tranny rebuild - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-04-2009, 08:16 AM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
tranny rebuild

does anyone have a list of the parts or a link of the typical parts replaced in an automatic transmission rebuild?

also since our trannys are obviously pieces of ****...which parts are the most important to upgrade to sustain more power and longer life?

trying not to break the bank here
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-04-2009, 09:04 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Uh im not real sure, but i'd say a good transmission shop would know. If your not going for a lot of power just buy the suncoast rebuild and a good TC and good VB you'd be set.
Old 10-04-2009, 09:12 AM
Other vehicle is an F250

The guy that built mine keeps telling me he'll give me a list but never has. These guys like to keep their "secrets" close. Torque converter is the weakest link. Get a better than good one. I have one that supposedly is used in F550-650 power company line trucks. 13000-14000 miles so far and doing well. Before, this one the truck killed three FORD remanufactured ones. In fact, I still had warranty left and gave it up to get one that wouldn't leave me stranded. My builder told me that the FORD remanufactured one wasn't even assembled correctly. I don't know, but I expect these are built by "the low bidder" and you know how that can be sometimes?

Find someone that pulls sleds or drag races their truck and ask who built their tranny. That's what I did. Worked out so far.

Good luck!
Old 10-04-2009, 11:26 AM

Well im getting a BTS trans and they are known for pulling trucks.
Old 10-04-2009, 12:19 PM

ok well here's the thing...my job pays for schooling so i decided to go to lincoln tech for auto technician. and they told me that during the transmission section of the course you can work on and rebuild your own transmission if you want instead of one of the ones they provide for you. so buying a new or rebuilt one is out of the question...and i'm sure i'll know all of the parts needed by the time i get to that stage...so mostly i want to know what needs to be replaced...so stuff like hank said "torque converter is weakest link" ...good info for me. thanks...anything else that's damn near mandatory for 350+hp? i'm not at those numbers yet obviously, but i will be.
Old 10-04-2009, 12:27 PM

you will want a valve body as well. I was looking into a suncoast rebuild that comes with all the stuff you'd need for the inside im pretty sure.
Old 10-04-2009, 03:35 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

are torque converters are bad about balloning up and destroying the pump, also the single clutch is really a weak setup for these massive trucks, stock planetaries will grenade with stock power, upgrade the input shaft and valve body if anything over stock
Old 10-04-2009, 03:52 PM

Send a message via AIM to BIGBILL105 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmc919 View Post
are torque converters are bad about balloning up and destroying the pump, also the single clutch is really a weak setup for these massive trucks, stock planetaries will grenade with stock power, upgrade the input shaft and valve body if anything over stock
My torque converter shredded and went threw my pump and the pump pumped the pieces through out the whole transmission and destroyed it all.
Old 10-05-2009, 01:26 PM

Feedback Score: 5 reviews
If you want to DYI then only one expert has a kit..John Wood.
Old 10-06-2009, 03:08 PM

jesus every part is expensive... standard rebuild kit is $500... accumulator body is $350...ats input shaft is $450...torque converters run from $900-$1300...so we're talkin $2,500 for me to do it myself and still not upgrade everything!!...

first thing...the rebuild kit is basically a **** load of seals...just seals...for 500...ripoff
input shaft...no shaft should cost $450...

anyone have nay advice or ways to save on some of these parts? maybe cheaper websites or something
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.