and almost half the price why not?

the pillar post guages are great however... for a bit more you can get an edge insight cts or cts2 and have a much greater monitor that can read codes, help you diagnose issues by reading your icp, ipr, idm values etc. and you can get an egt probe kit for it. it is little more $ then a pillar but much more ability by far...

the ts 6 pos chip is great however there is another better option...
The php hydra for corey@cncfab... they both plug into the computer by your left foot on the kick panel but.... if you every upgrade your truck and need tunes changed you have to pull the unit off and mail it in... with the hydra you can changes/upgrade tunes through email and usb cable... plus it has so many more options and variations to experiment with and a handy feature that both have is anti theft mode, however the tune selector once switch to anti theft mode can be removed and carried with you.
I'll admit no one is gonna figure out the ts selector is on anti theft mode but being able to change tunes via email versus removing the whole unit has my vote any day.

#6 ·
The 2nd truck looks to be the cleanest. 1st one looks like it was used hard and the 3rd one doesn't really excite me. If you're set on running a chip than look into exhausts as well. I'd get a 4" MBRP stainless steel with a 4" to 5" tip. They can be found for about $500-$600, an aluminum would be a waste if you live in a salt area.

#11 ·
I have the 4" Diamond eye exhaust and I had no fitment issues with it. It still looks good after 2 years of being in a salt area I think I paid $240 for it from Alligator Diesel.

#15 ·
I'll be the sense of reason.

How much money do you have on hand for the purchase?

Are you planning to finance the most or all of the purchase price?

Since you are 24, getting married, and just bought a house this is my advice.

Buy a truck WITH CASH, even if that's an OBS gasser truck.

I've personally never had a vehicle payment and would drive a $500 beater before agreeing to payments.

#16 ·
Right now that comes down what happens with lemon law on my Ram. Because I just bought a house, my funds are very limited - I'd be financing. I can finance the truck completely and it would still be cheaper that what I'm paying a month on a truck that is in the shop 1 or 2 days minimum every 2 weeks. I actually refinanced it for a lower interest rate right before I started having problems - went from $527 down to $474 a month. I could finance an older 7.3 and get my payments lower all while paying it off in 3 years instead of 6. I've always had a vehicle payment so I guess it's just something I'm used to. Kinda why I want to go for a 7.3. Pay it off quick and end up with a good reliable truck.

#17 · (Edited)
So my Ram goes back to the dealership yet again tomorrow so they can try to "fix it"... yeah, right. I haven't heard from my lemon law lawyer in a couple weeks so I will be contacting the firm after tomorrow to inform them of the new progress and see where were are at with the lawsuit. In the mean time, I have continued avidly looking across the country for other 7.3 options besides the first 3 that I listed. I found three more that I think I can add to my list:

https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/detail/677363880/overview/ - My last two trucks have been blue...the F-150 was this exact color combo of True Blue & Silver so I don't know how I feel about another blue one since I wanted to get something new lol. But for the price and condition the truck appears to be in, this is a hard one not to just look past. I do see two dents on the driver side in the pictures that a PDR guy may be able to pop. It looks pretty clean for being a 2002 and the typical rust spots look clean as well does the frame. I'd lose the window louvers and replace the front bumper since its dented. This truck is also only 2 hours from me and the $13,000 asking price is already under where I wanted to be. What do you guys think?

https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/detail/676606337/overview/ - This one I have mixed feelings on. In a way I feel that it has been beat on by a young driver the way it is set up. I'd get rid of the wheels and go back to the stock 16s and wrap them in 285/75/16s. I do like that it already has the gauges which I would do to monitor the EGTs but I am worried this truck was ran hard by the previous owner. Then again, it could be a sign that the previous owner knew what they were doing and wanted to monitor the temps. With it being a NC truck, I don't suspect much rust which is a huge plus for me. 01 Lariat with 128K for $13k.... hard to pass up as well.

https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/detail/677288655/overview/ - There is only one picture for this one since it was just added the other day. It seems pretty straight but that can be deceiving. I always thought that the Highland Green/Beige two-tone always looked great together. I think if I lost the fender trim, chrome handles, and put the stock Lariat 16s back on, it would look pretty good. This is another Kentucky truck so I am not too worried about there being much rust as apposed to a truck found near me in PA lol. The SuperCab Long Beds are really growing on me.. especially leveled with 33s or 35s. At $14,500, I am close to where I want to be price wise.

Any thoughts on these compared to these two I originally found (Found on Pg 1 but I listed the links below for easy access)?

157k Miles for $16,788
https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/detail/675247146/overview/

155k Miles for $18,000
2002 7.3 powerstroke 4x4

#18 ·
The only real way to know for sure is to go view them in person. Drive as many as you can to get a good feel. Once you begin seeing them in person, you'll start to get a sense of what constitutes a well taken care of rig from a not-so-taken care of truck of the same type- it'll be evident, you'll see. Not too mention, it's fun to drive different trucks. :) Make sure it has a clean title too.

In any case, the 7.3 Super Duty is one of the most reliable and longest lasting trucks on the road. Fact.

#19 ·
The only real way to know for sure is to go view them in person. Drive as many as you can to get a good feel. Once you begin seeing them in person, you'll start to get a sense of what constitutes a well taken care of rig from a not-so-taken care of truck of the same type. Not too mention, it's fun to drive different trucks. :) Make sure it has a clean title too.

In any case, the 7.3 Super Duty is one of the most reliable and longest lasting trucks on the road. Fact.
^That is the #1 reason I am looking at 7.3s, well, besides them being my dream truck lol

I'd love to go drive every single on but of those that I have found:

2 are within 2 hours from me (Central PA & Ohio - Opposite Directions from me lol)
2 are a within 6 hours from me (Kentucky)
1 is a 10 hour drive from me (North Carolina)
1 is a 12 hour drive from me (Tennessee)

...I mean I guess I could shoot over to Ohio and check out the blue one, from there drop down to Kentucky and look at the red short bed & green/tan lariat. Then continue south to Memphis and check out the grey lariat and from there shoot over to North Carolina to look at the black lariat. I guess that would give me one long scenic road trip to say the least lol.

#20 ·
Just look for some in the local car used car dealers. Quick way to just do a Google search of the all the dealers in your area and look at their online inventory. Even if they're beat to **** doesn't hurt to get a feel for what one in person looks like, etc.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.