Relocate Batteries - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-06-2009, 11:41 AM
The Screwy HEUI

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Question Relocate Batteries

I thought I had seen a similar thread, but damned if I can find it, so I'll start another one. I'm still completing the build on my '01 7.3 & I need a little more room under the hood. I want to mount my Optimas in the bed, but it stops pretty much after the mounting part. For anyone who's successfully done this, how/where did you run your battery cables? I've searched through my diesel mags & I only find where they've mounted the batts., they don't show how they run the cables & most of the pics I see you can barely see batt. cable(which is what I'm shooting for). I've got a custom battery tray made up by a friend, but until I can figure a clean way to run these cables, it's gonna sit in my garage for a while. Does anyone have any pics? Did you use the same gauge cable as the stock cables? What did you use for the terminal mounts? Thanks to anyone in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-07-2009, 03:06 AM
Powerstroke Junkie

I would just run them along the frame rails, as for cable run heavier cables for sure. I have all my cables made at a local stereo shop, the cables are better than anything I have found in a store and stay flexable. They will install the fittings for you, you just need to measure what length you need, use a spool of wire for your length gauge. Also make sure you obtain a good ground.

NCH
Old 10-07-2009, 01:29 PM
The Screwy HEUI

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCHornet View Post
I would just run them along the frame rails, as for cable run heavier cables for sure. I have all my cables made at a local stereo shop, the cables are better than anything I have found in a store and stay flexable. They will install the fittings for you, you just need to measure what length you need, use a spool of wire for your length gauge. Also make sure you obtain a good ground.

NCH
Awesome! Thanks, Kev!
Old 10-07-2009, 01:42 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

^^^Like what was said above. I would run them along the frame rails and then up into the bed. It doesn't hurt to use 0 gauge. The way I look at cable, the bigger the better. You never know when you might need to use more than two batteries.
Old 10-07-2009, 09:54 PM
Electrical Ogre

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Usually you can get welding cable cheaper than the overpriced ricer-eurotrash bling-bling stereo stuff. Who cares if it's black? Welding cable is way more flexible, and has a better jacket.
A good welding supply shop should be able to set you up with what you need for cheap, and even crimp the on lugs for you.
Old 10-07-2009, 10:36 PM
Oilfield Trash

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
might want to look into the wireless energy theory.

jk

frame sounds good. but where in the bed are ya gonna mount em? why not on the frame?
Old 10-08-2009, 02:21 PM
The Screwy HEUI

Quote:
Originally Posted by bockhold View Post
frame sounds good. but where in the bed are ya gonna mount em? why not on the frame?
Because I've got a custom, chrome, diamond-plated tray. I don't want the batts. exposed to the elements, either.
Old 10-08-2009, 02:53 PM
Serving Our Country!

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
1/0 is not large enough. The stock starter cable is 2/0, if your going all the way to the bed, you may need to run a 4/0 to the starter depending on length. Use 4 to the solenoid on the passenger side fender where the rest of the truck gets its power.

For my relocation, I am running 4/0 for the starter and 1/0 for everything else. The 1/0 is overkill, but it was conveniently already there from a previous amp setup. I initially attempted to use the 1/0 for everything, including the starter, but the voltage would drop to 8v at the end of the line when trying to start.

If I were to do it again, I would mount the batteries to the outside of the frame.

Dennis at ITP relocated the batteries to the bed on this truck.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.