Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

What MPH Gives You Max MPG?

1K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  taylorking 
#1 ·
Here's the old set up on my '01 F-250: TW 6pos(stk, lt tow, daily, street, Hi-I, X), S&B CAI, Banks 4" Monster exhaust w/ Power Elbow(EBPV delete), BigHead WGA, TechniCooler, Six-Gun, & Banks compressor wheel. I did a lot of experimenting between the TW & the Banks Six-Gun to see where I can get my max MPG & @ what speed. I found the best combo was daily on the TW & L4 on the Six-Gun keeping it @ a steady 70mph. I consistantly got 17.5mpg +/-. Funny thing was if I cruised just a little over 70(I'm guessing where the needle points, it'd be about 73 or 74:dunno:), my MPG would absolutely go to chit & drop to about 15ish. @ 65MPH, sometimes it'd be low 16s & if I was lucky(maybe it was the weather or a freak occurance) it'd hit low 17s maybe once or twice. Even if I throw it in Street a couple times in a week & take a good blast down the highway, I could still get low to mid 16s as long as I kept the Six-Gun in L3 or L4. L5 or L6 in Street would drop it down to almost low 14s to high 13s & one time even 12MPG:(.

My truck ran relatively cool(EGTs wouldn't climb past 1000* @ WOT in Daily & L4 & about 800* 1/2 throttle same tunes). Tires are always inflated to the proper pressure, regular oil & fuel filter changes & S&B recharged when it looked like light couldn't pass through it anymore, diffs/trans flushed @ regular intervals, & as much as some people might detest it, I regularly change my HPOP oil with oil changes(I don't do the PowerStroke Guy crap, though), & put fuel treatment in it before winter & summer.

What are you guys getting for MPG? How's your truck built? What tunes or parts combos give you guys your best MPGs? @ what speed do you get your max? Anyone with a 100% or close to it stocker that's penciled their fuel mileage?

See less See more
#2 ·
I'm getting like 19.5MPG :thumb:

#3 ·
Damn.........I hate you.:hehe::hehe::hehe:

#4 ·
On stock exhaust and Intake from SLC UT to Boise ID I got 18.6 (Hand calc'd) with about 2500 lbs in the bed doing 78 MPH(I think that is the best for me). Stayed on my Eco tune.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.