Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

Oil change. Upper engine oil removal

4K views 38 replies 13 participants last post by  NowImStrokin 
#1 ·
Hi, a friend had mentioned he had read that there is oil that's captured at the upper part of the engine and not drained through the pan during oil changes and needs to be drawn out from a fitting that's under the plastic cowl up top of the 7.3, has anyone recalled this thread here? I've searched for it and cannot locate it.
A link or someone chime in to verify its necessity and how long this oil should remain?
Thanks!

#2 ·
It's not trapped in the HPOP, it circulates through. Bill Hewitt's video is so old he's using Prolong in it. He's been pushing Archoil for quite awhile now :)
If you're really worried about the quart or so of oil that's going to mix with your fresh oil and have the time, go ahead (but don't do it 3 times + snakeoil) :rofl:

Oh and just read your title, if you remove it, make sure you put fresh back in

#3 ·
No need too do that, the oil is circulating when the engine is running, so as long as you do regular oil changes there is no need too suck the oil out of the HPOP.

#4 ·
Ok good enough. Truck has always had regular oil changes (25k), more then miles put through it but was something I've been trying to follow up on and if needed to be done. I'll leave well enough alone.
Just want to cover all the bases with fluids and things that may have been overlooked during maintenance within 16+ years.
Thanks guys..

#5 ·
Ok good enough.Truck has always had regular oil changes (25k), more then miles put through it but was something I've been trying to follow up on and if needed to be done. I'll leave well enough alone.
Just want to cover all the bases with fluids and things that may have been overlooked during maintenance within 16+ years.
Thanks guys..
Regular oil changes 25k? FWIW Regular oil change is 5k :twocents:

Reactions: rsater1 and hansel
#6 ·
No he means his truck only has 25k miles on it with regular oil changes.

#12 ·
I thought maybe that's what he meant, just checking :wink[3]:

Sorry I should have been more specific.
I bought the truck this past feb with 24,000 miles on it. The local municipality changed the oil 2x a year, obviously well below the interval mileage.
Now that I'm using it more, I'd like to cover all the topics learned here that I'm sure were not done or were not known about to do as we try to prolong our trucks.
Currently I have about 2k miles and 8months since the last change was done. Is the norm interval about 5k?
Most guys change at 5k, some 7.5k and some do used oil samples and extended change intervals. I change both mine at 5k and fuel filters every other oil chage

I appreciate the comments and what you guys share here. Oil change intervals change between members I see. I Just purchased Rotella T triple 15w/40 ($30- 2.5Gal) and Motorcraft FL1995 filter at Walmart. Should work easily for 5k miles highway driving.
Rotella is good oil, and 15w40 is fine for most except cold weather, lot's of guys who deal with cold winters will use a synthetic 5w30 or 5w40 (REAL COLD maybe a 0w30)
Lot's of good oil choices, search the threads if interested, you could read for weeks.

Also some guys recommend Archoil or Rev-X those are probably the only 2 you'll see recommended. I haven't used them so I have no opinion on either one.

What I will recommend is a good fuel additive and drain your water separator monthly. You want something to boost cetane, demulsify water, and lube the injectors. The ULSD now at the pump wasn't in use when the 7.3 was made, and your injectors have moving parts, hence the need for clean oil and fuel conditioner. I use Stanadyne lubricity and performance alternately. But there are many good ones besides. Do your homework and find one you like.

What you will find on here, is oil and additives are almost a religion :look: Feel free to ask, but it's all be addressed :bdh: so do a little searching if interested.

Reactions: Billy231
#7 ·
Sorry I should have been more specific.
I bought the truck this past feb with 24,000 miles on it. The local municipality changed the oil 2x a year, obviously well below the interval mileage.
Now that I'm using it more, I'd like to cover all the topics learned here that I'm sure were not done or were not known about to do as we try to prolong our trucks.
Currently I have about 2k miles and 8months since the last change was done. Is the norm interval about 5k?

#8 ·
I change mine at 5k miles or 1 year which ever comes first

Reactions: Billy231
#13 ·
The 2 stroke oil added at 1oz. per gallon of fuel is an interesting add that I'm reading more about and makes sense. I think it was TW-3 oil?
Is that being done religiously over long term use? Is anyone using Marvel mystery or any other type oil in place of the 2 stroke type adding to fuel fill ups?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#15 ·
2 stroke oil doesn't help with water, I use Stanadyne or Opti-Lube XPD

#14 ·
I just dump on a quart of tc-w3 every fill up and seems to work fine. An once per gallon is pretty pricey. That's basically adding 6-8 dollars to the prize of every fill up.

Quiets the injectors a little. Little more lubrication.

#17 ·
A Diesel engine is going to burn any oil you put in it ... I throw a quart of ATF in to each tank of fuel I use because of the damn EPA taking sulfur out of the diesel fuel (sulfur gives diesel fuel more lubricity).

