Penzoil atf? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-02-2009, 09:23 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Penzoil atf?

I just had a trans flush done on my truck and the shop uses penzoil. Has anyone heard any negative results from running it? Just curious. Anyone running it in their trucks?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-03-2009, 06:10 AM
Powerstroke Junkie

What does it say on the bottle? If it says Mercon V or if it is dual rated with Mercon V it is the wrong fluid. The only place I have found the old Mercon/DexronIII is Napa's brand ATF.

NCH
Old 10-03-2009, 06:19 AM
Almostdunfukinwidit

Send a message via Yahoo to Dave
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCHornet View Post
What does it say on the bottle? If it says Mercon V or if it is dual rated with Mercon V it is the wrong fluid. The only place I have found the old Mercon/DexronIII is Napa's brand ATF.

NCH
The penzoil has different varietys The Mercon Dex III is one of them. You can get Mercon just about anywhere around here.

FYI Kevin Merc V was approved for the 4r100 last year
Old 10-03-2009, 07:09 AM

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave View Post
FYI Kevin Merc V was approved for the 4r100 last year
For anyone who's followed the "trans fluid controversy" I think we know Fords side of it. But, I'd love to hear the defense of it.....

There's 3 factors involved;

1) the fluid itself

2) the transmission

3) Fords responsibility for the 4R100

So, what's changed since we were told that Mercon V was going to be bad for the 4R100 and should Not be put in it?

We know the fluid has not changed....

Has the transmission? Being older, can it's seals and frictions now tolerate what was once damaging?

Or, the most likely, Ford no longer has any 4R100's under warranty and, now that they all have near 100K of mileage on them, are almost expected to be in need of repair.

I donno.... I'd Really like to hear a, reasonable, explanation for why it is that Mercon V is no longer deemed harmful, as the designers of the 4R100, once told us it was,,,,,,,

What's changed?

Also, the Dexron III "compatible" replacement fluids, Are they Really Dexron III? OR just another "universal" fluid marketed, but not once intended, for a 4R100?

I'm playing it safe, I will Only put REAL Dexron III, now that I'm the one who's responsible for my transmission, into it. Just like those who made it said to do when it was made
Old 10-03-2009, 11:09 AM
Powerstroke Junkie

Dave, I am well aware of Ford's stance and it is all BS!!! I have discussed this many times on this forum. The owners manual for a 4R100 vehicle specifically states NOT TO USE MERCON V in the 4R100!!! Then all of a sudden they now say it is okay to use, but they never tell us why it is all of a sudden ok. Some claim a reformulation of Mercon V took place. I and several others researched this and it is totally false, we know the fluid is the same, and we sure as heck know nothing has changed with all the tranny's out there, right? So this leaves Ford wanted to simply things and go to one ATF for everything, it will save them many $$$$ to do so, just like they did with the Gold coolant. Just like the gold coolanr which I have proven seevral times doesn't even come close to meeting min cavitation requirements, Ford doesn't care about us 4R100 owners, afterall how many are still under warranty? Not many, plus the wrong fluid won't ruin the seals over night it will takes months or even years depending on how much you drive, surely by that time Ford is counting on none will still be under warranty. Think this wouldn't happen, why don't you go test a jug of the Gold coolant and tell me your results!!! It all comes down to $$$ For the record, no dual rated ATF is to be used either, so if the containers says okay for Mercon V or Mercon/Dexron III, it is not to be used, so read the labels closely.

NCH
Old 10-03-2009, 11:10 AM
Powerstroke Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoRalPh View Post
For anyone who's followed the "trans fluid controversy" I think we know Fords side of it. But, I'd love to hear the defense of it.....

There's 3 factors involved;

1) the fluid itself

2) the transmission

3) Fords responsibility for the 4R100

So, what's changed since we were told that Mercon V was going to be bad for the 4R100 and should Not be put in it?

We know the fluid has not changed....

Has the transmission? Being older, can it's seals and frictions now tolerate what was once damaging?

Or, the most likely, Ford no longer has any 4R100's under warranty and, now that they all have near 100K of mileage on them, are almost expected to be in need of repair.

I donno.... I'd Really like to hear a, reasonable, explanation for why it is that Mercon V is no longer deemed harmful, as the designers of the 4R100, once told us it was,,,,,,,

What's changed?

Also, the Dexron III "compatible" replacement fluids, Are they Really Dexron III? OR just another "universal" fluid marketed, but not once intended, for a 4R100?

I'm playing it safe, I will Only put REAL Dexron III, now that I'm the one who's responsible for my transmission, into it. Just like those who made it said to do when it was made
Ralph, you are a very wise man!!!

NCH
Old 10-03-2009, 12:39 PM

Ok thanks guys. I had my trans re built last summer so I assume the new seals and parts are compatable with any fluid. The only reason I was asking about Penzoil is because Ive heard bad things about their motor oil. Otherwise Im sure the merc/dex3 penzoil is fine to run and flush every 10-15k ???
Old 10-04-2009, 07:31 AM
Powerstroke Junkie

Unless you are towing really heavy, trans fluid should be good to 25-30K, send a sample to Blackstone labs when in doubt!! Pennzoil motor oil is the worst motor oil on the planet. I have opened up more engines than I care to mention that have the Pennzoil sludge build up in them!!

NCH
Old 10-04-2009, 08:48 AM

Here is my input on Mercon V...

The tech that built my trans over a year ago said to use Mercon V. He has built more transmissions than I change my underwear in a year. So I did what I was told and use it in my 4R100. I changed the fluid a month ago, using Mercon V, and no issues so far. Nothing leaks, the fluid came out looking and smelling awesome. I did notice that Mercon V does keep my trans cooler than Mercon III.

That is my personal experience with it. I would say that I have put a good 12-15k on the trans so far with no issues, all of them running Mercon V.
Old 10-04-2009, 09:08 AM

So basically no one has anything negative to say about Penzoil ATF? Basically as long as it meets requirements its all good? My main question is regarding Penzoil atf as a product it self.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.