Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

Low compression 1 cyl. late '99 7.3

2K views 0 replies 1 participant last post by  Diescipel 
#1 ·
Gentlemen--

New to PSDs but have own my share of diesels, including a factory diesel Toyota Landcruiser, but I need a truck now not a toy. I've been lurking and reading posts and yes I did order a CPS this morning from eBay so I do learn quick.

OK-- there's a truck I'm thinking about. Late 99 F250, 260K miles, 6 spd manual 2000 mi on rebuild, 30k on clutch, clean, fresh paint, has exhaust brake, gooseneck set up, needs tires etc. Price is great, $4500. But the owner reports engine knock, mechanic said due to low compression on 1 cyl. Owner did not have the paperwork from mech., but said he could call him to get actual compression #s on all 8 cyls. (A little fishy that mechanic didn't give him/document compression readings...)

The question is: I am at some point looking at major engine work. What are ballpark figures for

1. Engine rebuild-- independent mechanic & Ford
2. Install used 7.3
3. Install new 7.3 (probably wouldn't bother with it)

In addition, could you answer the following questions:

1. Never had an exhaust brake-- can they lead to engine problems (can't imagine all the truckers being wrong...)?

2. What do you think is the likelihood that this is a ring problem or a valve problem, and so may not require a full rebuild/new engine?

Lastly, I am not a big tow guy or anything. I am just looking for a work truck to do a variety of things (dump runs, haul gravel, lumber etc.) and 4x4 to get away (I miss my 'cruisers!).

Thanks!

See less See more
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.