#19 ·
Why would you leave a portion of your used broken down dirty oil in the most important part of your HEUI system if you have the ability to remove it and replace it with fresh?

The oil is supposed to circulate happily throughout the entire system but if it has never been done or hasn't been done in a long time, the oil that comes out of the HPOP is horrid with a nasty sludge when you get down to the bottom. Pretty disconcerting when you consider that your injectors get a blast of that at start up.

IMO pumping out/replacing the oil that remains in the HPOP during an oil change is not necessary but isn't a waste of time either.

#20 ·
NO! It's not just "supposed" to flow through the entire system, it actually DOES ;) - hehe

Look, it's not like it's a Bad thing but recognize it for what it is. It makes you feel good about how well you treat your truck (it's truck masturbation, doesn't hurt anything and makes you feel good :))

Let me point out that the LPOP supplies oil to the reservoir at Many times the amount that's being used. So that excess oil is Constantly flowing either out of the res and back into the sump or going through the injectors and draining through the heads (have you ever run this engine with the Valve Covers off? Seen just how much oil is flowing?)

It's all the same oil, constantly being exchanged, and if the BOOB Bill Hewitt hadn't made his stupid video, advocating it and showing his ignorance on the subject, it would never been have such a "thing" (he says it's "stagnant oil" in there).

So sure, do it, get that 1/2qt out (but you know you're leaving that much or more if you don't drain the galleys and injectors themselves) and really, if you compare that 1/2qt as a ratio to a car engine that holds only 5qts total, would you worry about getting 1/3 of that 1/2?

TOTAL WASTE OF TIME AND EFFORT, but hey, it's Yours to waste...

#21 ·
I get what you are saying and I used to tell people the exact same things but I tried it once a couple years ago just to see what all the fuss was about and was pretty surprised to see the condition of what came out. I had to admit that there was some merit in what the "snake oil salesmen" were pushing.

You will note I didn't say your truck will blow up if you don't. Have you tried it Ralph? I'll give you that challenge lol. Try it on a few different 7.3 powered trucks and then see where your opinion is at. OBS trucks seem to be a little worse generally.

#22 ·
Ok,ok,,ok,,, I'll admit it :) ONCE, when I first got my truck and saw Bills vid (maybe that's why I'm kinda hostile towards him ;)) I did do this! And yea, I guess I felt like I was Really treating my engine well, but since then Logic and Reason took hold ~ Hehehe

I think it IS possible that extra carbon & soot might collect at the bottom of the res, maybe making it look "blacker"? But there was a post where a guy sent that oil to Blackstone for analysis and proved it was really no different that the rest of the oil too...

#23 ·
Come on Ralph....just a little further....you are this close to conceding there mayyyyyy just be a teeny amount of merit to it :hehe:

#24 ·
Ya mean because of the "carbon & soot" idea? No, there's no problem with carbon & soot, probably a dz places in the engine (the pan, valley, and pockets in the head where oil collects) that you might find that too.

Nope! I'm too much of a "Logic & Reason" guy... :wink[3]:

#26 ·
:hehe: no Spock, you have a conclusion based on your own opinions.

Anyway, whatever. You've chosen your hill and while I don't agree, I can respect that.

Reactions: SparkyF250
#25 ·
I understand your concern but is ATF really gonna hurt your heui system? its a lubrictaing oil ???

#27 ·
I don't think ATF really is much of a "lubricating oil", how could it be? I mean if you imagine putting good Lube between the friction plates of an automatic transmission it would cause them to slip - wouldn't it? Of course it does lube a lot of what's going on in an automatic, but it's first function is as a hydraulic fluid...

:hehe: no Spock, you have a conclusion based on your own opinions.
YEA!!! You get it ;) It's about your thinking being influenced by emotions more than logic (Klingons ~vs~ Vulcans IS an excellent analogy) and being able to recognize the difference!

#28 ·
The "to ATF or not ATF" has been tore to bits here more than once but where did that get started anyway? I've never put any in my own vehicles but I'm an ex long haul trucker and back in the day EVERYBODY added it religiously. I never really questioned it. I drove company trucks and the owners wanted it added so I did.

IIRC, one of the last times it got round tabled the conclusion was that newer oils have detergents or something added that actually makes them harmful to injectors...?

OP I'm sorry, this thread has kinda been derailed. Feel free to dive back in and get it back on track.

#29 ·
I honestly don't care I'm not gonna start an argument about atf in fuel lmao it's not worth my time ... But if you think it's harmful and you want the additives that cost more money go ahead and let yourself sleep better at night 😂😎

#31 ·
The answer is no... Your new oil change will circulate new oil through the Hpop resivoir which in turn will give you one quart of dirty used oil which will get filtered out... Just leave it alone 😎

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.