New powerstroke owner - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-07-2009, 05:07 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
New powerstroke owner

Well, ive been makin fun of ford diesels for years and i finally bought one. I drive a 93 w250 (dodge ram 4x4) im not going to go into my mods on that truck since this is a ford site and not a cummins site. I consider myself spoiled since I never really need to do any maintenance on my cummins besides changing fluids. I need help on my ford though. Heres the lowdown...2002 f350 with 350k miles. I am the second owner. It doesnt leak oil, more like ooozes. It also leaks fuel from the water separator valve. So far I bought a new valve and the hpop o-rings and have not yet installed them. I cant tell how the truck feels on power due to a horrible clutch. Also the truck grinds terribly going into second gear...it even pops out if you dont shift it solidly. Supposedly, it has had all the injectors replaced. I was wondering if someone could give me some links so i can get a complete low down on my truck. Is 350k a lot of miles for this truck...what kind of failures should i watch out for, etc. I do plan on upgrading performance wise in the future...i know it will never touch my dodge performance wise with my budget, but its a very roomy, comfortable truck, and my back doesnt hurt when i step out plus it rides like a caddy and even steers straight. I just want it to be able to move out of its own way. I greatly appreciate any help and btw, youll all be jealous....i only paid 3000 for the truck.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-07-2009, 06:52 PM
addicted to diesel

well the mileage isnt to bad as long as the previous owner did decent mantniece prior to those problems. i wish i could be jealous but i only paid 3300 for my truck on ebay and all it really needed was a torque converter.
Old 10-08-2009, 08:51 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by bogurt View Post
i know it will never touch my dodge performance wise with my budget.
Your smoking the wrong damn crack if you think a psd wont touch those old garbage cummins. It's common knowledge that if it ain't a 24v or greater, it's not touching a psd. Your psd has 100lbs of torque more stock, plus the wonderful advantage of computer controlled everything. You can make triple the power in your PSD as that old as cummins.
Old 10-08-2009, 09:02 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

I got $300 in my custom tunes and havnt been passed by a 12valve yet..just something to think about and no th 7.3s arnt very fast but just saying..anyways...the search function will do you alot of good on the forumns and if you cant find what your looking for feal free to ask
Old 10-08-2009, 09:15 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Well, from what I've seen, performance parts are much more expensive and elusive compared to a vast aftermarket support for cummins. Im not saying anything bad about powerstrokes, im just saying that with my common knowledge, I dont think I can afford to mod out my ford enough to even touch my dodge. Performance wise it would take a lot to keep up with my dodge. After all, my dodge is a single cab srw, so im sure there is an immense weight difference. My truck currently runs up to 42 pounds of boost on #2 only. i have 700 dollars total invested into performance parts for that truck. I haven't dynoed it since my new (used) injectors and turbo. I dont want to get in an argument cummins vs. powerstrokes. I like my ford for comfort and looks, and i prefer my dodge for performance, fun, and fuel mileage. Everyone has their opinion on these trucks and u just got mine. If you can tell me some inexpensive and easy mods for my ford, Im all ears and eager to learn
Old 10-08-2009, 09:19 AM
Banned

42lbs of boost doesn't really impress me. 42lbs of boost on a 16g turbo, and 42lbs of boost on a gt38r are two VERY different animals. What kind of hp/tq are you putting down?

370$ for a tuner, 20$ for a muffler delete, and 60$ for a tymar 6637 intake gets you about 700lbs of torque. If you have an automatic, line pressures will be boosted significantly and it will shift MUCH quicker and more efficiently.

The rest is on you as to how good you are at finding parts. W/ 1300$ stage 1 single shot injectors you'll be looking at right around 380hp on a stock turbo. Upgrade the turbo and put in stage 2 or 3 injectors, the possibilities are endless. Hell, upgrading the hpop is worth around 70-75hp alone w/ supporting fuel injectors.

Again, if you know how to shop and have connections, these parts will be cheap as hell.
Old 10-08-2009, 11:18 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I made 340/721 on my old injectors and stockish turbo on water/meth. @ 1600 ft elevation 2 years ago. Any ways my dodge weighs 6200 pounds with a full tank. And im sure its going to take a lot more horsepower to move my quad cab dually beast of a truck ford at the same rate. Lets stop any arguments before they happen...the 7.3 powerstroke is far superior in every way.... performance, reliabilty, and otherwise to cummins...happy??.isnt a 16g off a mitsubishi or something?? what is the noise difference after the muffler delete? What kind of boost can this motor take stock and can the wastegate safely be tinkered with for more boost? What kind of gains can I expect from a tuner....the first thing ive always done before modding out my diesels is buying a pyrometer, what kind of egts should i expect and are safe after the mods?
Old 10-09-2009, 09:51 AM
Banned

Well enough.

Alright yes the 16g is a mitsu turbo lol.
I can PERSONALLY TELL YOU, that the truck sounds ****ing awesome w/out a muffler. Know how I know? I just had mine removed an hour ago But the exhaust is now DEEEEP, the turbo sounds hardcore, and the whooshing after you let up on the gas is amazing. It sounds very close to a big rig (if you put 4 or 5" piping on it would def. sound like one). The truck isn't obnoxious; but you know it's a badass diesel!!

The stock turbo can run about 28-29lbs of boost. Any more and your in trouble. Lots of people have made very successful trucks out of stock turbos though. The wastegate CAN be tinkered with, but why bother. Just leave it stock until you get a bigger turbo.

Like I said above, a TW tuner, which will cost 375$-450$ will yield 200lbs of torque or so.. Your truck has I believe 250hp and 525lbs of tq. You will probably be around 725-ish tq and 320hp. These trucks wont make much past 320-ish hp w/out injectors. W/ only stage one injectors, your looking at around 370-380hp. A better hpop is worth another 70-80hp.

Normal egt's are around 5-600* cruising.. some people reach 800* going uphill. While towing they will be a bit more. EGT's shouldn't exceed 1300* or so.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.