"clunk" when I start and stop! Help - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-25-2009, 04:02 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Unhappy "clunk" when I start and stop! Help

I've got a 2000 f250 with the 7.3. It has about 180,00 miles and overall it's in great shape. It has a clunk when I come to a stop and then clunks again when I start up. It's like a bad u-joint, but they're all good. I've checked the slip joint splines and althought they are a little loose, they don't have enough to cause this problem. I've checked the carrier bearing and it's OK. A transmission shop checked it out without finding anything and is guessing that it's slop in the spicer gears. You can get moving without the clunk if you ease down on the gas and creap away. But once you take the slack out of the drive line (or whatever) it clunks. I've been told to just drive it and you'll find out what it is eventually, when it breaks. I've only owned it for about 6 months so I don't have much history. Now I'm towing a 10,000 lb. 32' fifth wheel and would like to find it before I'm stranded. Please Help! This is driving me nuts! Thanks, Jerry
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-25-2009, 04:06 PM
Premium Member

My truck had kinda the same clunk you are talking about, but mine was mainly when i would hit the brakes. I took it in to have it looked at, they told me everything was fine with the driveline. So i took it back a few weeks later with the same complaint, and added my 4x4 doesn't work. So i had them check that and they found my ball joints were completely gone! So i would look into checkin your ball joints out, that might be your problem.
Old 09-25-2009, 05:07 PM
Serving Our Country!

same thing

I have an '02 F250 at work that I drive around in sometimes. has the same issue. I guess I will have to get the ball joints checked as well.
Old 09-25-2009, 05:20 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

I think I have the same problem, I think. I don't think its the ball joints, it seems like a drive line problem. I know some people say to lube some splines? I would like to know more about exactly where to lube.
Old 09-25-2009, 05:47 PM

Try removeing the drive shaft and grease the slip yoke.
Old 09-25-2009, 06:11 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I didn't mention that my 00 is a 2wd. It doesn't react when brakes are applied, only when the truck comes to a comes to a complete stop. Sometimes you can get it to clunk by "loading it" like powerbrakeing it. The slip joint seemed tight, but it wouldn't hurt to grease it anyway. I'll give it a try. Thanks for the help
Old 09-25-2009, 06:30 PM

Hey ive had the same problem for 3 years i cant find it. I took my truck in when I bought it and had the do the steady bearing and clutches in the rear diff and it seamed good for a while. I notice it more when the temp outside is hotter. i checked my backlash a couple weeks ago and it was good. When i get my truck back im going to check the leaf spring bushings. Could it be axel wrap?? if i cant find the problem im just going to drive it till it breaks
Old 09-25-2009, 06:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by strokethis04 View Post
Hey ive had the same problem for 3 years i cant find it. I took my truck in when I bought it and had the do the steady bearing and clutches in the rear diff and it seamed good for a while. I notice it more when the temp outside is hotter. i checked my backlash a couple weeks ago and it was good. When i get my truck back im going to check the leaf spring bushings. Could it be axel wrap?? if i cant find the problem im just going to drive it till it breaks
Did you try to grease the slip yoke as recommended?
Old 09-25-2009, 07:01 PM

ya i tried but it didnt help me
Old 09-26-2009, 02:27 PM

greased it today, only drove about 20 highway miles on the way home, but it seemed to fix it!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.