Trans/diff fluid - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 Old 09-29-2009, 06:35 PM Thread Starter
Banned
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Kansas
Posts: 3,012
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Trans/diff fluid

Gonna be changing the oil this weekend and thought i'd change the transfer case, transmission, and both front and rear diffs. I don't know when it was done last and I'd like to get it in my maintenance log so I can keep it in the right intervals.

I was thinking of goin synthetic in all of them while im at it. Anyone have any suggestions on brands? I already run synthetic engine oil.

Thanks
e99f2506sp is offline  
post #2 of 7 Old 09-30-2009, 07:17 AM
Compression Ignition Addict
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Dallas
Posts: 365
Thanks: 0
Thanked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by e99f2506p View Post
Gonna be changing the oil this weekend and thought i'd change the transfer case, transmission, and both front and rear diffs. I don't know when it was done last and I'd like to get it in my maintenance log so I can keep it in the right intervals.

I was thinking of goin synthetic in all of them while im at it. Anyone have any suggestions on brands? I already run synthetic engine oil.

Thanks
I use MerconV in the transmission and case. Mobile1 80-90 in the front diff and 70-140 in the rear diff.
jgos929 is offline  
post #3 of 7 Old 09-30-2009, 07:47 AM
Powerstroke Junkie


 
NCHornet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Mayberry, NC
Posts: 8,308
Thanks: 0
Thanked 51 Times in 11 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Use synthetic in the transfer case and PS system, reg dino in a auto trans, and in the diffs. If you have LS don't buy any fluids like Ryal Purple that have the modifier already in them. Ford's limited slip has a bad rep cuz Ford used 8 oz of modifier, I reckon they were afraid of any possible chatter. This is way to much, add 2-3 oz and do some tight figure eights, if you hear chatter add another oz of modifier until it goes away. My LS have never worked so good, I have done this to several trucks and most take between 3 to 5 ozs.

NCH

NCH
Proud Father of USAF Airman


2000 F350 DRW,CC,LB, 4X4, Western Hauler Pkg.
Ford AIS/ BTM, FTVB
My CCV MOD, Coolant filter
06 Grill, 05 lights,6.0 trans cooler
Cyro/Hawks, JVC Touchscreen HU, JL C5's, Infinity 800watt amp,
DP tunes, 60 tow/80 e/120 race, on a SCT2 tuner
P3 controller, Brite Box Turbo Lifesaver
KMC Wheels x 4

http://s132.photobucket.com/user/NCH...=recent&page=1

Friends Don't Let Friends Drive Trucks With Generic Tunes
NCHornet is offline  
post #4 of 7 Old 09-30-2009, 05:16 PM Thread Starter
Banned
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Kansas
Posts: 3,012
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCHornet View Post
Use synthetic in the transfer case and PS system, reg dino in a auto trans, and in the diffs. If you have LS don't buy any fluids like Ryal Purple that have the modifier already in them. Ford's limited slip has a bad rep cuz Ford used 8 oz of modifier, I reckon they were afraid of any possible chatter. This is way to much, add 2-3 oz and do some tight figure eights, if you hear chatter add another oz of modifier until it goes away. My LS have never worked so good, I have done this to several trucks and most take between 3 to 5 ozs.

NCH
I've got the 6 speed, and if I looked in the book this morning and I think it calls for synthetic. the 5 speeds and autos call for regular and the 6 calls for synthetic if I remember right. Either way, I'll probably run synthetic in the trans and case.

Any reason not to run synthetic in the diffs other than the rear limited slip? I tow quite a bit if that makes any difference. not heavy all the time, but pretty often.

I've never been a fan of royal purple and a buddy runs mobile 1 in his race car and the insides are always real clean. Obviously out trucks are whole different ballgames, but they've got a good reputation.
e99f2506sp is offline  
post #5 of 7 Old 09-30-2009, 05:28 PM
SyN
Lubrication Addict
 
SyN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Tornado Alley!
Posts: 236
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
e99: U will probably receive alot of different advice on Oil and Gear Oils and Transmission fluids... I myself am very anal about the oils I use... Maybe too anal... I poured in synthetic in my TCase... and synthetic in my front diff and rear diff... I also installed a PML rear diff cover when I replaced my rearend oil the first time after I bought the truck... It Is made from aircraft aluminum and has a fill plug on top and most importantly a drain plug.... So I will never have to take that dang cover off again... to change rear end fluid. I myself feel this is really a added plus esp if you tow alot and for long periods of time... to keep that rearend fluid fresh... But this is just me. Just an thought for ya.

01F250-4WD-XLT-AUTO-CC-7.3L-{295K} Miles
Donaldson AIS Intake System w/Zoodad
4''Turbo Back MBRP Exhaust
Remote Spin-on Coolant Filter/Red {ELC}&RMI-25
Remote Spin-on Transmission Filter/Lg Magnet
203*F T-Stat w/Billet Housing
CCV Re-route
SS HPX Line
Many Other Small Mods
---------------------------------------------------
Oil-------->T6 w/Amsoil Filter & Lg Magnet
AMSOIL-------->Every where else
SyN is offline  
post #6 of 7 Old 09-30-2009, 05:46 PM Thread Starter
Banned
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Kansas
Posts: 3,012
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by SyN View Post
e99: U will probably receive alot of different advice on Oil and Gear Oils and Transmission fluids... I myself am very anal about the oils I use... Maybe too anal... I poured in synthetic in my TCase... and synthetic in my front diff and rear diff... I also installed a PML rear diff cover when I replaced my rearend oil the first time after I bought the truck... It Is made from aircraft aluminum and has a fill plug on top and most importantly a drain plug.... So I will never have to take that dang cover off again... to change rear end fluid. I myself feel this is really a added plus esp if you tow alot and for long periods of time... to keep that rearend fluid fresh... But this is just me. Just an thought for ya.
I appreciate the thought. Seein that your rigs got 275k, I guess synthetic in everything isn't hurtin anything.

Guess I'll run synthetic throughout unless I hear any heavy arguments otherwise. Like I said before, I'm plannin on mobil 1 just cause its easy to get and I've seen it at work.

I'll have to check into the diff cover. a drainplug really sounds like a good idea.
e99f2506sp is offline  
post #7 of 7 Old 10-01-2009, 06:51 AM
Powerstroke Junkie


 
NCHornet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Mayberry, NC
Posts: 8,308
Thanks: 0
Thanked 51 Times in 11 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Those covers with the drain plug look nice but most have the hole up so high you leave a lot of fluid still in the diff. I would rather pull the cover because it gives you a good time to inspect the ring and pinion!! Many synthetics have the modifier in them so be careful. Modern Dino oils have come along way, but if it makes you feel warm and fuzzy run the synthetic, it won't hurt anything.

NCH

NCH
Proud Father of USAF Airman


2000 F350 DRW,CC,LB, 4X4, Western Hauler Pkg.
Ford AIS/ BTM, FTVB
My CCV MOD, Coolant filter
06 Grill, 05 lights,6.0 trans cooler
Cyro/Hawks, JVC Touchscreen HU, JL C5's, Infinity 800watt amp,
DP tunes, 60 tow/80 e/120 race, on a SCT2 tuner
P3 controller, Brite Box Turbo Lifesaver
KMC Wheels x 4

http://s132.photobucket.com/user/NCH...=recent&page=1

Friends Don't Let Friends Drive Trucks With Generic Tunes
NCHornet is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome