Lift Questions? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-05-2007, 07:57 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Lift Questions?

I have a 2001 F-250 ext cab short box psd looking to lift it.. I bought it already w/ a 2 inch leveling kit but wanna go bigger trying to get some ideas on how high I wanna go I like the looks of the 8 in. but what all do you have to mod in order to put an 8" on? and as far as brands im not sure either any suggestions or comments on which way to go? BTW this is a daily driver

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-05-2007, 08:10 AM

Send a message via AIM to 99Smokin73Stroker Send a message via Yahoo to 99Smokin73Stroker
What do you mean what do you have mod to get the 8" on? The kits are bolt on. Probably have to remove the leveling kit, as the new lift should have one built in to compensate.
Old 03-05-2007, 08:13 AM

I meant as far as driveshafts, brake lines etc?
Old 03-05-2007, 08:40 AM

Send a message via AIM to 99Smokin73Stroker Send a message via Yahoo to 99Smokin73Stroker
As far as I know a lot of kits include new hoses for extended brake lines, at least the taller kits. All of them come with shims for the carrier bearing, but it's a good idea down the road to have a one piece shaft made if possible.
Old 03-05-2007, 08:44 AM

I dont have a bearing carrier?
Old 03-05-2007, 08:58 AM

Do you have a two piece driveshaft in your truck now? If it's a single then it may use a shim where the shaft ends at the pinion. If it's like mine was, I think you can disconnect the shaft from the pinion by 4 bolts.
Old 03-05-2007, 09:38 AM
duct tape & zip ties

Send a message via Yahoo to bigcountrysg
Ok with a six inch lift or bigger the things you need to do. Extend the brake lines 1 to 1 as in for ever inch you raise your truck you should extend your brake lines 1 inch. So if you go with a 6 inch lift you need to extend your brake lines 6 inches. Driveshaft will either need to be extended in length or a new one made. You will need to shim your driveshaft center bearing as well. You need to correct the drive line angle by turning the differentials. You do this so you do not stress out the u-joints or have vibrations caused by incorrect driveline angle. You will need longer shocks for the lift as well. You will need a drop pitman arm off the steering gear box to connect to the tierods so you can have the proper steering angles and that the tie rods do not bind up or rub or hit anything.

I think I covered everything I may have missed a few things if I think of any other stuff I will post it for you.
Old 03-05-2007, 11:03 AM

yes, I do have a 1 piece shaft
Old 03-05-2007, 11:11 AM
duct tape & zip ties

Send a message via Yahoo to bigcountrysg
You will need to get your shaft lengthened and you will still have to correct the drive line angle.
Old 03-05-2007, 04:33 PM

[QUOTE=bigcountrysg;112616] You will need longer shocks for the lift as well. You will need a drop pitman arm off the steering gear box to connect to the tierods so you can have the proper steering angles and that the tie rods do not bind up or rub or hit anything. QUOTE]

More kits these days don't come with shocks due to the many different shock options offered, but you can order the kit with your choice of shocks instead of purchasing separately. Also there's not many kits out there that don't already include a drop pitman arm in the kit....it'd be pointless to sell an 8" kit without the proper length DPA. Since you're looking at 8" it's a good idea to have a good shop lengthen it for you rather than shimming as some do. Pretty much every kit is going to come with detailed instructions on what needs to be done to correctly install the kit on a stock suspension, as well as everything necessary, such as correct tapered blocks that will set the diff angles for you, the pitman arm, etc...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.